T56 Transmission Swap

PittySS

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm a little late here but this is all pretty interesting to me. I have a rcsb 4.8 2wd with 193k and a stock nv3500 and stock clutch. I have a 72mm turbo on 11psi with e85 for the last 1000 miles and haven't had any issues. Not saying I won't but I surely expected issues. I plan on swapping to a t56 this winter for its strength and actually being able to shift it quicker. Especially 3rd gear that's where the nv3500 blows. If you rev past 4500 in second it doesn't let you into third gear. Fwiw I've been pounding the tar out of my truck and (knock on wood) the stock clutch and trans hasn't so much as shown any issues. So my question: the t56 clutch is the only problem, correct? I don't want to spend the money on a t56 and regret it.

When I was looking for a RCSB to build an SS clone, I had a t56 and ls3 setup that I wanted to put in along with an AWD setup. From the info I collected at the time was that the trans needed to be atleast a viper spec'd build and you needed a really good clutch to go with it as well. I hear some people have issues with the t56 transmission's in trucks but what I don't get is that there are trucks running well with those factory 5 spd transmissions.

I don't get it either. I've always assumed the nv3500 was a cheap pos. I'm pretty impressed so far. I turned it up to 13psi the other day and the clutch holds but I can't imagine it will for long. Based on people I've raced and weighing in at 4580lbs I have to be close to 400whp.

• 8 years later...