Boy did I screw up

With all the air you're getting stock injectors could be holding you back. As for the cam it is small so fuel for the cam side probably isn't bad. I would say just get a 3000 stall. Edge, Yank, and Circle D all make nice torque converters I daily drive mine with a 3600 from Edge got it for 606 and installed ourselves.

Edited by AugustBurnsRed19 (see edit history)

Okay an a Edge 3,000 stall for a 4L60E, do you buy straight from the Mfgr. Or his it available from Summit, Jegs?

I am not capable to change the converter myself, is $600.00 a fair price for a quality shop to install the converter and need to go ahead and service the transmission while it is down. Is everyone running a synthetic fluid ? And maybe raise the shift points to 6500 RPM which will have to be done by the tuner I suppose

Look up Edge torque converters and give them a call let them know your name and number then theyll call you back then let em know you want a 3000 stall for 4L65E and so on he is going to ask for the cam specs so have that with you. Yes the tuner is the one that adjusts your shift point but with that cam idk of you should shift much higher.

Edited by AugustBurnsRed19 (see edit history)

With all the air you're getting stock injectors could be holding you back.

The only proper way to check to see if you are maxin out your injectors is to log the truck and see what the injector duty cycle (idc) is at. For general habits they say to try to keep your injectors under 80% idc.

As for raising your shift points, I would wait to see how the truck responds to the new converter. I may be talking out my ass with out looking at my laptop, but if I remember correctly, my precision industries converter changes my rpm drop with the converter unlocked to about a 1200 rpm drop. That is something else you need to address with your tuner is converter lockup. Converter lockup is something else you need to talk to the converter manufacturer about. P.I. told me that my multi disk converter from them could take anything that I could throw at it pretty much. They even said I could keep the converter locked during shifts and it would handle it. I do not do this until about 80mph though.

I hope you do some more research before you go just buying parts. That's how you ended up where you are now. I don't mean to be a jerk, I'm just saying it sounds like you need a live tune to be done with a good tuner that can read how the air and fuel is working together.

Gotcha, Thanks so much for your help. I am not going to pay for a full tune and I really think that they should have said they were going to make a cam design change when I told them I would be using a LSXrt intake. I called the shop foreman from the track over 550 miles away after the second pass and told them how slow I was running. They wanted to know if it was windy and I told them there was a ten MPH head wind but a few months before without the cam and intake I ran almost five MPH faster with a fifteen MPH wind. The wind is recorded constantly and recorded if it becomes a cross wind over ten competition is suspended.

I don't think you have a bad cam. A little small but makes a ton of tq. Yes a converter will help. A quality piece would compliment your setup. Don't be afraid of larger stalls. Like said above you really need a good tuner to take some logs and see what's going on before you go throwing parts at it.

I don't think you have a bad cam. A little small but makes a ton of tq. Yes a converter will help. A quality piece would compliment your setup. Don't be afraid of larger stalls. Like said above you really need a good tuner to take some logs and see what's going on before you go throwing parts at it.

Good stuff there ^^^

I agree cam isn't bad. TQ maker for sure. No need for a huge cam, they're just hard on stuff.

Don't you need the ton of torque to get a 6,000 truck moving so maybe the combination wasn't so bad. I don't fault the tuner for not having a dyno to accommodate an almost 20 ft. Long AWD truck but what else do I do. There is a tuner way north of Atlanta that is very we'll known maybe even nationally but I know of several builds that they have screwed up big time and I don't think they would cut me any slack and would want to start from scratch on the tuneup. I am kind of between a rock and the proverbial hard place.

You were speaking of lockup, do you think the reason the truck fell to 4,000 on the shift and never made a recovery was that the converter never locked back up?

You were speaking of lockup, do you think the reason the truck fell to 4,000 on the shift and never made a recovery was that the converter never locked back up?

I don't remember what the stock lockup is these trucks. I'm not sure if the stock setup will even go into lockup at 100% throttle? My laptop is at my work. Tomorrow I will pull up a stock tune and see where the stock setup is suppose to go into lockup.

I really doubt you converter even locks up before third gear at wot with a tune in it. Especially on a stock converter.

Call and talk to a few converter company's tomorrow. Chris at circle d has always been helpful with guys on the forums. And I have delt with precision industries multiple times. And they have bent over backward to help me multiple times. I think precisions converters are expensive, but the product and service you get, is second to none!

Don't you need the ton of torque to get a 6,000 truck moving so maybe the combination wasn't so bad. I don't fault the tuner for not having a dyno to accommodate an almost 20 ft. Long AWD truck but what else do I do. There is a tuner way north of Atlanta that is very we'll known maybe even nationally but I know of several builds that they have screwed up big time and I don't think they would cut me any slack and would want to start from scratch on the tuneup. I am kind of between a rock and the proverbial hard place.

For what you use the truck for, a bigger cam is in order And a converter around 3600 stall. With a higher stall converter your "low end tq" is out the window and in comes " max tq" now!! With a converter your shifts will never fall bellow 5000 rpms.

I spent about one hour late yesterday afternoon with Andre' the owner of Edge Performance Torque Converters. I had called about noon and all the technitions were busy and was told that someone would call back shortly. I called back at 6:00 PM EDT and when the receptionist checked and saw my message from earlier she evidently told the owner and he took my call. I told him about the loss of MPH after the cam and intake change. He wanted all of the specs on the cam, rear gearing on the truck and what gear and the ratio when I crossed the line. He also wanted to know if the primary use of the truck would be running standing miles and I explained that I probably would only go back one or two more times to get even for lack of a better term and then to the dragstrip four or five times per year and then boulevard cruising every couple of weeks. After answer more questions, height of tires and the gear ratio in third gear etc. his opinion for what I was doing that first the LSXrt intake was an excellent choice and a little more cam would be helpful but with the right torque converter, His, that I could reach a happy medium. He suggested that I still have the truck tuned to shift at 6,200 RPM and he would design a converter that I would notice no difference in starting off but at WOT it would leap off the line with lots of torque and as you say I would only see the RPM'S drop to no less than 5,000 on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts which would put me across the line at close to 6,000 RPM'S. He wanted to no if I new the RPM I was at when I crossed the line at 135+ or - which was 5,600-5,700.

He said to make a note on the warranty of his name and the number he called back on and if five years from now I had a problem with the converter to call him and the warranty would still be good but also if I made any additional modifications that the converter he would design would not work. He made a believer out of me, what does everybody think and Oh yeah the converter would wind up being 2,800 to 3,000 stall speed?