Trying to get tilt headrests

NipRing

Non-tilting headrests in my truck is just something i can't stand lol. I'm hoping i can get some similar tilt headrests and get them recovered with my SS skins. I'm looking at a pair from an 05 escalade but I'm unsure of the spacing of the bars and the seller (salvage yard selling on ebay with 1000s of listings) never gets back to me with measurements.

Is there a verified compatible part from another vehicle that anyone else has used? I thought i read somewhere here that somebody tried using a Hummer H2 pair that fit but he couldn't get them to tilt once installed. Any info would be appreciated.

Im taking about taking the coverings off my existing SS headrests and putting them on a different set of tilt headrests. Not new embroidery, if thats what you're talking about. My buddy's neighbor does all kinds of custom interior work. This job would be a piece of cake for him.

Your in luck (kinda). I'm half way through this project. I bought a pair of H2 tilting headrests. The H2 headrests, along with the Escalade ones fit in out seats the same way they fit in the original vehicle. The measurements between the posts are the same. This is the problem though, the actual headrests are different sizes. The tilting headrests are slightly larger than the non tilting ones. They are close but not close enough. I messes one of the smaller SS covers up trying to get it to fit over the larger tilting headrest foam. That is about as far as I have gotten with this project at this time. Right now I have a SS headrest on my passenger seat and a black tilting H2 one on my driver's side seat. The other two are taken are taken apart and sitting in the garage until I figure out what I'm doing.

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

For the life of me i couldn't find where you posted about doing this. I'm glad you chimed in. Can the foam be swapped over as well? Otherwise these are the ones i bought. They listed for 99-06 silverado. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301107511141?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:BIN&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2650

I'm gonna say no in regards to swapping the foam. The tilting mechanism is bigger which makes the foam bigger and ultimately the headrest bigger. I'm sure there is a solution out there, I just haven't figured it out yet. Put the two side by side and you will see the size difference.

On the plus side, score on those headrests! They look like the exact color to match the SS interior and a great price. I would see if you can bring those new headrests (along with the original ones) to some type of embroidery show and have them stitch the SS logo on the new tilting headrests. I would then box up the originals and keep them safe in the event you sell the truck and can offer all the 'original' parts. I wish I had done that vs messing up one of my factory SS headrest cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so after the ebay seller sent me the wrong headrests, the correct ones came in yesterday. Heres a few comparison pics

61D83D29-9194-4485-9D21-B804AA5666AB_zps

B3BF8DCE-FDCA-41D4-A2DE-5FC908A6DF8D_zps

4F5399BF-9F4E-446A-9E9E-27E408A5FFB2_zps

There is a plastic underside cover i took off just to see the mechanism. If i was a real automotive interior creator, i could see getting that mech inside the stock size headrest.

Here's a shot of the headrest on the second of the 3 settings. Its comfortable for me but i don't like the gap at the back.

C444F7C5-E689-4A12-B715-1B60885A7520_zps

9AB68E8D-A7AA-4FB1-8AFD-6801DCD42931_zps

Also, this is the place i contacted today about custom embroidery http://www.autoembroidery.com/page.php?id=automotive_designs

They say they can do ANYTHING so i doubt the restriction of a GM license is an issue.

I'm thinking its going to look exactly the way it does on the tailgate. Instead of just SS, i want the SS to say silverado below it in the same font. All in red of course :) Or maybe red outlined silver letters. Not 100% sure yet

Edited by NipRing (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Bump for sneak peek

emavamuq.jpg

Since the tilts couldn't be embroidered (so far anyway) I should have these back later in the week. I'll post up full pics of them in the truck.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...