4K modding budget... suggestions?

More air means more fuel so that Maggie is gonna need bigger injectors and under normal driving that is gonna use more fuel. its already towing the boat he just wants a little more power not 2 grand added on 2 the annual fuel cost

I disagree. He can run the stock injectors just fine with low boost

The OP clearly said he wants to pull a boat and through the mountains and you want to suggest a camshaft change along with a bigger torque converter stall speed?! Nitrous?!

And WTF are you worried about high intake temps for? The magnacharger would be perfect for pulling a boat and its really what they were designed for...was for extra low end torque to pull payloads with.

This is what I'm saying. Maybe I should just reading on here instead of giving advise. You Def don't want a 3600 stall to pull a boat and drive through the mountains! A Maggie with a shift kit a vett servo and retune best bet by far. But your gonna have to turn some wrenches yourself.

Edited by shadowsniper3006
removed lines in quote and in post (see edit history)

Magnachargers requires at least the 8.1L marine injectors if you are planning anything more than 5psi.

Now, onto the fuel consumption statement that isn't even close to correct.

First off, Yes, I have experience with the Radix has I'm a dealer of Magnacharger products and owned the 112HH.

Bigger injectors will not use more fuel while in lean cruise if you have a tuner worth a damn.

Some tuners spend the time to actually get the VE tables in your tune spot on. once this is done and having the MAF calibration dialed in you will actually see an increase in MPG while driving around out of boost when you have these monster "fuel eating" injectors.

Real world results.

Trip from DFW to Tulsa OK..... stock except for a tune yielded 20 mpg

Same trip 2 months later with the 112HH........... 23 mpg... why??? because the time was spent to get the drivability spot on!

Now onto your suggestion of a cam and Nitrous Oxide.

All the aftermarket camshafts out there these days are for making higher peak power and a lot of it. There are not many camshafts out there designed specifically for very low end torque if any at all. and if they do make more low end torque it is not enough to justify the cost.

Nitrous on a DD for towing?

Nitrous is meant to be run in short doses and at WOT. It is not meant to be ran around at torque peak for more than just passing through that portion of the RPM band.

Now lets get to the stability and tuning of nitrous a different pressure levels.

Nitrous at 900psi and at 1300psi do not discharged at the same rate. which means tuning in your nitrous would be different at different pressure intervals. If the pressure is to low it can become dangerous to your engine, and if the pressure is to high it can be dangerous for you and your engine. Is the OP going to install the proper hardware to keep the bottle at a preset temp while driving around? Oh and what does he do if the bottle pressure gets to high in the summer sun driving around?

Have you ever seen a bottle blow the disc and fill a car up? Just what someone needs to worry about while towing their boat to the lake in the summer.

Alan, I have excepted the fact you will be around here and we will cross paths. The thing that gets me is you give suggestions to people with little to no first hand knowledge of what you are talking about. I have a hard time with that. It isn't your wallet and isn't your truck, but you seem to fly off on ideas that 99% of people here wouldn't dream of doing. The shear cost of a mistake could cost some of these guys the ability to use their trucks for good.

This will be my only post in this thread. If you want to discuss what I have posted here feel free to PM me.

Edit* please forgive the punctuation....using my phone to reply is not the best idea.

language (see edit history)

I suggested the nitrous for the option of turning it on and off when needed not for towing the boat across the united states like at a stop light next to a customer (without the boat). And who doesn't want a cam in there truck I think there is a cam out there that would fit his build it might not be far from stock but still make more torque then stock there is also things that get done along with the cam like valve springs & seals , push rods, timing chain&gears ,upgraded oil pump and tune. Like I said he's already towing the boat he didn't say he wanted to spin all 4 tires while doing it.

For what he has already done to his truck and his posted budget I believe it is his best option. With a 4k budget, going with a new unit is clearly out of reach but there are and have been some nice used units coming around from some reputable members here recently. Like posted multiple times in this thread and countless times on this forum they are great for low end torqe which is what you want for towing especially going through mountains.

That's (A) option not the only option if I was gonna run a supercharger I would run a procharger with an intercooler but that's my opinion

A Procharger is NOT the blower you want for towing applications and does not make low end torque like a positive displacment blower or roots blower does.

removed lines (see edit history)

If you are gonna tow get the Maggie. Listen to Brian (2bfast) he is really knowledgeable. I occasionally tow and the truck pulls great with the blower. It's also fun as a daily driver. Now I don't know how you drive but the truck says I get an average 9.9 mpg. That is city driving and I'm one who likes to here the blower even if it's stop light to stop light :). But on the freeway driving how I'm supposed to 20mpg is not unreasonable just not any fun. Lol

The Maggie also has like no maintenance, just change the oil every 100k miles I believe.

Edited by xxssmaniacxx (see edit history)

4k seems to be enough to find a used Maggie kit . I'm a big procharger guy but if I were building a tow rig or a off road machine I would put a magnacharger on there because pro chargers have to be WOT and be above 4000 rpms b4 they start making decent boost. I wouldn't even concider nitrous or a bigger stall even an option considering what the OP describe how he uses his truck. So IMO I would either do a magna charger which you could find used in your price limit and is great for towing with all the low end power or do a turbo kit but its going to be allot more hands on but with the right turbo it would work great for pulling and won't effect your gas milage like any other FI application. You could do a pro charger but I just don't see it being ideal but it would work.

or do a turbo kit but its going to be allot more hands on but with the right turbo it would work great for pulling and won't effect your gas milage like any other FI application. You could do a pro charger but I just don't see it being ideal but it would work.

I wouldnt even go down that road..........

Roots blower is what you want

Yes roots blower is the first thing that popped in my head when reading the op's first post and would probably be the best option with the least amount of down time. Only reason I suggested turbo is because I don't know how mechanically the op is but turbo when set up right would be a awesome for towing but that would probably be the hardest/longest down time to do and not sure if you could fit it in a 4k budget ...maybe .

What's wrong with a 3600 stall its still right on the edge of daily driving. Hes said he wants more torque okay a torquerv cam thats what you need when you tow something

removed words (see edit history)

Only reason I suggested turbo is because I don't know how mechanically the op is but turbo when set up right would be a awesome for towing but that would probably be the hardest/longest down time to do and not sure if you could fit it in a 4k budget ...maybe .

trick performance stage 3 single turbo kit brand new in the box under 4k that's an option

Build a 408 stroker, some valve work and slight mill to the heads, cam, springs, and a TBSS intake and 90mm throttle body. Throw a shift kit and servos in the trans and drive the hell out of it. Then the next time the wife won't notice 4k missing get a used TVS 2300 and slap it on. Build the motor for around 9.5:1 cr and be set to run boost in the future.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2