silver paint for grille inserts?

bassmaster

i'd like to paint my grille/bumper inserts silver. i really like the contrast it brings to the front end. i checked walmart, lowes, home depot, local hardware store, and even Michael's crafts for some silver spray paint..but all i find is either white, gray which is too dark, or some crazy texture/sparkle/metallic silver crap.

for those who have done it, what paint did you use?? heres pics for reference

image_url-6969-1364575151.jpg

06_intim_flfrt.jpg

a regular gray just isnt enough 'pop'...

2498796_16_full.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent done much spray painting on plastic, but i have used it to restore an armoire and a dresser for my boys. I used Valspar paint with amazing results, u would never know it was rattle can work. Valspar has a silver paint. http://www.lowes.com/pd_57768-4-465.0066010.076_0__?Ntt=57768&UserSearch=57768&productId=3729677&rpp=32

Try it on something plastic and see if it is what you are looking for.

I havent done much spray painting on plastic, but i have used it to restore an armoire and a dresser for my boys. I used Valspar paint with amazing results, u would never know it was rattle can work. Valspar has a silver paint. http://www.lowes.com/pd_57768-4-465.0066010.076_0__?Ntt=57768&UserSearch=57768&productId=3729677&rpp=32

Try it on something plastic and see if it is what you are looking for.

not sure if metallic would be right for it. i dont really want the inserts shining, just plain silver. or maybe the insert lines are so small that it wouldnt even matter? i dunno, im new to it all lol

I've thought about doing this myself. I too like the contrast it gives.

right on :thumbsup:

edit. another pic for the shits of it

8e5ega3y.jpg

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

Make sure to use some adhesion promoter on the plastic so the paint will adhere otherwise it will probably chip off pretty quickly....

Word, good call

+1 for adhesion promoter. And id use a paint designed for plastic like krylon fusion. Keep us updated on how it turns out.

I'll give their selection a glance. And will do!

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

Haha very nice! Is the iss silver the same as the brake ducts?

Actually it is pretty similar. I personally love it. All black looks great too, but like you said, that silver just pops and sets it apart. I got the grilles off a parted out ISS along with the spoiler. I'm kicking myself now for not getting the mats, cluster and head rests. They're worth a lot LOL.

post-8854-0-52871600-1383950602_thumb.jpg

I am digging the black outline bowtie in that first pic. Where can I get one of those?

You need to paint one yourself

Actually it is pretty similar. I personally love it. All black looks great too, but like you said, that silver just pops and sets it apart. I got the grilles off a parted out ISS along with the spoiler. I'm kicking myself now for not getting the mats, cluster and head rests. They're worth a lot LOL.

Haha I hear ya! Good score anyway. And if the insert is the brake duct color.. I remember a thread over the summer where someone asked the brake duct color, and there were a few links/color codes to it. I can try and dig that up

You know, i bet you could get a really decent price on having it painted. I definitely think it can be done with rattle cans, i love using them, but you would probably end up way happier and with something that will last a lot longer and be more chip resistant if you just got a local body shop to spray it. You could probably see if they have some silver that would suit you sitting around. I doubt it would be very expensive. Just thinking about all of the edges and corners that have to be painted is nerve racking lol.

You know, i bet you could get a really decent price on having it painted. I definitely think it can be done with rattle cans, i love using them, but you would probably end up way happier and with something that will last a lot longer and be more chip resistant if you just got a local body shop to spray it. You could probably see if they have some silver that would suit you sitting around. I doubt it would be very expensive. Just thinking about all of the edges and corners that have to be painted is nerve racking lol.

My buddy works at a body shop and I was gonna have him do my bowtie like that first pic, cause I'm too anal and would get frustrated trying to make the edges perfectly even and same width lol. I could ask for a quote on the inserts :hmm:

Been thinking about this on mine. Anyone have a pic of a red 06+ ss with silver inserts?

Don't think I've ever seen red with silver inserts.. Closest you'd find to that would be the billet inserts, that kinda has the same color effect against the red for an idea imo