part 4 testing is over - part 5 suggestions?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know N20 is a killer power maker.... but having to fill the damn bottles all the time is a major drag. And what if you call on the power in a heated moment, and find out it's empty, double bummer.

That's why I would agree with the Baer Aluma Sport brake upgrade, or a supercharger bolt on. It's always gonna be there, ready to do whatever it was designed to.

The brake upgrade, and suspension upgrades are going to help a great deal, just not on the drag strip.

Everyday driveability gains will probably be more popular for the majority of SS owners, after all they bought a truck, and trucks aren't commonly known for their 1/4 mile times, or corner carving abilities anyway.

What about showing the masses exactly what you can do for say 5000.00 over the price of the truck? You know, the biggest bang for the bucks, or the most areas of improvement? :chevy:

i'd disagree. i think most of us bought our SSs for power, otherwise i could have just got another standard silverado.

I know N20 is a killer power maker.... but having to fill the damn bottles all the time is a major drag. And what if you call on the power in a heated moment, and find out it's empty, double bummer.

That's why I would agree with the Baer Aluma Sport brake upgrade, or a supercharger bolt on. It's always gonna be there, ready to do whatever it was designed to.

The brake upgrade, and suspension upgrades are going to help a great deal, just not on the drag strip.

Everyday driveability gains will probably be more popular for the majority of SS owners, after all they bought a truck, and trucks aren't commonly known for their 1/4 mile times, or corner carving abilities anyway.

What about showing the masses exactly what you can do for say 5000.00 over the price of the truck? You know, the biggest bang for the bucks, or the most areas of improvement? :chevy:

Have you followed this truck? Do you know what it already has?

i would think a sway bar upgrade with QA1's for suspension. as for brakes, i agree that stainless braided lines along with a pad and rotor upgrade would be nice to see. how about some electric fan's? (i don't recall if your truck already had them). any chance of a rocker arm upgrade? i see SLP has been advertising their kit for trucks....

as for running the blown ss against an STS truck, is there one out there to run with him?

That's an even better idea Zippy - electric fans! Maybe they could be the first to test out how the '05 fans fit and perform?

i would like to see the electric fans

also test the vara ram intake to see if the results are real that they claim

tranny mods do the billet servos and report

The vararam would be almost worthless on a SC truck. Although, an 05' electric fan retro fit would be a great right-up for the mag, regardless wether it's tied into the truck's series or not. :thumbs:

We tested the new VaraRam ram/cold air box (the one that gets air from above and below) in Part 4. There was an improvement over Volant's new air box. Has anyone else obtained Volants new air box specifically for the SS? The tranny has already been upgraded in Part 3.

From what I understand the PCM has one "open" output line to control electric fans (please correct me if I am wrong). I'm working on a circuit that will permit the single control line to place the fans on high speed, low speed, or off.

Are there any electric water pumps out yet?

I am concerned about having a big drop (i.e., 4/6 drop). My concern lies in the drive train power angles and premature joint wear.

Any other brake upgrade suggestions?

"Once upon a time" I questioned about the lowering effect on the SS shocks (because now we have changed a engineered dimension "X") but got no response... I thought it might be because I was a “newbie”... or no one really gave it any thought..... but the effects that lowering your SS might have on the performance of the suspension would be of interest.... especially if it put your handling capability of the SS too close to the edge or outside of its’ intended envelope…. :driving:

:D i would love to see a cam change and maybe a rev kit ,but one that idles well and pulls good vacuum. ive read about cam swaps on 5.3 motors good for 100hp that sing to 6800 rpm w\rev kit. the radix might make more horse at higher rpm?

Couple of recommendations for the next series and forgive me if they have already been done.

Lowering kit from McGaughys

Better shocks

- I put Bilsteins on mine but they are generic K series shocks and I couldn't tell that much difference. A comparison between QA1/Edelbrock/Bilsteins would be cool.

Sway bars

Lighter wheels

- How much do they improve performance over the heavy stock wheels.

Thats my $.02

"Once upon a time" I questioned about the lowering effect on the SS shocks (because now we have changed a engineered dimension "X") but got no response... I thought it might be because I was a  “newbie”... or no one really gave it any thought..... but the effects that lowering your SS might have on the performance of the suspension would be of interest....  especially if it put your handling capability of the SS too close to the edge or outside of its’ intended envelope….    :driving:

It's been talked about here before, but few seem to really care. Ground Force's kit came with new, and I'm pretty sure, shorted shocks. Also, I'm not positive, but McG's kit stated that the stock shocks were fine.

I would like to see some shocks engineered for the SSS, but with all of us at different heights (0-1.5-2-3" drops), we need a shock with a lot of play.

Archived