Matt's Magnacharger MP122 Install/Build

BlueAKSSS

Well I've had this Magnacharger sitting in a box for over a year now and I couldn't resist installing it on my SS. My original plan was to install it on my 57 Chevy or a hot rod LS swap project which may happen down the road but for the mean time I figured I would test it out on my SS....

My truck is pretty stock-ish and the supercharger will be its main power adder. The blower is a older Magnacharger MP122 jackshaft style drive that used to have over-driven rear pulleys, but I replaced them and put them back to the original stock setup as over-driven pulleys would yield way to much boost for my 173,000 mile LQ9. Below is what the build will consist of.

Build list:

E-Fan swap w/oem relay system and fuse box connections

Zippy Tune

MP122

3.2" front pulley stock under driven rear setup

60lb Deka injectors

87mm truck throttle body w/ Xlink 3.5

Larger tank made by Vortech has a big lid so I assume you can put ice in it?

Aftermarket black heat exchanger 24"x10"

Bosch heat exchanger pump

Walbro 255 being used as an inline boost pump

Hacked stock air intake tube

Hacked evap system with hoses and zip tie... (legit) lol

Original wiring, didn't take the time to reroute it or do anything special, maybe one day I will

AEM Wideband

Boost Gauge

Without to much more rambling lets get to the install pics!

20130913_123120_zps7d8aa7ac.jpg

Blower awaiting install...

20140617_124517Medium_zps3c66c93f.jpg

Engine covers, intake and everything pulled apart

20140617_132053Medium_zps1ec09684.jpg

New valley cover plate installed, getting ready to trim the alternator bracket for clearance

20140617_152529Medium_zps736573bc.jpg

Test fit successful!

20140617_181026Medium_zpseb319db3.jpg

Intercooler doesn't look perfect but it works and you don't see it once the grill is on

20140617_230741Medium_zps236b35fc.jpg

20140618_003810Medium_zps0ab31649.jpg

20140618_011350Medium_zps4d5cfebb.jpg

20140618_011358Medium_zps99291509.jpg

Just got back from the first test drive and it runs good on the initial tune Zippy gave me. I did not get into the throttle much (30-40%) and immediately noticed some KR on the scanner and heard some slight detonation under low rpm loads so I didn't push it and I am going to see what Zippy says tomorrow.

Enjoy the pics and I'll be updating this with more info and pics when I install the gauges, updates and videos...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yeah but he doesn't fu** around. He slapped it on and went. Lol. Great job Matt. I've been waiting to see if you were going to install it. Haha maybe Mr. 400 shot will stop bugging you for it now. I'm sure that 122 can yield great numbers, being as you can overdrive it pretty well if you wanted. I'm excited to see it. Hoping Harley, Justin, and myself will all have our blower/turbo builds done by August and we can come down and hangout with everyone. That'd be a good cruise! The 4 of us have had these trucks for too long without getting together and enjoying them. Lol. I've hardly driven mine since I bought it cuz I can't stop screwing with it! Lol anyway, I'll keep and eye on this thread. Get some vids once zippy gets your tune straightened out. :thumbs:

Thanks guys, your definitely right I didn't mess around slapping it on there. I do have some updates, most of my mid day was spent doing some short log runs and sending them back and forth to Zippy and each time it keeps getting better. He sent me a config I need to scan with now but I didn't get a chance to so I am going to try and get some logs in the morning.

The sound of that blower is addicting and I haven't even gone full throttle yet! Seems to have a really amazing power band so far. Makes a huge difference in the way the truck drives, I really like it. Highest I took it was 4500 rpm under I'm guessing about 60-70% throttle, afr is running right about 11.2-11.5 under boost it looks like for the most part. I need to run it with the latest tune and see how it runs and scan it with the new config.

Once everything is up and running 100% I'll get the Gopro out and make a YouTube video... :)

Oh yeah man.. You can plan on that happening!

3 blown SSs and then theres Justin.... :crackup:

WTF does this mean! Lol!! Your just scared. And you should be. My motor is sitting in my shop now. Just waiting. I am getting closer everyday. It is going to be scary!!

I can't wait to get to Palmer. So much that I bought something last night. Just to come down there Matt.

7adumury.jpg

And not the pickup either. Lol.