Matt's Magnacharger MP122 Install/Build

BlueAKSSS

This is the first time I really read the whole build post and then watched the video. Truck looks very nice and is in excellent shape considering where you live. Shouldn't take much more tuning and it'll be a hell of a runner. One thing you have with that unit is that even though it is the old technology there is plenty available to improve it. Supersub now makes a phenolic spacer for them, rear pulley upgrade kit, front pulley upgrade kit, and has in the past made a 102mm throttle body upgrade for it. All 4 are items that make the blower more efficient, cooler, and reliable. The spacer keeps the heat down and efficiency up. The rear pulley kit allows you to spin the blower faster without having to have a smaller front pulley. A small front pulley tends to bring pulley slip so changing the rears lets you keep the larger front pulley and still make more boost. The larger throttle body swap also brings the boost up without changing any pulley at all effectively making it more efficient. Last but not least if I recall he makes a kit to install the newer 4 bolt pulley up front which allows for a pulley change without having to press the pulley on and off. You simply take the belt off, pull the 4 bolts out, and swap the pulley. Not trying to be a sales person for him, just making you aware of options to bring more fun into it.

Hey Zippy, thanks for the comments! I just got back from driving the truck all weekend as usual out to the lake and back, its been running really good thanks to your excellent tuning. I will keep those upgrades in mind for the future, right now I'm just going to keep it pretty stock to keep from blowing anything up on this truck, I do however have the 4 bolt pulley upgrade on the front so the pulleys can easily be swapped, I have the 3.2 on it right now and notice no slip at all, I also have a 2.8 but like you said swapping the rears is the best. The rear pulleys used to be over driven but I swapped them back to the stock setup to keep the boost at a low level. If I had some extra cash laying around I would definitely look into the spacer but it seems alright for the moment.

I'm going to take it out to the test and tune on Wednesday of this week, should I run the scanner on it when I do some passes?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally made it out to the track for the test and tune well yesterday (Weds 7/16). I made 3 passes with the truck and it ran pretty good, my main problem was heat soak my best run was 14.68 at 91.80 with a 2.21 60 ft. This was with a IAT of 145F so it was definitely hot, outside temp was 70-75f. I think it could run faster, but I'm sure my stock muffler and exhaust manifolds along with high IATs where limiting my times. I sent Zippy the logs maybe there could be some tweaks but I'm guessing that's about all shes got for now.... Anyways I'm happy with the outcome and it was a blast. I've got video just need to edit them and upload I'll try and get them up sometime soon.

Nice run! How much boost are you running?

Thanks, I think it is around 5-6 psi but I did not pay to much attention to my overhead gauge pod during my runs, where the boost gauge is. I really want to get a nice pillar pod setup as the overhead gauges are hard to see. I'll post up the video link in a bit, it's being slow to upload.

I finally made it out to the track for the test and tune well yesterday (Weds 7/16). I made 3 passes with the truck and it ran pretty good, my main problem was heat soak my best run was 14.68 at 91.80 with a 2.21 60 ft. This was with a IAT of 145F so it was definitely hot, outside temp was 70-75f. I think it could run faster, but I'm sure my stock muffler and exhaust manifolds along with high IATs where limiting my times. I sent Zippy the logs maybe there could be some tweaks but I'm guessing that's about all shes got for now.... Anyways I'm happy with the outcome and it was a blast. I've got video just need to edit them and upload I'll try and get them up sometime soon.

I free flowing exhaust would work wonders for you, especially being supercharged. Work on that 60' to get your times down, or is it spinning off the line? MPH is on the low side.

Congrats on getting it put together, I bet she's fun to drive on the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Zippy yesterday and it looks like the 3.2 pulley with the underdriven rear pulleys is only making something like 3-4 psi, thus the slow time. So I swapped on a 2.8 pulley and went for a romp around the block and immediately noticed a huge difference in power and boost. Glancing at the gauge it looks like its around 7-8 psi +/-. I need a pillar pod with a digital boost gauge as its hard to see the overhead console gauges while smashing on it.

I need a pillar pod with a digital boost gauge as its hard to see the overhead console gauges while smashing on it.

You will get use to it. As long as you can read your wide band. The boost doesn't matter so much. I had gauges on my pillar, I ended up taking them off and swapping to the SoCal overhead gauges because every Tom dick and Harry wants to race. Lol!

You will get use to it. As long as you can read your wide band. The boost doesn't matter so much. I had gauges on my pillar, I ended up taking them off and swapping to the SoCal overhead gauges because every Tom dick and Harry wants to race. Lol!

Good call, you are totally right. The wideband is the closest gauge to me and pretty easy to see, so like you said that is all that matters. I'm glad I now don't have to think I need to spend any money on the truck lol!

• 5 weeks later...

Nice runs matt, she sounds awesome.

Thanks! It pulls a lot better now with the 2.8 pulley, never did make it back to the track to see what it could do after the pulley swap, I've just been way to busy. I think the tune needs some adjustments after the pulley swap, other than that it runs excellent!

Thanks! It pulls a lot better now with the 2.8 pulley, never did make it back to the track to see what it could do after the pulley swap, I've just been way to busy. I think the tune needs some adjustments after the pulley swap, other than that it runs excellent!

A pulley change is a world of difference going from 4-5lbs to 9-9.5lbs of boost LOL... What you really need that will put a huge smile on your face and get that pig out of the whole is a nice 3000-3200 stall... It will be night and day difference and you would never regret it....

A pulley change is a world of difference going from 4-5lbs to 9-9.5lbs of boost LOL... What you really need that will put a huge smile on your face and get that pig out of the whole is a nice 3000-3200 stall... It will be night and day difference and you would never regret it....

Like you said the pulley change really wakes it up. I would swap to a different stall other than stock but for what I currently use the truck for I think I will leave it alone. It still pulls really well, especially with the boost kicking in down low in the RPM's, seems to get into boost right around 2500 if I recall.