MID12sSSS TVS2300 370 build

MID12sSSS

Man the more I read about your build the more I want a 2300.I have been looking at different power adders and I think I am going 2300.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Be warned.. It's A LOT more work than I anticipated. The truck style blower is direct drive and bolt on. I wanted something different that would yield awesome gains so I picked up a jackshaft. But that's just the beginning, as you can see. I'll keep updating this tread as more progress unfolds, and if you plan to do the same in the future, this can be a good "how to" for ya. :thumbs:

Good info on the pump, now I understand that head exchanger is massive!

I'm always a fan of polished stuff, how are you going about polishing your various pieces? Bench buffer or are you doing it by hand? Also that blower would look awesome polished surrounded by the arrival blue truck.

Well I've got a 600 grit roloc on my die grinder. On the coated GM brackets, I use that to knock off everything to a bare aluminum. Then I do a 600 dry then wet, then a 1000 dry then wet. Then I have a 3 step polisher for my die grinder as well. Picked it up at Hytek. :thumbs:

Its got a cutting, polish, and finish pad. I just use a Meguires buffing compound, finished by a chrome polish. The aluminum rails were all hand sanded and then machine buffed. But the brackets needed a little extra. I'll see how well that aviation paint stripper worked on that powdercoater bracket today. I'll start sanding and buffing and take a pic and see what you think. I'm sure I'll have atleast 8 hrs into that blower, but I think it'll look awesome polished! All the other parts I'm having cleared at the powdercoater, but I probably won't clear the blower. Not sure how it'll like the 400 degree oven.

If you've got a better technique, let me know!! I didn't do much research. Just played around with it to see what worked.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Man the more I read about your build the more I want a 2300.I have been looking at different power adders and I think I am going 2300.

Hahaha keep watchin youtube vids of the cog drive setups and you'll want one more and more. :lol:

Eddie has some pretty good 1/4mi clips of him in his TVS2300 370 SS. It moves out incredibly quick. Him and Kevin are doing incredible things with that truck. I won't spoil his fastest time, but it's frickin quick. I'm sure we'll be hearing more from him this summer when he shatters chases record :cheers:

AWESOME bro! Can't wait too see it all come together...keep up the good work!

You won't be too far behind! I'll be buggin you for tips when my 80e is ready to go in. :thumbs:

I actually spoke to Eddie the other night... he's a real good dude.

Yeah. We text back and forth every once in awhile. Hes got a real similar build so im always picking his brain.

Lol so that aircraft paint remover didnt even touch the powdercoat.. I soaked that test piece in it overnight and it didnt do anything. LOL. So im gonna kick it up to 11.. Thought about getting some MEK and seeing if i cant melt my fingertips off. Lol.. But after referencing MSDS and doing some research, i decided against it. Lol! Its a known carcinigen and will leave burns. Not to mention my rubber gloves would be almost useless. Even the aircraft stripper started to melt my acrylic brush :lol:

So I did some reading and found a "gasket remover" in a spray can that should so the trick. I really down want to expose it to glass beading or anything. That cant be good for the rotors if i happen to accidentally get any inside.

Yeah. We text back and forth every once in awhile. Hes got a real similar build so im always picking his brain.

Lol so that aircraft paint remover didnt even touch the powdercoat.. I soaked that test piece in it overnight and it didnt do anything. LOL. So im gonna kick it up to 11.. Thought about getting some MEK and seeing if i cant melt my fingertips off. Lol.. But after referencing MSDS and doing some research, i decided against it. Lol! Its a known carcinigen and will leave burns. Not to mention my rubber gloves would be almost useless. Even the aircraft stripper started to melt my acrylic brush :lol:

So I did some reading and found a "gasket remover" in a spray can that should so the trick. I really down want to expose it to glass beading or anything. That cant be good for the rotors if i happen to accidentally get any inside.

Sounds like the way your doing your buffing works great, just never have done it that way. I've always used a bench buffing setup with a course and finishing polish pads and compounds. If there is no easy or safe way to remove the powder coating off that blower I wouldn't mess with polishing it. Might be to hard to get polished up... Although if the finish does easily strip right off then it might not be to bad to polish. That would be a bad time if blast media or stripper went inside the blower :lol:

Lol. Yeah. That's what I was thinking. If it doesn't bubble and wipe off, I won't even screw with it. Not worth making an ugly blower out of a nice looking one. But I figured if I could easily strip it down to bare aluminum, it'd be cake to polish.

Yeah. I don't have a bench polisher, but the die grinder wheel is essentially the same thing. It gets in the hard to reach places. I polished Justin's 90mm throttle body he posted on his build thread. Turned out as good as my rails.

Brian Tooley's order and Joe @ Left Coast 32 should be real close to sending out everything I need to start making some huge progress. I called Joe and he's waiting on one more bracket. The sooner everything gets here, the sooner I can polish it and bolt it on. Gonna see if I can find some chrome 12 sides hardware to use with all my brackets.

Well I talked to Hytek, and unfortunately media blasting is my only option for getting that blower down to bare aluminum. So if I were more determined, I'd be disassembling the blower entirely and blasting the case and brackets. But, I think I'm going to leave it the way it is, and polish everything else I possibly can. :lol: The black will still look great with the blue and polished accents. On a positive note, atleast I know the black finish will hold up for years to come. Haha I soaked it in aircraft stripper overnight and that powder coat didn't even budge. Props to Magnuson for that. So, future reference for anyone wanting a polished unit, buy it polished. Haha. Otherwise you're in for a lot of work. I'm gonna ask joe how he got his bare. I'm sure he ordered it that way. Here's a pic of his...

image_zps1f23d52a.jpg

nice pictures, nice build ,lots of work and lots $$$$$$$$$$

Hahaha. You of all people should know! Im still feeling it out. Youve been there, done that. :lol:

Ill be in touch. Gonna be buggin you and kevin here within the next few weeks. Gonna get my fuel system and motor built, then its time for some tuning. Ill throw the 80 in shortly after and just do a segment swap. Soon after i can do some 0-60 and 55-90 pulls and get her dialed in! I dont want to expect too much.. Ill be happy if i even touch 11.99. Im assuming ill be somewhere in the 11.45 area right out of the box. Then with some serious tuning time and a good set of drag radials, may try to get better times than even that. All i know is ive seen people run 10s with a lot less.. Not to0 long ago, two 10second trucks popped up with slips. I asked them what they were running and they responded "junkyard stock blocks with about 16psi from a T76"... Like i said. No idea where ill be or what to expect. Never built anything like this before and have very little track experience. But im gonna try my hardest to hit 10s!

Anyway, hopefully next week ill have some more progress for you guys. Later this week i should just about have everything polished up and ready for clear. Ill be sure to post pics of all that as well.

Damn I love that SS!!!!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're referring to mine, thanks! :cheers: Some more pics my girlfriend took a while back. http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/84406-pics-of-my-ss-as-it-sits/

Hasnt changed too much since, besides the window tint, tailgate badges, bumper mod, and the motor upgrades that are currently underway. I just had it polished, waxed, and sealed too! Now its sitting outside covered in snow. :lol: Oh well. It'll be cleaned and another coat of wax put on soon enough. Got some more cool ideas for the exterior yet.. Ill post pics as soon as they're painted and installed. :thumbs:

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)