Best E-fan Kit?

Hey jason I'm curious if you know the part number for the kit you ordered? I'd like to know so if i go that route I make sure to get the correct kit. Any problems with your kit? I've heard mixed things about getting a bigger alternator or not, but I think I am gunna order a 160 or 145 amp and be done with the decision. I am running 2 12's and soon a 7" dvd player and probably HID headlights and TBSS fog lights in the future as well so I think its a good idea to upgrade!

Ya its too bad sprayed and Mr. P no longer sell that kit. I've heard great things about them and I'd definitely be down to buy it. Too bad im a late bloomer and just bought my ss last December :chevy:

So Sprayed/Mr. P if you are ever going to make another batch of HPM fans I'm down to buying a set and get my money back from these dormans-Just a thought...

Thank you for the compliments, they are appreciated. I have been very proud of the fan kits, and how well they are still regarded all these years later.

The reality is that a "clever rat" can get a set of junkyard fans working for under $200 in parts, and have an OEM solution. The only hard 'measurable' advantage that the HPM Torrent E-Fan Kit has is that it is *extremely* low-profile; that was its genesis, it had to be thin in order to make room for forced induction plumbing on my truck!

The financial reality is that very few truck enthusiasts will pay $600-700 for a set of E-Fans - only those few crazy enough to undertake fabricating custom turbo or centrifugal projects and needing those 2-1/2" the OEM E-Fans still consume. Because I have to build in bulk (at least 15-units just to break even) and there is no longer that kind of demand to support massive group buys for a custom product on a truck that is now getting long in the modding tooth, these will have to just be priced and made on a project-by-project basis.

So if you can convince me why your build REQUIRES a set of these bespoke-for-free units (each Torrent kit was truly a labor of love, we barely broke-even on them) I might consider pitching in and helping with your truck. From now on, they will have to be specd, priced, and made individually. You'll have to bribe me!

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Personally, I would throw a brand new FAL set into the dumpster. The FAL kit pulls less air than the OEM fans - at a truck meet in Waco we had the Torrent, FAL, and OEM side-by-side and the FAL kit pulled a little less air than the OEM, the Torrent kit pulled half-again more air than the OEM fans. The plastic of the FAL shroud IMO is inferior to OEM, that is my impression.

But the worst issue though is that Dan (Sprayed99) extinguished an electrical fire on a *close* friend's truck, the relay/control box on the FAL kit had spontaneously caught fire. :uhoh: In all fairness to FAL, HPM had two harness failures across the entire run of Torrent kits made, and in those cases the fans quit working but never was there a fire (or any other damage to the purchaser's vehicle) - and brand new replacement harnesses were exchanged on-the-spot for free because it would crush me if one of our control harnesses burned down someone's truck like that. Serious stuff.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• 5 months later...