4K modding budget... suggestions?

Fellas,

Sorry I've been away from the forum for so long, but life in the mil has been crazy the last few years. My 06 SS now has 107K miles on it from driving all over the country and a large part of it pulling my boat. I'm really wanting to add some power to the truck and think I can get away with spending about $4K without pissing the wife off too much. I'm looking to add some power to make it a little more exciting to drive and make pulling the boat through the mountains a little easier and I really don't want to take a large fuel efficiency hit under normal driving conditions. (I try to drive pretty conservatively back and forth to work daily) Ready.... go!

Oh I got it tuned in Louisiana from thunder racing with a corsa sport exhaust, Volant CAI and 160 t-stat, truck runs great

There's a new Maggie on ebay (mp122 variety) for $825.00 o.b.o is that a good deal? I feel like it is since Maggie wants 5 1/4 for the complete kit, but I don't know if they would give me a good deal on the rest of the kit without buying the main part... the blower

I'd go with a Maggie. It would help with pulling anything. Maybe throw a shift kit and vett servo in the tranny and also add a bigger trans cooler. You could accomplish your goal with 4k. May have to install the Maggie yourself to save a few bucks

Get a cam maybe a torquer v cam? Should be around 890 for the cam kit and installed just depending on where you get it done maybe a 1000 for cam kit installed. Also maybe a nice intake and stall converter say maybe a LSXRT a 3600 stall and a shift kit and corvette servo. You should make about 450hp to 500ish like that some may say instead of the intake go with heads but heads can be pricey at least a 1000 to maybe 3000.

Edited by AugustBurnsRed19 (see edit history)

I wouldn't do a cam without doing the valve springs valve seals and pushrods and timing gear&chain along with a new upgraded oil pump and that around here is about 2400 parts and labor and that's a deal. And the same installer wouldn't do the cam until I did the stall convertor said I wouldn't like driving it like that and a stall convertor could run 550 to a 1000 not installed. You wanna be happy with your choice be careful and ask more questions before your purchase

A cam ,

Cam and install $2500.00. Wet no2 kit 75hp shot and install$ 800.00 to a grand and retune couple hundred nice 150 hp without worrying about high air intake temps of the Maggie

Get a cam maybe a torquer v cam? Should be around 890 for the cam kit and installed just depending on where you get it done maybe a 1000 for cam kit installed. Also maybe a nice intake and stall converter say maybe a LSXRT a 3600 stall and a shift kit and corvette servo. You should make about 450hp to 500ish like that some may say instead of the intake go with heads but heads can be pricey at least a 1000 to maybe 3000.

I wouldn't do a cam without doing the valve springs valve seals and pushrods and timing gear&chain along with a new upgraded oil pump and that around here is about 2400 parts and labor and that's a deal. And the same installer wouldn't do the cam until I did the stall convertor said I wouldn't like driving it like that and a stall convertor could run 550 to a 1000 not installed. You wanna be happy with your choice be careful and ask more questions before your purchase

This is why I get so negative on this forum sometimes

The OP clearly said he wants to pull a boat and through the mountains and you want to suggest a camshaft change along with a bigger torque converter stall speed?! Nitrous?!

what are you worried about high intake temps for? The magnacharger would be perfect for pulling a boat and its really what they were designed for...was for extra low end torque to pull payloads with.

Edited by shadowsniper3006
removed lines (see edit history)

I wouldn't do a convertor if I was gonna pull a boat but a cam that makes more torque and a wet no2 kit and a tune would help going up the big hills and without the boat that set up would haul a$$. Also the op said he had 4k to spend good luck finding a Maggie and getting it mounted and tuned ready to drive. it could happen if your doing the work yourself and find a quality used unit for short doe the sun does shine on a dogs ass sooner or later. the op also didn't say if he was doing the work or paying someone that's a factor that also needs to be considered labor ain't cheap as we ALL know. Its also still a 1500 pickup the boat can't be crazy in size or this would be the wrong truck for the job

Fellas,

I'm looking to add some power to make it a little more exciting to drive and make pulling the boat through the mountains a little easier and I really don't want to take a large fuel efficiency hit under normal driving conditions.

More air means more fuel so that Maggie is gonna need bigger injectors and under normal driving that is gonna use more fuel. its already towing the boat he just wants a little more power not 2 grand added on 2 the annual fuel cost

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)