6l80e trans

I've been throwing this idea around as well. John and myself have been talking about it for awhile. The trans will bolt up to your block no problem, but will need an adapter for the NVG149. As far as I know, it hasn't been done yet. You could always use a newer AWD Tcase from a escalade, but they aren't as good as the viscous design in ours. But getting it to bolt up is the easy part. Controlling it is the nightmare. TCI is developing a 6L stand alone controller to aid in this. Until it's released, I'm not gonna say its not possible, everything is possible with enough time and money, but it'll be a big project to take on, and will be far from bolt up, plug in and go.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Best way would be to convert the truck to run on a e38 or e67 pcm with a t43 trans controller... It will also require someone with good wiring skills and capable of interpreting wiring schematics. I have seen a 4l60>>6l80 swap in a colorado, it was real easy. Buy the colorado was already an e67 truck with a t42 TCM

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

There was actually a dude making an adapter for the 149 t case. I talked to him about 2 ish years ago. He was almost finished with the design. He told me to expect ~ $1, 500. Lol. He was making a conversion for guys with 6l80 from the factory, but wanted to run the 149 t case. He had also made some to mate the 149 to a t-56, other than that, I can't remember who it was.

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC the 4l80 and the 6l80 have the same size output shaft, so theoretically you could use the same input gear to mate the nvg149 to a 6 speed trans Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

that is true however I don't know the indexing depth of the 6L80 compared to the 4L80 to say for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

well, as for the adapter... still nothing concrete. BUT after i get my truck finished up and running here soon, the next thing is the 6L85e. i am RWD, but if i give the details of whats required to control the trans and install, etc- then im sure bolting up the t-case using an adapter, should be fairly self spoken :D

that is true however I don't know the indexing depth of the 6L80 compared to the 4L80 to say for sure.

im almost positive they are too different. we had tried that when they first came out many ayears ago lol