another lq9 cam options

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't like off the shelf cams. I feel it's a ballpark guess for a wide variety of motors. Having one specd out by a pro for your vehicle with what you want out of it and intend it to do is the way to go. Heck it costs the same!

The one thing I enjoy most on this site are the parrot's. One person uses a cam and then posts that he likes it and 100 others will pick that same cam based on "research". At one time the 212/218 Comp Cam was the popular cam, then it was the 222/224 cam, GT2-3 for the blower guys, 228r later on, etc, etc, etc. The other funny thing with the same subject is how many give technical answers to posts and yet are only repeating information that they read from other posts. I wouldn't recommend a 228r for this truck for example since he doesn't want to change the converter or at least doesn't want alot of stall. I would recommend a cam no bigger than something like the 222/224 from Comp or the Trick Flow 220/224. Both of those really should have a converter upgrade, but at that size you could do a VJCX converter which can be had for a couple hundred dollars and will drive alot like stock yet. Comp also has a cam on the LSR grind that will work which is a 219/227 and will make more torque than both of the others. I would still do the converter swap though to really enjoy the cam swap more. The lift on the 222/224 is in the .56 range and can be ran with LS6 springs. They have a decently long life and should be changed about once every 100k or so, but will keep spring pressure down enough to help valve seat life as well as cam bearings. The Trick Flow cam is in the .58 lift range and should be ran with either 918 style spring or dual spring. The 918 springs have had a rough life with a poor reputation of breaking which is why the dual springs have come to be so popular. The beehive style spring makes more power by design and has less pressure put on the cam bearings making them a more popular choice for something more on the daily driver side of things. The LSR grind is well over .600 lift and really should be ran with a dual spring for longer life of the spring and protection of piston to valve contact in case of spring breakage. The dual springs will beat up the valvetrain a bit more and shorten cam bearing life a bit, but for big lift they are the way to go. As for the topic of headers, use what you have. Shorty headers do not make more torque than long tube headers in no way shape or form. Shorty headers designed properly will gain over manifolds, but will never make more hp or torque than a long tube header. If the heads are replaced on this LQ9 I would recommend going with a 243 casting to get the compression up. The compression raise will help the torque, hp, fuel milage, and smoothness of the idle. You will also need to change the injectors. The stock injectors from your truck will not be big enough.

Thanks zippy for the info sense I first posted this I have decided to go with long tubes and Catless y pipe and plan to do circle d 3k stall. Would that change on a type of casting for heads that you recommended?

Edited by zaathur151 (see edit history)

I personally don't like off the shelf cams. I feel it's a ballpark guess for a wide variety of motors. Having one specd out by a pro for your vehicle with what you want out of it and intend it to do is the way to go. Heck it costs the same!

There are several off the self cams that have been proven over and over again and time and time again.

From what I read from zippy I like the idea of going with LS6 heads for some more compression but i here you need a perfect cam size for that type of compression what would be a good cam for that. Here will be the new specs long tube headers, no cats, stock intake, ported TB and circle d 3k stall. Also can i run on 91 or 92 pump gas with that compression ?

Edited by zaathur151 (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure turbocharged ,supercharged and high compression engines all require high octane fuel stock lq9 requires high octane fuel says it on the fuel door.

91 I would think would be your minimum 93 would be my choice if available I have seen gas stations that only have 87 & 91 octane I try and feed the lq9 with 317 heads 93 as much as possible as my turbo acura gets the same no knock

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

There are several off the self cams that have been proven over and over again and time and time again.

Yes there a generic grinds that work well in MOST applications. Every engine is different and will respond in small doses differently to different variables. I'm no cam expert, BUT when it comes to spending $400 on one, I prefer having mine tailored to me. An off the shelf will work and probably very well.

Yes there a generic grinds that work well in MOST applications. Every engine is different and will respond in small doses differently to different variables. I'm no cam expert, BUT when it comes to spending $400 on one, I prefer having mine tailored to me. An off the shelf will work and probably very well.

Talked to zippy was able to get all my questions answered thanks again, last thing is injectors that I forgot to mention I have searched and searched never came up with what I need to know will 8.1 marine injectors be the best rout for my setup will they plug n play, will the pcm work with them or are there other brands out there that make a set for a truck with stock fuel rails and harness?

Talked to zippy was able to get all my questions answered thanks again, last thing is injectors that I forgot to mention I have searched and searched never came up with what I need to know will 8.1 marine injectors be the best rout for my setup will they plug n play, will the pcm work with them or are there other brands out there that make a set for a truck with stock fuel rails and harness?

I run those same injectors they are a direct swap. Just need tontine for them via PCM.

I have the 8.1's plug n play. Got th from fiveomotorsports brand new. If zippy is tuning your truck you give him all the info and have him make you a tune and save your stock PCM. That is what I did and that way I always have a back up.

The best choices for budget injectors are the 5.3L flex fuel injectors, 8.1L standard and 8.1L marine injectors. The 8.1L standard and 8.1L marine injectors use the same connector, but of the 2 I preferr the 8.1L standard injectors with the only reason being the correct injector data is all available for them. The marine 8.1L injectors work very well, but all of the correct data has not been found for them that I know of. I've been able to develop a decent set of tables for them over the years, but exact factory tables make it nice.