Which would be louder, 1 or 2 single chamber mufflers

hollowman

I have true dual exhaust on my 2005 silverado. The two pipes run into a y-pipe, which then runs into a single in/dual out flowmaster s10 muffler. Is this a louder setup, then if I had the 2 pipes each run into a single in/single out flowmaster s10 muffler?

Dual would be louder. Get rid of the flowcrappers and put in some bullets or magnaflow magnapacks. I'm not a fan of a y pipe, x pipe yes. If I have duals if not gonna go into a single exhaust to me it makes no sense.

Yeah I would also recommend doing an x pipe and 2 single chamber muffler then dump them. Magnaflows are always a good choice. That setup will probably give you the best sound and performance gains. I would not recommend getting rid of your mufflers. Its way too loud and it atrscts the po po's

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Im not totally understanding some of these suggestions. I have true dual pipes that run from the engine. I havent had problems w/ sound complaints ever w/the system I have on now. There are mufflers out there that arent chambered at all?

There are lots that are straight through. My flo pro max is straight through and so are the two glass packs after it haha. All TRUE duel. No Y pipe, just a X.

To balance banks and help to scavenge exhaust.

This is very true.

So, it would be better to run 2 single chamber mufflers rather than one muffler at all? Im actually thinking about eliminating the muffler all together

We know what your saying with true dual we have the same. If you take the muffler off all together it will be so loud you can't drive it. I personally have pacesetter headers no cats to 2 3" cutouts then to an X pipe then a 2.5" dual in dual out magnaflow dumped and I love the sound. Straight through mufflers are really nice I personally like them. I don't like chambered mufflers.

I had two flowmaster 10 series on my truck and they sound like crap. I now have a borla xl dual in dual out 2.5 in. The sound is way way way better!! I will never use another flowmaster on anything I own. They was really holding my truck back to.

This is the problem Im currently having. The hangar for 1 of the tail pipes broke, causing the pipe on the driver side to hang low and the y pipe broke where it connected to the flo s10 single inlet. I brought it to the shop to have them weld wear the pieces broke and I was told it would cost $100 more to just replace the flo s10 w/a flo dual in/dual out and just have the pipes stop short of the rear end. They installed a cherry bomb vortex instead, which I didnt want nor like. It doesnt sound as loud as I had it before. To me, cherry bombs are good if ur drag racing maybe b/c u only hear em when u floor it. U dont hear it at idle. I posted pics of how the setup is now. I just wanna know what would be best way to hook up system before I change it.

post-26061-0-22206000-1391374877_thumb.jpg

post-26061-0-80844000-1391374882_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...