15k modding budget...Any suggestions?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys. If I were to do the 1900, maybe 2600 - the 2300, maybe 2800 then?

I have to be honest here after getting some numbers together... Preliminary pricing from Jake's - 3k for stage 3 4L80, 850 for billet stall, he's telling me 250 for transf. case parts & work, $150 to have the main shaft cut down, I'm guessing 2 or 300 for a new, longer front shaft (does anyone know if another Chevy 4wd shaft will work here?) - then I have shipping which will probably be around 200 or more if I have him do the transf. case mods. THEN there's the install since my garage won't allow me to get the truck high enough to remove the tranny and replace it....maybe another $500? ...that's already $5150 just for the tranny swap! THEN add on another $6500 for the 2300 Maggie and I'm already @ $11650. THEN a lot of you are telling me to upgrade my fuel system - does anyone have suggestions on manufacturers and exactly what I'd need for that?

I think what I'm getting at is, 15k isn't going as far as I originally expected and don't think I'll have enough for the cam and head work. + I'm thinking that brakes are a little more important after adding the Maggie anyway.

I personally don't think you need to drop all that money in the built 80. Im sure with a little research you can pic a used one up cheap go through it and upgrade a few parts and let er rip. There a lot stronger than the 65 or 60 stock to stock. Brian 2BFAST is more knowledgeable in this area he can help you. He's a good guy and knows what hes talking about regardless of what others think. A few guys have done the swap and probably have half that in them. And like stated you def want your fuel system right and want a spot on tune. You will be more than happy :peelout:

A lot of guys have run a lot of hp on basically stock 80s that they got out of junk yard. Memory serves Ray ran like 750+ to the wheels of his supersub through a mildly rebuilt 80. Give Ray a call, he might be able to set you up or at least give you a direction to go based on his experience. I believe he also sells/installs the blowers, and he can work with you on your fuel system and not spend money that isn't needed. He may just be a one stop shop for you if your willing to drive and spend some time in a hotel. I know KS to MN is a little drive but Ray is one of two or three guys I would trust with my truck.

You can search his screen name on here for some more history: supersub

IMO your brakes are fine, worst case do the hydro boost upgrade. other then that your spending a lot of money on shinny parts you don't need, but that's just me

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Ok, so now I've been doing a little more research on Tranny shops and pricing bc of these posts. 2bfast recommended Jake's and I just assumed that would be the proper choice, and he may be a great tranny builder, but seems to be overpriced.

Does anyone know anything about PATC - Performance Automotive Transmission Center? ...Just a company I found that seems to have a MUCH more impressive website than Jake's, FLT or anyone else I've came across. Seems to have much better pricing too. www.transmissioncenter.net If anyone has any info or experiences with them, please let me know. Thanks

I've had my level 5 FLT for 8000 miles with a SS 3200 yank convertor and I'm really happy with it not one problem.

When I was searching I couldn't find one person not happy with there FLT transmission

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)