The Storm

rcapone

Before I added the big exchanger and pump, mine was around 10 degs above ambient just driving around town...now it's around 30. It was 58 degrees when I made my run this morning but IAT was 88.

The only reason I haven't changed my setup is because I want to see if the ice box works at the track, but more than likely it will be coming off next year so I can experiment with different routing/pump options since it's much more of a street truck. I may go back to the bosch pump in the same location under the battery and keep the big exchanger. One would think that the engineers at Magnuson experimented with different options as part of the R&D and already chose the most efficient option, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Thanks Jason! I know I've said it before, but I'm jealous of your truck too...love that blue man! Now that you've got that Denali lookin sweet, I'd love to see you slap a Maggie on there!

A 10 second run would surprise me, but I'm honestly not getting my hopes up because of my big ass wheels. Although, I was really surprised this morning when my times improved so much just from the second update Zip gave me. I'm anxious to see what he has up his sleeve for the track this Friday! I just hope they're cool there and let me make a few passes - one and done would really suck!

Looks good, I have big ass wheel syndrome too even though I know it doesn't help.

I just finally got the tuning stuff done on mine too, took forever but makes such a difference. Now to actually find time to go to a track and find an AWD dyno.

Will hopefully be getting my interior and some engine bay wiring cleanup done over the winter.

Looks good, I have big ass wheel syndrome too even though I know it doesn't help.

I just finally got the tuning stuff done on mine too, took forever but makes such a difference. Now to actually find time to go to a track and find an AWD dyno.

Will hopefully be getting my interior and some engine bay wiring cleanup done over the winter.

Yeah I remember reading your awesome build thread. Hope you can make it to the track this fall and post up your results...good luck!

Not that I know anything about supercharging. But in the hydronic heating world it is possible for fluid to be pumped too fast which would cause your symptoms. Why? because the fluid is going thru the cooler too fast and doesnt have enough time to reject the heat. It is the same in the air conditioning in your truck if you slow the fan it will actually blow cooler air because the air has more time for the heat to be absorbed by the evaporator. Kind of the same principle in the heating side. If that all makes sense anyways....haha. Loving your truck and makes me want a supercharger.

Edited by wantaSSS (see edit history)

Not that I know anything about supercharging. But in the hydronic heating world it is possible for fluid to be pumped too fast which would cause your symptoms. Why? because the fluid is going thru the cooler too fast and doesnt have enough time to reject the heat. It is the same in the air conditioning in your truck if you slow the fan it will actually blow cooler air because the air has more time for the heat to be absorbed by the evaporator. Kind of the same principle in the heating side. If that all makes sense anyways....haha. Loving your truck and makes me want a supercharger.

Thank you. The Maggie is awesome but can become a money pit if you want to keep going faster like me, lol

Well, today I swapped back to my old Bosch pump and the IAT's were running 10+ degrees higher than the Varimax! ...so much for my theory. It's obviously the coolant sitting inside the ice box and the lengthy runs of plumbing. ...Great for the track but not so great for driving around town

I did try out the ice box today for the very first time and it worked freekin awesome! IAT's went from 100 to 77 instantly and only went up to around 102 after a wot pull. The wot pull I did before that with no ice, they went from 100 to 162 with the Bosch pump. Ambient was about 62

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Ya I've seen that chart and the others by Lingenfelter. I think the most notable thing is how fast the Bosch pump falls off due to any head pressure.

All just my opinion and I am in the process of testing so we shall see. But my thoughts.

I think you want as high a volume as possible to intercooler as the more you push through it the better your chances of keeping fresh cool water in it. On the flip side the hx requires slow enough flow to allow the air to pull the heat away from it. To offset you can increase HX size to compensate for the increased flow.

Something to note, the Maggie intercooler inlet and outlet are only like 1/2" max. I can't even get my pinky into it. Not the anodized coolant manifold but if you remove that manifold the holes are much smaller. I actually borescoped my intercooler to inspect it and just because.

Here you can see them

1C1B0114-F451-4061-B930-41B323455287_zps

While I know Magnacharger put a lot of R&D into the kits, one thing to remember is that the kits are designed to run 6-7 psi with a 1900 bolted on top. The 2300 kit uses the same intercooler and lower manifold so with that being said a stock kit is optimized for approx 12-13k blower rpm. We are spinning 18k plus with a .4l larger compressor. That works out to 75% more airflow

Good point. It just seems a bit weird they would have 3/4" hose attaching to 1/2" inlets since cooler IAT's = better performance no matter how many RPM's you're spinning it.

I'd be very interested to know what you find out from them and if/how the inlets can be made larger.