Assassin traction bars setup

So I put some assassin traction bars on my truck this week trying to get the truck ready for my turbo build and I've noticed a couple things about the bars that make me wonder if I have them set up right. First I've noticed that I get more clanking noises from my truck when going over speed bumps and second I noticed when I stop with my truck it comes to a little more of a abrupt stop than before.

I know there is a few other guys on here who have them and I was wondering if you noticed the same things or if maybe I need to tighten/loosen my preload or raise/lower the holes I have my bars in. Right now I'm in the lowest hole in the back and the middle in the front. I have my preload set just enough take up the slack.

That is normal on all traction bars. My assassin bars are the same. I just take it easy over speed bumps and dips. Set them to the lowest holes on both sides.

Yeah I had feeling that was going to be normal. I just never heard anyone mention it and wanted to fix it if it wasn't.

I think I'll leave it in the holes I have it in until after my turbo if that other stuff is normal. The traction bars are kind of a waste for me at the moment with my all stock motor that doesn't make that much power to begin with, 100+ degree temps out here in Phoenix that suck even more power out of my stock motor, and my bald tires that wouldn't hook for crap even if I was making good power.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep mine in track position because im lazy...bottom hole in the back, top hole in the front (most aggressive). I may as well not even have rear suspension when they are preloaded lol

Does the position of the bars affect the ride or is it just the preload?

I read someone on PT.net saying how if your 2wd with a turbo your better off on the top hole in the back and bottom hole in the front. If that's the case then I'll definitely be moving my bars around once my turbo kit is installed. It would be nice if it also helped ride a little because I've noticed these bars don't help the ride the way I have it now.

Edited by poopnewton (see edit history)

The position will affect ride as well as preload.

Changing the angle of the bars changes the "instant center" of the suspension setup. This all has to deal with where the force is applied from the tire through the car. The steeper the angle towards the front the harder the suspension will "hit the tire". The shallower the angle, the slower it will hit the tire. idealy you want the force applied from the tire to the ground to travel in a line that goes exactly through the center of gravity of the car. If the line is above the CG you will spin the tires before you should, if it is below you will pick the front end up. Since I race a 4wd (AWD is the same), you want to plant the rear as hard as possible to let the front tires do some work, which is why I have mine set the way I do.

The risk with hitting it too hard is the tire will spin easier, but you dont waste as much energy in compressing the suspension. With it too shallow you can leave some power on the table. Its a fine balance obviously. The settings may differ side to side as well since the engine rotates to plant the back right tire harder than the left side (same reason it will want to pick up the front left tire first).

Edited by Atomic (see edit history)