So…I had to buy a new front Diff...

I had the usual groan when letting off the gas, but last week thursday (thinking back on it) there was a pop sound (like a large stone hitting the underside of the truck) when i was getting on the freeway after work. It was raining, and honestly while I had driven in sloppy winter weather, this was the first actual rain i had driven these new tires in. I though "Wow, these are loud when they're wet!" (it sounded just like really knobby tires) It rained for 2 days, but once it was dry out I knew something was up. It was coming from up front but i thought it was a wheel bearing. Yeah, i replaced the bearing last night...nope.

So after i searched the web last night and called around today, I finally decided on one from autozone. Everywhere I could even find one to order (no one has it in stock locally that i could find) best warranty was 1 year. So, autozone had it for $985 with free shipping to my house, plus a $250 core charge and tax brought it to almost exactly $1300. But, right now they have an online only deal that for every $100 you spend online you get a $25 gift card. And this qualified. So in the end, after i return the core to autozone, I'll receive the $225 gift card and essentially have paid $825 for the diff. It has the 1 year warranty and from what i can tell its manufactured by Midwest Transmission Center in MN. And yes I called them too. I considered even making the 4.5 hour drive each way to pick it up but they aren't open on weekends. Through them it would have been $930 with tax, and about $90 in shipping (both the new and the return core) plus the refundable 250 core charge.

Should be here by next friday. I want to do this right. What would be an ideal break-in schedule? I'm going to run Amsoil. Which fluid should i use for which stage of the break-in? Any other things i should replace as long as I have to have the diff out anyway?

No more groaning though :thumbsup:

Also, in case anyone want to know, the part number was 440-01336B. However the gm part number (which is discontinued by the way) is 15860636.

One more thing, i contacted Jasper Engines. They told me they don't even reman those anymore because there are (supposedly) so few of them its not worth it. I had limited knowledge of what vehicles came with this diff so i couldn't argue. But now from what vehicles i've seen this part cross reference too, thats bologna.

Edited by NipRing (see edit history)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I myself would run what GM advises to run. I used the Mobil synthetic for my diff and havent had an issue. Im ot wasting money on a big brand name when its virtually the same oil with a different name.After 500 miles change the oil like the manual says. Then refill with what ever brand you want. You owners manual will tell you when it needs to be changed. I think it says once every 25K if I remember right. I would check your T case and change the fluid in that. The chains are known for stretching with some age and can also make growling noises.

Will they actually give you $25 for every $100 even if it's just one item? I bought an optima battery and few other things from them online during the holidays and it was over $200 just for the battery. But I had to make 2 orders in order to get the gift cards for each amount spent.

And it takes like 3 months or so before they send them out, I still haven't got mine lol

There's probably a process to redeem them, just never looked into it, but if your gonna get a few make sure you read the small print so you get that money.

Thanks for the info Bill. I never thought to try an aftermarket parts house for the diff. but knew that they are getting hard to find.

I think that Blown 346 pretty much got it right on fluid and changes. I think that that first fluid change at 500 miles is very important.

I've had to rebuild the diff in my truck and have become paranoid about it. I change the fluid, (Mobil 1 full synthetic) about every 15,000 miles.

This is great news. I'll be pulling the trigger on one of these ASAP. The salvage yard wanted $800 for a unit with 90,000miles on it already!

Thanks for the post and part number!

Autozone website shows that 440-01336B will not fit a 2004??? I spoke with their vendor and they said it is the same part #!

Edited by tayldss (see edit history)

http://www.midwesttrans.com/chevy_gm_8.25_front_centersection.html

This page lists this part number for a variety of vehicles, oddly it doesnt seems to list the SS configuration but it was confirmed as the correct part number by the salesman from Midwest Transmissions. I'd be 99% sure it was the same but you could always call them up to be sure. That auto zone sale ends april 8th by the way.

Nice find. I have an extra one in the garage but this would be a better way to go than rebuilding my spare one. Im guessing the autozone one is still a GM product right?

I wish I'd have actually had this in my hands before the sale is over so I could be 100% sure its right. I'd hate for this to be wrong and people are ordering to get the deal. I won't get it until next Friday. I know the deal will be over by then but I'll be sure on compatibility and it would still be a legit part resource.

I just ordered mine. Figure it's Autozone so if it turns out to be wrong, I'll just return it! Couldn't pass up the deal with the gift card when compared to how much a rebuild would cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever get your front diff from Autozone???

I've been getting dicked around for the last 3weeks now. "ships within 3-5 business days" is a load of bs. I was later told "processing" takes 3-5 business days.

I didn't get shipping info til last week with an eta of 4-28-14. I haven't seen it yet. Was just told 4-28 was an "estimate" so I contacted the freight company.

They say the shipment is pending a notify appointment being scheduled with my prior to delivery and they left a message to schedule on 4/29. They don't have a number to contact for the appointment. So I check the bill of lading and my phone number is clearly shown! I haven't received any phone calls or emails regarding this and I'm beginning to get rather angry about it. I placed the order April 7th and here we are going into May and my truck is still sitting.

What am I to do?!?! Feels like i'm getting the run around from both autozone and the freight company now. I could have ordered to pick up at a store if I knew this was going to be such a PAIN

Edited by tayldss (see edit history)

Their customer care sucks for sure. It all came down to part availability from the manufacturer. They had no cores on hand. I called plenty of times with the ole WTF?

Fear not....

ta5y9ery.jpg

It came today. Hope I'll get it in this weekend.

Indeed! I'm also expecting my DJM rear sway on Friday, my TBSS airbag on Friday, and supposedly the front a arms to my 2-3/3-4 kit on Friday as well. And possibly the SSS poster along with a bunch of decals from Idaho in the next few days. Plus I sent off my two new adjustable headrest along with the two stock rears for some custom embroidery on Monday, they should be back next Friday (I'll put up plenty of picks when those come back). And to top it off, Monday I start my new job, $4/hr raise (I'm a union carpenter being bumped up to superintendent). So yeah it's like Xmas/B-Day/Easter/etc lately!