It really is in a barn

I have been doing a partial restoration to a mint 69 SS RS Indy Pace Car Camaro convertible and I stooped at a large junk yard owned by a 78 year old man that I haven't seen in years. He actually stocks some new aluminum heads, Ralleye wheels, beauty rings and center caps. He has built some super nice hotrods over the years.

We visited awhile and he said I have been hearing a lot about your truck and the landspeed records you have set. I was telling him a little about my truck and how at 53,000 miles it still looked like new and showed him a picture of it with a black billet grille with a bright red bow tie in the center of it and red hockey stripes. Then he says " Oh they are really nice and ride so comfortable, I have one up at the house with just 17,000 miles on it and I need to get it out and clean it up.

I didn't ask then if he wanted to sell it because I didn't want to appear to be to anxious but I new that the Blue Book value on a low mile 03 SS is around $21,500.00. I may wait a couple of weeks and drop back in and ask him if he would price it. He may not be interested but I think it could be bought for $17,000.00 to $18,000.00.

When I do stop in I will ask him if we could go see it and if I could take some pictures. He an my Brother in Law who dude to own a Dodge dealership have been friends for over 50 years. They must have 500 to 700 hundred cars in their yard right now and I counted at least 8 men that were going and finding parts for people then when they have time they pull engines and transmissions, radiators, Convertors etc and enventory them.

When I do stop in I will ask him if we could go see it and if I could take some pictures. He an my Brother in Law who dude to own a Dodge dealership have been friends for over 50 years. They must have 500 to 700 hundred cars in their yard right now and I counted at least 8 men that were going and finding parts for people then when they have time they pull engines and transmissions, radiators, Convertors etc and enventory them.

Sounds like a cool operation.

I got the SS RS Indy Pace Car on the road last week after sitting in back of my shop for nine years. I won't go into detail but because of three strokes I can't comprehend and follow instructions therefore I can't post pictures. If you would send me your email address I will send you a picture of the Camaro and my SS Silverado and would appreciate it if you would post them in an appropriate place.

If anyone will step up send your address to: [email protected]

My SSS has a five piece black billet grille and smoked covers over all lights. I etched the Bowtie and painted it the same color red that I had the hockey stripe painted and also painted the small Bowtie in the center of the wheels the same color. The truck now has around 500 flywheel HP and I hold six landspeed records in it. I will run it on May 2&3 for the first time with the new Torque in it and should get three or four more Landspeed records by trying to reset my own records if the winds aren't angry.

The 97 Formula Firebird has 71,000 miles and is in mint condition and doesn't have a single door dent or ding and the interior is as clean as the exterior. It has subframe connectors, adjustable torsion bars and shocks and a tower brace and polyurethane bushing along with long tube headers, Arizona Speed and Marine throttle body and mass airflow sensors along with equal length headers and should be great for Autocross which I want to try when I can locate a club that holds them.

The 98 Corvette has 21,000 miles on it and has around 400 rear wheel HP and I carry it to the dragstrip about four times a year, I bought my first Corvette when I was eighteen and carried it to the dragstrip I guess the next weekend and I pretty much have had a Corvette constantly since then filling in the gaps with four new Z/28'S and 409 and 427 SS Impalas.

I am recovering from a heart attack followed within a month by three strokes that deleted my memory and put me in a wheelchair for two years and the Docs told my Wife that I would never be any better. The grace of a God and a loving supportive family got me through the critical time but the day that my two Daughters rolled to a nice building behind our house and turned the lights on and I saw the beautiful cars and truck I knew then I had to work hard and get out the wheelchair and drive again.

Today I walk very slowly and lean heavily on my custom walking stick due to Parkinson's Desease and Rheumatoid Arthritis with chronic pain being my worst enemy..

It's not that fast the cam and the LSXrt intake are more for top speed which I hope on May 3,4 that it will run 137 to 140 MPH in the standing mile. It is not used up in one mile it takes a lot of torque getting a 6,000 truck moving, I think if we ran 1 1/2 miles it would run over 145 before it started to run out of gearing. It has ran 13.96 in the 1/4 mile which is no slouch I guess.

• 1 month later...

Seems like a fun spot to be Garrell! I absolutely love your truck, I am not a murdered out fan but with the red I dig it.

Something similar happened to me within the past month (meeting someone) and I will just say I am surrounded by custom vettes and a low milage SSS. His first response when seeing my truck "those things are too damn slow" while taking pictures of it near a Caboose.