15k modding budget...Any suggestions?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so now I'm really thinking about this. I would have to know what cam to use with my blower and L92 heads...do I upgrade the 41lb injectors that come with the blower bc of the L92 heads and cam? I would need a lot of help lol!

Cam Specs can be sourced for your build from a lot of resources. Think a lot of people have suggested Brian Tooley, google him through brian tooley racing, pretty sure you can call him and get all the parts you need as well, including pushrods, springs, lifters (not LS7, stronger ones), trunion upgrade (?, maybe), cam, gaskets, hardware, and any other random things.. I have looked at his online catalogue and his prices were really good. He has come highly reccomended to me. I could only guess as far as the injectors go, but pretty sure 41 lb injectors, if speced for the blower, would be fine with L92s. Probably the same injectors that come with a maggie when u order it for 6.2 motors if i had to guess. Talk with Brian and he should be able to tell you exactly what parts you need to support your build plan. Before you start, get a notepad, start listing the parts you need, dont skip anything, include oil, coolant, gaskets, and hardware, list your major parts you plan on buying, and then go over it with him and let him fill in the blanks and put a brand or part number to everything you need. Then the fun part, spend a lot of money, then get instructionals ready for each step to your build. Contact a tuner, because you will HAVE to have it tuned after all these mods. Dont be intimidated, it cant bite you, just take your time and make sure it goes together the way it came off. Oh yea, dont forget, you can sell things you pull off if you want to reinvest their value back into the truck as well.

Oh and one of the members here gave me some really good advise about heads, and I would feel like an ass for not passing it on. If you are purchasing used heads, you can help them out with a good valve job, and one of the good things is you can kill two birds with one stone by having the machinist install your springs too. The valve job will help horsepower and flow and is a lot cheaper than a full head reworking with port and polishing. As I was told, a good valve job and maybe a little bowl work is good enough to get more hp without having to shell out 1000$ more for p&p work, that inevitably will not net a whole hell of a lot more horsepower. Should only cost somewhere from 300 to 500, and like I said, you can get your springs installed at the same time.

I wouldnt even mess with L92's. I would slightly mill the 317's, valve job, new springs, valve stem seals, and roll with that.

Why do you say that? If I'm going to go through all the trouble of tearing down the engine, why not just replace them to get these results:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0711_6l_hop_up_pt_2/viewall.html

...with the L92's, cam and current mods, I'd be looking at around 510 hp. Then add the maggie onto that and i'm getting close to 700

From what I understand the stock 317's flow great. I think what Brian is saying is they flow plenty good enough for the setup your looking at. Of I had plenty of money I'd go with some trickflows. That would be if I were building an engine from scratch.

I wouldnt even mess with L92's. I would slightly mill the 317's, valve job, new springs, valve stem seals, and roll with that.

^^^^see, here is one of the guys on here that has been there and done that so to speak that I was telling you about. Good part about this advice is you save money by sticking with upgrading what you have, and that money could go towards something else. Maybe some suspension upgrades or differential upgrades

...or would I run into problems with the maggie if I change to the L92's? I know the Magnuson website says it will void the warranty unless it's a stock motor.

Lol, when you see a stock motor with a maggie on it, there is probably some form of trailer behind it. I would say over 75% of aftermarket superchargers on motors have supporting mods to either handle the power better, or improve the power delivery.

Lol, when you see a stock motor with a maggie on it, there is probably some form of trailer behind it. I would say over 75% of aftermarket superchargers on motors have supporting mods to either handle the power better, or improve the power delivery.

I realize that, but I was mainly talking about the head swap. If I swapped to L92's with the rectangular ports, I would have to use the entire tvs 2300 so they would mate up...wouldn't I?. The 2300 has the pulley system on the left side and ours is in the front with the intake on the left. I don't think it would work unless I'm missing something. From what I understood from previous posts, just the larger impellers and housing would be used off the 2300.

As far as the warranty is concerned, who really cares at this point, right? They way it is worded, they won't stand behind it unless EVERYTHING is bone stock...including the tranny.

The other solution would be the L92's, fast intake and ProCharger. I bet that setup would make more power anyway.