When racing?

4Runner

When you guys race with the stock tune when do you let it shift? When I raced at my local track it ran a 16.01 in drive. After that I found the truck is way fast going threw the gears and shifting at 5800-6000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just leave it in drive or some people put it in 3rd so it won't go into OD. I think it'd be tough to get an auto to shift faster then what the PCM can. I'd just leave it in gear and let the computer do its job.

plus your asking to mess something up. Leave it in drive. A good tune can put you 15.6 or so.

its a automatic you cant "outshift" it .......

Just leave it in drive or some people put it in 3rd so it won't go into OD. I think it'd be tough to get an auto to shift faster then what the PCM can. I'd just leave it in gear and let the computer do its job.

X2

plus your asking to mess something up. Leave it in drive. A good tune can put you 15.6 or so.

correct

When you guys race with the stock tune when do you let it shift? When I raced at my local track it ran a 16.01 in drive. After that I found the truck is way fast going threw the gears and shifting at 5800-6000Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My truck ran 15.1-15.2 stock just put it in 3rd and let her roll. My SSS is running 14.6@93 no tune yet just cai ARH longtubes and a corsa sport catback

I'm actually 4200 at my local track. It just seems so much fast putting it in second and not shifting tell 5800+. I can't say for sure because the track is closed for atleast 3 more months

I have always heard never manual shift as the CPU is designed to shift better and faster, and always race in 3rd so you don't burn up your OD clutches... I used to always run my truck in D with a maggie and servos and fried my clutches and reverse drum and bands... rebuilt with better parts and started racing by putiing in 3rd and no problems so far

I have never been able to leave 3rd, for my truck is limited at 110. Just so you all know I'm not arguing. Just tring to get a better understanding of this truck. Thanks for all the info.

Although manually shifting is not really recommended with that transmission, it will be faster but only if you can hit it at the right rpm. Stock rev limiter is at 6000rpm so you need to make the shift well before that. Stock shift points are indeed too low but manually shifting is also difficult because of the low rev limiter.

I have never been able to leave 3rd, for my truck is limited at 110. Just so you all know I'm not arguing. Just tring to get a better understanding of this truck. Thanks for all the info. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave 3rd??? There is basically only 3 gears needed for racing with the fourth being an OD for fuel economy savings... 3rd gear will get you well over 100mph and our trucks should be able to handle up to 7000 rpms before needing ARP rod bolts