15k modding budget...Any suggestions?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FLT stage 5 80e 3800 plus core charge which he only charges after you've received your new transmission without returning your old one but you don't have an 80e so I'm not sure how that would work but you can always ask I'm sure they can still use yours for something

I bought all of my swap parts as well as my converter from PATC. I've done quite a bit of business with them and have always had good luck. As for the Trans itself, mine is just a stock 80e with an upgraded clutches kit installed and a shift kit. Which is more than stout enough for the mods you're wanting to do. I wouldn't blow 4-6 grand on the transmission to swap to an 80e. Shoot me a PM if you want and I can help you out with all the 80e stuff, may even be able to get you a decent deal on stuff from PATC.

EDIT: I also have the part number for the correct length front driveshaft if you want to try and source one used or online rather than have a new one made for the front. I got lucky and found a new pull out on eBay for around 100 bucks or so. PN: 15182094

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

welcome from Kansas city, mo. good luck on your build

Thanks, I'm stoked about my build!

Ok...so today I just got off the phone with a very reputable trans builder here in my home town and he's telling me with the new parts that are recently available for the stock 4L65e they can build it to handle as much power I want to throw at it - the TVS 2300, heads, cam, etc. ALSO, I just got off the phone with FLT and they recommended their level 7 65e instead of the 80 swap as well. Can I have some opinions on this please?

Thanks, I'm stoked about my build! Ok...so today I just got off the phone with a very reputable trans builder here in my home town and he's telling me with the new parts that are recently available for the stock 4L65e they can build it to handle as much power I want to throw at it - the TVS 2300, heads, cam, etc. ALSO, I just got off the phone with FLT and they recommended their level 7 65e instead of the 80 swap as well. Can I have some opinions on this please?

The only "new" parts that they are talking about is the sonnax drum. Yes they work and help a lot, but bottom line the clutches in a 60/65 will only handle so much. At the cost of that lvl 7 you can do the 80E.

Thanks Dan. The dude from FLT said he would extend the 10% off sale that just ended a coupla days ago bc I called and left a message during the sale. That would make the lvl 7 $3600 + shipping. Jake's was 4100 for the lvl 3 80 + shipping - BUT I would still need to do the shafts, wiring, cross member, dip stick, etc. which would be another 1 - 1.5k. My question is: is the 80 worth the extra 2k do you think? oh, + I would need to do a re-tune with the 80 for another 4 or 500. The 65 I could do myself at my brother's shop bc it's plug n play...I"M CONFUSED NOW!!! :confused:

I talked to Brian just a few ago and he says go with the 80 too. I found a dude on Craigslist - Certifix transmission in kc mo that is selling rebuilt 80's for $1250.00! I was thinking to maybe scoop one of those up and take it to my tranny guy to put a shift kit in it and just go with that??

FLT level 7 or 80E, either way you will be happy. It should be noted that the 80 will be slower than the 65 with the same power, just food for thought.

Here's an interesting tidbit of info on the power loss...just a FYI

http://jakesperformance.com/4L80E_FAQ.html

Good call on the 80e....my buddy has a rcsb with a 6.0/80e combo. That thing drives and rides great even with a MS3 cam and 3800 triple disc stall. And it has no problem putting the power down...it will light them up from 35 all the way untill it grabs at about 75 or 80. I couldnt believe how tame the truck was when just driving it normally. For something as loud and powerful as it is you wouldnt think it would be very street friendly. I think you will be happy with it bud. Make sure you get it buttoned up well and start pouring the power to it.

Good call on the 80e....my buddy has a rcsb with a 6.0/80e combo. That thing drives and rides great even with a MS3 cam and 3800 triple disc stall. And it has no problem putting the power down...it will light them up from 35 all the way untill it grabs at about 75 or 80. I couldnt believe how tame the truck was when just driving it normally. For something as loud and powerful as it is you wouldnt think it would be very street friendly. I think you will be happy with it bud. Make sure you get it buttoned up well and start pouring the power to it.

Thanks! ...it's goin down! I can't wait to roast all fours off the line! :smoker: