4.56 good choice?

I haven't posted in forever but as you all know I have factory 3.73s and I want a different gear. I wouldn't notice 4.10s barely at all but would 4.56s be a good choice? I've recently gone to a 20x12 wheel and stayed with my 305/50/20 nitto 420 but it needs more gear. Any suggestions on what brand gears and how much and install should cost, or how hard it would be to do myself, ill be pulling the axle housing no matter what anyways.

Track or street or mixed use?

What RPM do you want to see at the top of 3rd gear at the track? What is the HP/torque curve of your cam, etc?

Do you care about mileage?

I have 4.10s with 30" tall (shorter) tires (so it's the same 'effective ratio' as if I installed 4.30's with keeping the stock 32" tires); truck cruises at 2500-RPM @75-mph now, mileage took a 1-mpg hit. I love it, I would not go with 4.56's, I think that is too much gear for a street truck - if it's a "purpose-specific" truck then do the worksheets and determine the rear gear you need the right way.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

My tire is 32 inches tall. At 70 I'm right at 2000 rpm. I did some calculations and it said with 4.56s I'd be at 2400 at 70. I drive mostly in town and a little highway but not much. I know I want at least 4.30 but I can't decide if I want to jump up to a 4.56

The LS motors were specifically designed by GM to cruise at 1800-2100 RPM for best mileage & emissions... of course that doesn't matter now that you've CHANGED CAMS! You need to find out now from Comp what the recommended cruise speed is for that cam, and consider it in the equation.

Look: what are you really asking for here?! If you truly desired a maximum performance effort vehicle you would have already gotten the 4.56's on the way to your doorstep!! So why are you hesitating, are you afraid that they will make the truck slower? or that they are going to make you regret the mileage? or that you will regret always driving around town at 3500+ RPM?!

If you put the 4.56's in, you are basically deciding to make the truck "purpose-specific" i.e. a Saturday night special hot-street & track use vehicle. If this is what you want, and you're ok having 15 highway MPG then no doubt do it. I've done the same on past vehicles, and did not regret doing so because well I'm a throttle junkie that way.

But, and I'll quit "couching" my answer - I would highly encourage the 4.30s, especially given the fact you've already got so much damned converter in the truck! The goal is to make the motor spend as much time in it's RPM "sweet spot" (dictated by the cam profile). So log a couple runs, and LOOK at the RPMs the truck is operating at while doing a pass... then you can honestly decide, do you need an additional 200-RPM, or 400-RPM, or 800-RPM etc and that will dictate how much more gearing you need.

It's been 3-years since I've been at the track, but to my memory the 2WD trucks that were converted to 4.10s actually ran SLOWER than the trucks with the 3.73's! Point is, I would find a knowledgeable resource and get a plan on what tire/slick you are going to use to actually USE that gearing, and what (if any) rear suspension assistance will be needed as well. You might find that in order to utilize all that gearing and keep from blowing the tires off it might require a set of cal-trac bars or ... ??? ... 2WD trucks have a very tough time with traction.

Also, future truck "direction" should also be considered; if you are using forced induction or nitrous in the future, 4.56's will be overkill IMO.

Unless you can justify a solid reasoning why, I would recommend against the 4.56s. But we'll still love ya the same regardless of your choice!

Mr. P. :)

Well after that I think I've decided on 4.30s! I have a fairly heavy wheel and zippy also told me if I go with a 4.10-4.56 it would be less stress on the trans too. I don't think I would notice a 4.10 enough and a 4.56 is a little overkill so a 4.30 should be fine.

I run 4.30's in my daily and am very happy with them. If I was going all out for the strip I would have gone with 4.56's to cross the traps @ the optimal RPM for my N/A setup. If it was purely for a daily with no racing and towing only I would have stuck with 4.10's.

Since I tow and race the happy meduim seemed to be 4.30's.

It is also nice to see some people on here from my neck of the woods!

Edited by jmgak47 (see edit history)

Zach does anybody here know about your new setup? If so I might have to ask around since you're so secretive!! And I'm going with 4.30s I just need to find somebody to install them around here. Where are you from?^

Good choice! I have used Ryan's Transmission in Quinlan, did very well at setting up the gears on my Ram. They were silent when most say aftermarket 4.56's will always make noise on a Ram. Close localy I really don't know, I imagine East Texas Muscle Cars sets up differentials. Then again I don't know how good they are...

I live in Mount Pleasant. Spent alot of time in Longview when I went to college at LeTourneau and go there weekly to visit my brother.

There's an offroad place in town that's supposed to do a good job and not break the bank. Some places charge over 1,000 per axle and that's just ridiculous to me. I only have one axle of course but still lol. Has anybody used motive gears?

Only a few but looking like my truck may be cam only for a while. In the process of buying a house and not sure when Ill have the extra coin to drop on the truck.

Jay, ETMC is owned by a friend of mine and though Ive never had any work done by their shop they do have a very good rep from most people. They have built some very nice and respectable cars and trucks and its a smaller shop (only 2-3 employees) so they tend to pay attention to detail a bit better. I have heard his tuning is a bit on the slacking side sometimes but thats just all word of mouth info from other people. Ill be back in Longview this weekend, might bring the SS, but probably be in the DMAX.