Custom Embroidered Headrest

NipRing

So about 6 weeks ago I was trying to locate some tilt headrest because I find them to be much more comfortable when I drive. On eBay I found some pewter tilts that I believe came out of a Hummer. The seller screwed up and sent me a set of stock pewter non tilting silverado headrest first, apologized, told me to just keep them and then sent the correct ones (this will be important later).

Now I was searching the web for someplace I could get some embroidery work done in them. The first google result was almost always the autoEmbroidery.com website. They said they could do anything and have an impressive set of pictures of work they've done. Unfortunately, after two weeks and multiple emails, there was not one reply.

Back to searching the web. I came across a 16 page thread on a Ford Raptor website about a guy who was doing custom embroidery for these guys. I read all 16 pages and there wasn't a bad word said about his work. He had a contact number so I figured what the heck. We texted back and forth for a few days. I honestly didn't think he'd be interested but he was. So we talked about digitizing the image, prices, shipping, about how long it would take etc.

So I shipped out the headrests. But after he received them, he told me the tilt covers are not removable. But if I had a plain set that the covers came off of, like the rear covers, we'd be in business. Well, it just so happened I had that extra set from eBay.

He's interested in joining the site to expand his business. However since he's not really selling merchandise but instead a service, I didn't know if he'd be required to be a paid vendor or not. But i'm sure he'll offer up any info people ask about.

Oh hell, here's the pics already!
u2yzu2yz.jpge6usevyd.jpghunavaje.jpg

Edited by NipRing (see edit history)

Well, I'm not sure what he's gonna charge. My understanding was I paid for the digitizing of the logo. So i'd guess thats doesn't need to be done for anyone else, unless they want something different. I don't know what the cost of stock pewter headrests, cause like i said, they were sent to me by mistake. But he charged me $30 to digitize, $20 per headrest embroidery, $25 for return shipping. So he charged me $135

I also spent $50 on the headrests and i worried about my headrests getting damaged on the way there so i spent more to ship mine down (($40 insured vs $30 uninsured). And I actually included one of my stock SS embroidered headrest for the heck of it so they can see what it loos like from the factory. Plus another $15 for sending the right set of headrests.

So for me, i spent about $240. But I'd guess now that the image is digitized, and w/ regular shipping around $30 (and not having to send down another set). But you'll still have to find a pair of stock headrests, i paid $50.

Around $185 total.

I did mention to him about the other official colors. I think he chose just the right shade of red. I'm sure he does his research.

And ya know, we haven't had too many really nice days here in WI and i was glad for that…driving around with only one headrest in my truck, it was kinda embarrassing. I barely rolled them down on the couple warm days we did have. Well thats the end of that!

This would have taken approx 11-12 days from the time I shipped to the time got them back but i had to ship that second set. So it was about 18 days with 1 headrest lol!

Edited by NipRing (see edit history)

• 5 months later...