4K modding budget... suggestions?

Lol, yet another post gone wild. The guy is at altitude, he needs power to pull a boat, he wants it to have extra pep, and specifically says doesnt want worse gas mileage. Why would suggesting a larger cam, a higher stall or anything else other than a supercharger make sense? Centrifugal superchargers are great but dont hit boost at low rpms, turbos are the same, so they arent as viable of an option. Nitrous is useless as a power adder if the power is needed for pulling. RV cams are decent torque cams, but dont expect a huge performance gain from them. Maggies are MADE for and as such are advertised for pulling applications (and fun) and can net good mileage as well. If you can find a complete kit, it should have upgraded injectors already, and the perks of maggies are that they are freakin bolt on superchargers, so he could put it in himself and not have to pay anyone to do it. So he can get really close to 4k in the purchase of a used maggie, which if he looks hard enough he should be able to find one with low miles. It is literally the best solution for the budget and requirements.

Build a 408 stroker, some valve work and slight mill to the heads, cam, springs, and a TBSS intake and 90mm throttle body. Throw a shift kit and servos in the trans and drive the hell out of it. Then the next time the wife won't notice 4k missing get a used TVS 2300 and slap it on. Build the motor for around 9.5:1 cr and be set to run boost in the future.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Lol...or this...i could see telling my wife,"but baby, i only have 9.5 to 1 compression, i hate to say it but I think I am gonna have to get a tvs2300, or I am afraid of what might happen if I dont..." She would have a blank stare and bam, purchase would have been justified and the reason would still be flying over her head.

Hey I somehow got better gas mileage on the highway before when I took a 2 hour drive I needed to put 60 bucks to refill it back up now with cam and 3600 stall intake It took 40 bucks. it gets better gas explain that hmm maybe its the lockup clutch from the new stall!

Hook a boat to it and drive it through the mountains. This is the whole point of the OP's question to the members. You for some reason are stuck on cam n stall which is total Fail. I'm gonna assume your very young and that's the reason your so smart. The best advise has been given over and over several times. Plus starting and stopping your cam and stall are crappy on gas ask me how I know.

Hook a boat to it and drive it through the mountains. This is the whole point of the OP's question to the members. You for some reason are stuck on cam n stall which is total Fail. I'm gonna assume your very young and that's the reason your so smart. The best advise has been given over and over several times. Plus starting and stopping your cam and stall are crappy on gas ask me how I know.

Just give it up Jason. Him and Aldofoc*** are just gonna keep posting stupid shit just to show their existance. We all know what mod is best for the OP and lets leave it at that.

I agree!!!!!

Its funny how you 2bfast take an opinion about mods for a 4k budget and get all butt hurt and now resort to name calling.

If the budget was bigger I would suggest a new short block that makes more power since hes over 100,000 miles 4k doesn't take long to spend.

I just don't think a complete mounted and ready to drive Maggie kit is gonna be in a 4k budget.

Not to forget that his pushrods could use an upgrade along with valve seals, oil pump, and timing chain&gears.

I would say valve springs as well if a cam was getting done.

I also said I wouldn't do a convertor so I would like it if you guys would stop acting like that was me cause that was your other buddy there.

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

Its funny how you 2bfast take an opinion about mods for a 4k budget and get all butt hurt and now resort to name calling.

If the budget was bigger I would suggest a new short block that makes more power since hes over 100,000 miles 4k doesn't take long to spend.

I just don't think a complete mounted and ready to drive Maggie kit is gonna be in a 4k budget.

Not to forget that his pushrods could use an upgrade along with valve seals, oil pump, and timing chain&gears.

I would say valve springs as well if a cam was getting done.

I also said I wouldn't do a convertor so I would like it if you guys would stop acting like that was me cause that was your other buddy there.

These are LS engines and it isnt 1952. His engine isnt wore out. Im also not butt hurt. Im calling out you and your rediculous partner from giving out rediculous information like always. But you dont seem to get it.

And yes you can find a used kit for $4k. I was even apart of one.

Last if he was going to put a new engine in just to tow, he would be money ahead to get rid of the current truck and get one that is more capable of hauling.

Okay if he is going to be towing it through some ups and downs then he will need more low end torque than a stall okay I understand that but if he ever want to drive it on the freeway the stall's new lock up clutch will drop his original 2300rpm @ 70mph to 2100rpm @ 70mph Saving you gas on the road trips! Its the truth thats how it works for me to this day!

When another member called about installing a Magnuson, the statement was made that it would only be warrantied if the motor was stock, they build the blowers and spec them based on stock valvetrain and rotating assembly. No upgrades needed, he can install it himself because it is essentially swapping one intake for another, if he gets a complete kit, it is possible that it will come with the flash pack as well so for 4k he could get a used maggie complete with nothing more than his time needed to install it and put the tune on it. The sugested mods are great power mods, but are not mods that should be considered for his application. Bottom line, he wants power, low end torque for pulling and fuel mileage that stays the same or better, positive displacement supercharger is the right way to go.

Hey I somehow got better gas mileage on the highway before when I took a 2 hour drive I needed to put 60 bucks to refill it back up now with cam and 3600 stall intake It took 40 bucks. it gets better gas explain that hmm maybe its the lockup clutch from the new stall!

So you were only getting roughly 8mpg stock and now your getting roughly 12mpg on the highway? That is figuring traveling 70mph and $3.50 a gal. That lock up converter is the same as the factory lock up. And it isn't a reason why you suddenly gained 4mpg. Obviously something was messed up originally. And if your still only getting MPG like that on the highway then you might want to get the tune looked at.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2