2003 SSS cam swap questions

I know this has been beaten to death but need some ideas

It's a 03 SSS awd arh 17/8 catted long tubes and Corsa sport

Soon I am going to add a 3000 stall

I don't tow or haul anything

I drive it every day I'm looking for something that's has good gains and a sweet choppy sound what do you guys recommend also while I'm in there what else should I replace I have 90,000 miles

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something with a 112 is choppy. But like I tell people I would have one custom ground. Tell them what your mods are and goal are and it will be better than an off the shelf cam.

Absolutely tooley all the way! The whole omg it's custom thing is bs. It just isn't a run of the mill off the shelf cam. Have Brian or someone who designs cylinder porting programs spec you a cam. They know their cam/valve events in relation to your driving style better than anyone. Oh and it costs the same amount....

I'm looking for a cam that's has that' chunk a chunk at the red light and my biggest priority is shaving 1/4 mile times down right now the SSS runs 14.6@93 my buddy has a 93 vortec charged lighting he runs 13.8 he's always talking shit on the SSS so I wanna beat him on motor no power adders

My truck runs 14.6@93 with k&n cai ARH long tubes and corsa sport
It's not tunes yet I would like to put a 3000 stall with cam and efans and 160 stat I think that should put me down in the 1/4

Its also my dd when I cant ride my bike

Edited by Mcinalli123 (see edit history)

skip the t-stat, ls engines like to run hot. also, any stall speed you choose, your tuner can set it up so it is more drive-able or driver friendly. get a good honest tune first and then let us know where you stand. I I bet you will be very happy with results from just a tune. Before you go upgrading hard parts, I would suggest: 40k transmission cooler, hd2 shift kit, and vette servo's along with a billet 4th apply. A REAL TUNE, e-fans. after seeing where you are at time wise or power wise whichever is your goal, then I would be looking at talking to someone who specs cams. Everyone on here is gonna say their cam is the best : ie: this guy who has a hard on for his cam

Torquer v2 cam 112 lope!

all in all, get your bolt-ons and trans squared away before even deciding on a specific cam and stall. Cam and stall should be matched perfectly! If you want a solid runner there are plenty of setups on here that guys run that you can mimic. IMO this isnt the way to go. I believe bolt ons should be installed, trans upgrades, stall and cam should be matched perfectly!

skip the t-stat, ls engines like to run hot. also, any stall speed you choose, your tuner can set it up so it is more drive-able or driver friendly. get a good honest tune first and then let us know where you stand. I I bet you will be very happy with results from just a tune. Before you go upgrading hard parts, I would suggest: 40k transmission cooler, hd2 shift kit, and vette servo's along with a billet 4th apply. A REAL TUNE, e-fans. after seeing where you are at time wise or power wise whichever is your goal, then I would be looking at talking to someone who specs cams. Everyone on here is gonna say their cam is the best : ie: this guy who has a hard on for his cam

all in all, get your bolt-ons and trans squared away before even deciding on a specific cam and stall. Cam and stall should be matched perfectly! If you want a solid runner there are plenty of setups on here that guys run that you can mimic. IMO this isnt the way to go. I believe bolt ons should be installed, trans upgrades, stall and cam should be matched perfectly!

who do you recommend to tune ?

well do you want a mail tune or an in person tune? theres a ton of great shops scattered threw out the north east as well as the mail order tuners like zippy, blackbear, weatley....

I don't have a 1/4 here but went from 9.4 to 8.5 in the 1/8 after my stall n cam. That right there is enough to put a 13.4 to 13.6 1/4 run down. You won't have any prob either when you get yours done. That's why I say call BT. You can tell him all your goals and he can get you there.

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)