Been a while - got a few questions

BenKey

Hey all! It has been quite a few years that I made it to these parts and glad to see that the site still thrives and at least some of the people I remember are still around. Really surprised that you all let that Zippy-dude stay here :)

I still have my truck and it is still in its heavily modified state and has been running pretty good. It still has less than 40k miles on it and only use it now to pull my boat to the Potomac river on weekends or if I need to haul something. My wallet would not support me using it to drive to work in Washington DC traffic. Luckily I have a car that was left to me in a divorce a few years back.

Anyway, I want to add a new alternator but was unsure as to which one was working really well for everyone. I know there is a factory 145A direct replacement model to replace my factory 105A. Does this work for '03 models? I have read some posts on here that there are differences between the models and just want to make sure if I went that route I would have everything I needed if I had to modify something. Has anyone tried the DB Electric 220A model, and if so, how has it been working for you? they claim direct replacement for factory with no mods needed.

I also have a feeling that my belt tensioner has grown tired after 11yrs and is a little weak. I shredded a belt a couple of years back and noticed how easy it was to put the new belt on. It hasn't caused me any problems but every time I put a little gas into it I think back to the time it shredded and wonder if it is going to do it again. I thought I remembered back i the '05-'06 timeframe someone going to a better aftermarket version and would like to look into that before giving into the factory design. If anyone has any experience in that area, please provide info.

And the last thing...I was deployed overseas when the recall came out for the gauge cluster replacement. I really need to get that fixed as nearly all of my gauges are fixed in some strange position and don't really work at all. Has anyone done this on their own or is this a dealership thing only? I could see them possibly saying they needed to touch the BCM or PCM when this is done, but not sure if that is true or not?

Anyway, hope everyone has been doing well. Thanks for the time and responses. Happy Memorial Day!

Welcome back! Thank you for your service. :flag:

The factory 145 amp alternator is a DR44G, all you should need for the upgrade is a new 93" belt. Get in touch with Steve, Silverado777 a.k.a. GM Gauge Guy, he can get your cluster back up to new condition for a fraction of what the dealer would charge.

It's great to see you back man. You were the first person to help me with questions back in 05. Glad to see you still have the truck.

Thanks. Hopefully I didn't steer you wrong? How are your headers holding out? Mine are doing pretty good. I remember being the guinea pig for using them on an AWD.

Welcome back! Thank you for your service. :flag:

The factory 145 amp alternator is a DR44G, all you should need for the upgrade is a new 93" belt. Get in touch with Steve, Silverado777 a.k.a. GM Gauge Guy, he can get your cluster back up to new condition for a fraction of what the dealer would charge.

Thanks. My last Memorial Day on active duty. Never thought 29+yrs would go by this fast.

Just to give an idea, what is the size of the factory belt? My belt is not factory size due to some modifications.

You even remember the headers haha that's great. They are still on and are going strong. Never a leak or broken bolt so for the money I paid they have paid for themselves 3 times. Happy Memorial Day to you and thanks for what you do.

Good to see you back. Glad to see an original member back like yourself :chevy:

I heard a bout the BenKey cam special (just in sigs, not anymore info), any possible future orders? With the new members you may have some interest. Hope the truck is treating you well.

Good to see you back. Glad to see an original member back like yourself :chevy:

I heard a bout the BenKey cam special (just in sigs, not anymore info), any possible future orders? With the new members you may have some interest. Hope the truck is treating you well.

Hmmm...the BenKey cam...that would have been one member that used to have that in their sig. Made the custom roll pan for the truck. Can't remember his name off the top of my head. Lives in OK.