part 4 testing is over - part 5 suggestions?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Style and Speed,

I like the TB idea. As a consumer I would like to see an answer to "is there a gain with an aftermarket product" and which "product produces the highest gain".

The problem is running the test. To be fair to each manufacturer for an accurate head-to-head comparison, the testing has to be highly repeatable and performed under the exact same test conditions (same weather, ECT, IAT, drivetrain temperature, etc.).

To make up numbers for example, an aftermarker TB might provide a 5-7 HP gain. A 5 HP gain on a stock SS is about a 1.5% improvement and the range of HP gain is about a 0.5% change. I couldn't honestly do a head-to-head TB comparison test and tell you the absolute winner because I would have to make a decision based on a 0.5% change for which my equipment could not accurately resolve and the testing condition repeatabiliy is also suspect (a 5 degree change in ECT impacts timing advance, engine clearances, oil windage losses, oil pumping losses, etc.). However, I could show that the aftermarket TB's produced some gain and that answers my first question from above. However, I couldn't honestly say (or let the reader believe) what product was best.

The other aspect is that your "engine" has to be considered a system not just a set of parts. The "worst" product on our truck may work best on your truck because we have headers and you have the stock manifolds, for example. This is why I typically won't do a head-to-head comparison with such a small expected improvement. I don't feel this is fair to the reader or the manufacturer.

couple things i was going to point out. for dyno purposes, i believe it would be easier to dyno the truck by putting the shifter in the 2 position. you should be able to go w.o.t. off idle and only have second all the way from idle to rev limiter. as for the early downshifting, i don't know if it's from the shift kit or the extra air the maf sensor is seeing and interpreting as extra load therefore forcing the downshift.

Archived