99-07 4WD Front Coilover Conversion

Atomic

Hey guys, I am mainly on performancetrucks.net so youll have to excuse my low post count here, but I thought some of you guys would be interested in the brackets I make to convert 99-06 4wd trucks and suvs to front coilovers. The whole thing is a bolt on deal just requiring a little trimming in one spot. I think a couple of guys that come here have tried it so far.

This is to bring the conversation to this forum since I know a lot of your AWD SSS guys probably want something better than messing with strapping down the front end. I attached a write up I did ton this swap in a PDF and also an installation guide I made. I also added the spreadsheet I made that helps in picking out what shock and springs you need. The "main measurement" is from the middle of the lower shock bolt to the top of the frame shock perch with the truck at the ride height you want.

Let me know if there are any questions!

You can download them here:

PDF Explaining the swap: http://www.mediafire.com/view/e19jgdo2yaesia7/coilovers_about_v13.pdf
PDF Explaining the installation process: http://www.mediafire.com/view/1xpc1d63xfw95fw/coilovers_install_v13.pdf

Edit: Updated PDFs and added latest spreadsheet

Shock-Springv5.zip

Edited by Atomic (see edit history)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it only works with factory LCA. With that said, you could probably achieve the same amount of drop with coilovers and the factory LCA as you could with tbars and the DJM arm.

I have looked at the DJM arm and if you have the skills to reinforce the shock attachment area then you may be able to get that LCA to work for the purpose of coilovers.

Richard, this is my winter project for my truck. I will be tryin this out. I have read through all your write ups and people are having very good results on this.

Right now I'm just trying to get my truck back together. We don't have much summer up here.

Thanks for throwing this out over here.

Good to see you around Richard! I'll be doing this mod as well as soon as I get my truck running. Getting rid of these damn spindles and putting my stockers back on. Keep one on the shelf for me!

The 2wd tahoe guys have done this since they still use a torsion bar setup. I imagine the truck LCA is the same as the tahoe LCA since they are both torsion bar setups. If you can post a picture of your LCA I can say for sure, but am 98% sure it will work.

this will be my next project once I get everything else all wrapped up. so sick of torsion bar suspension!! Would I have to swap back to my stock knuckles for this to work or can I still use my belltech drop ones?

LCA are the same on RWD and AWD SS torsion bar trucks.

This coil over swap would be to do away with the torsion bar setup right?

I'd probably be interested in this kit if there's an advantage in transferring the weight for drag racing purposes.

Weight savings advantage is about 100lbs I hear?

My setup certainly works a lot better with coilovers, even when I had limiting straps on the front with the tbars.

The entire tbar setup (shocks, keys, bars, crossmember, and bolts) is about 71lb. My coilover stuff weighs about 30 pounds, so there is some weight savings there.

I think aftermarket knuckles will work, but am not positive. I dont see any reason why they wouldnt.

Heres a video I have launching at a track. Cant remember what time I ran but I usually run in the 6.5 range with around a 1.4x 60ft time.

It spins the front about 50ft out which is why its a little squirely, but is extremely controlled coming back in.

Heres one at a "street" race event,

Edited by Atomic (see edit history)