Looking at a few career paths

catdaddy300

I wouldn't do this kind of job just for 100K. See what's happening in Japan right now.... Super dangerous.

Look what it actually took for that type of thing to happen... 2 natural disasters back to back... The likely hood is sooooo small of that happening that I think it's well worth the risk.

So many redundant systems and what not to prevent it from happening. Obviously not saying it can't or wont happen but not very likely.

Have you read the reviews for Wyotech and UTI........ they are TERRIBLE i am not saying the school is bad because i have not been there but they defiantly have the word of the people against them. If anyone knows someone who has gone there and has anything to say about it please enlighten me.

Any engineering field is good. I work in the chemical industry as a production operator, and the engineers in our area do pretty good, somewhere in the 65-100k a year. Most of the petrochem, chem, and power plant operations industry has resorted to hiring people with an associates in process technology. I got lucky and moved up in the plant I work in. The majority of our lead and b operators are all making over 100k a year and actually making more than the engineers. We are one of the lower paid plants in our area. Most operators in this area are starting out at around 30 an hour and climb significantly with each promotion. I am in Louisiana, but if you were to relocate to the Houston area, you could find a job with one of the refineries there. Great money opportunity, but if I had my choice of job in a plant setting I would get an associates in Instrumentation, they make anywhere from 35$ an hour to well over 40$, are in high demand, and typically work lots of overtime.

A job in the oil industry will pay very well. With that said it is all about what makes you happy. If you don't like going to work then whatever the pay is will not be worth it. There are refineries in Hawaii, as a matter of fact the company I work for has one there. I would get a degree in whatever field you feel fits you most then look to begin your career. I was lucky to get the job I have 9 years ago with only a G.E.D. which now they look for experience and a degree.

• 2 weeks later...

You being in the military will automatically put you on the top of the list with those that have experience in the industry. Companies like the one I work for look for military experience as much as they look for people with refinery experience.