15k modding budget...Any suggestions?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As said above, wether you go with L92s, or get a little work done to your 317s, the maggie you order will need to match. The supercharger takes the place of your intake manifold, it is essentially a mechanized intake manifold, so it will need to match your heads intake port. And brakes are a great upgrade if you can afford to get them as well. Just make sure you order the right one, they will carry both rectangular port maggies and cathedral port maggies.

Hell, it would be cheaper to just slap a maggie, cam and 4L80 in it...the heads seem like a LOT of work anyway.

Yes in a sense, just remember, cams come with some requirements. Valvetrains need to be upgraded, or at least the springs and rods and it wouldnt hurt to do a trunion upgrade. This is all stuff you can do with the motor in the truck. You could get some really good gains from cam/blower combo, so dont think you are cheaping out, it is a perfectly good upgrade, and the 80 is a great tranny, its important to note that some mods will need to be done for your awd setup...i am not awd so ask people here what needs to be done to make it work. Prochargers are great superchargers too, I would suggest researching the pros and cons of each and make a choice based on what you are looking to get out of it.

When you present a discussion of this subject you will never get a "perfect" answer.

I suggested doing some minor machine work to your factory heads for the fact that what you pay for a set of CNC PnP heads you really wont gain a whole lot for what you spend. And maybe milling the factory 317s isnt the anwser on a boosted application especially with LQ9 pistons. I lack expertise in this area jus like cam specs so maybe one of the bros can chime in on that.

All im saying is instead of spending 1500-2000 in CNC heads you can drop maybe 500 on the factory heads and get more bang for the buck.

Edited by shadowsniper3006
removed lines (see edit history)

Actually the majority of that gain is in the camshaft, but hey looks like you got it all figured out. If you are happy with gaining 15-20hp for two grand in heads then go for it

Actually, the L92 lung change will yield more like 15lbs of torque and 25hp over stock and can purchased from Summit Racing for $920.00 for the pair. SO, if you do the math @ a dollar per hp comparison to the maggie (which yields about 120hp for $5,700.00 or $47.50 per 1 hp), the L92 upgrade would actually be more cost effective @ only $36.80 per 1 hp gained. :jerk:

Actually the majority of that gain is in the camshaft, but hey looks like you got it all figured out. If you are happy with gaining 15-20hp for two grand in heads then go for it

Thank you

If you want to spend 1500 more for 20hp then go for it. I know with a budget and for what else you will need to comlete this budeget I would want to put the extra in the fuel system. You can have all the nice pretty blowers and heads you want but fuel makes it go.

Something to.think about

Oh, and I agree on being broke. You can take a look at the bucket of bolts I put together in my sig. It didnt run very well at all......

removed lines (see edit history)

Actually, the L92 lung change will yield more like 15lbs of torque and 25hp over stock and can purchased from Summit Racing for $920.00 for the pair. SO, if you do the math @ a dollar per hp comparison to the maggie (which yields about 120hp for $5,700.00 or $47.50 per 1 hp), the L92 upgrade would actually be more cost effective @ only $36.80 per 1 hp gained. :jerk:

For 920.00 it does not include gaskets, bolts, rect. port intake, 87mm or 90mm throttle body, X-link to run the larger throttle body....etc. Now that you have the heads off it would be a great idea to change the lifters over to support the higher RPMs you will be turning and the valve springs for the camshaft you will be doing. Don't forget the new lifter guide trays.

So using your equation.

gaskets: 100.00

Bolts: 70.00 for GM stuff

Intake:250 used

Throttle Body: 150 for the 90mm GM DBW

X-link: 200

Coolant and Oil: 100.00

BTR SLR Lifters: 200

Lifter Trays: 30.00

Without lifters you are at 1700.00ish = 68.00 per pony

With lifters 1900ish = 76 per pony

And on the flip side the TVS 2300 or D1 Pro charger will make more power than that 120 by simply swapping pulleys.

Since you are in the construction business, you know that building a structure starts at the foundation. Consider the blowers as your foundation.

Oh I almost forgot.... :jerk:

:jester:

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

As advertised, I AM a total novice/newbie BUT I do have above average common sense. My common sense tells me to do the build on my truck right and in my opinion, the head swap is the right thing to do over machining the stock ones - especially since there are already clearance issues with the LQ9''s flat pistons. All I'M saying is if I do the cam swap, I understand I should replace the springs at a minimum, so why not just replace the heads for an additional 25 hp while I have the engine apart and beef everything up to handle the extra hp.

removed lines ref. other removed lines (see edit history)

Im Not getting in the middle of this but if I was gonna buy a set of heads for a engine in a truck I was dumping 15k into that I wouldn't be able to sell after the mods and get my money back out of I would be buying a nice set of AFR mongoose heads shit its just money. In the year I've been active on hear nobody's had a budget like this instead of milling port & polish or mess with hoping another set of gm heads will mesh with your engine and blower combo get some heads that guarantee more then 25hp. isn't the goal to get it in and get it out let's be real hear AIR FLOW RESEARCH.

Im Not getting in the middle of this but if I was gonna buy a set of heads for a engine in a truck I was dumping 15k into that I wouldn't be able to sell after the mods and get my money back out of I would be buying a nice set of AFR mongoose heads shit its just money. In the year I've been active on hear nobody's had a budget like this instead of milling port & polish or mess with hoping another set of gm heads will mesh with your engine and blower combo get some heads that guarantee more then 25hp. isn't the goal to get it in and get it out let's be real hear AIR FLOW RESEARCH.

Meh... if you are going to go that route why not ALL PRO? or Trick Flow? or maybe even DART heads? Pick your poison all of them work for a max effort type deal, but lets get real here. You might as well just build a entire engine then. I hate to see 2500 heads get eaten by a rod or piston letting go from a factory short block.... really nice heads on a factory short block is like putting lipstick on a pig IMO