A Letter to the site

kcsilveradoss

Hello everyone - been awhile, hope everyone has been well these last several years.

... a strong majority of the current active members of the site cannot play nice with others. ....

Hello Shaun. Disheartening to read this is still an ongoing problem here.

...i have learned allot INFACT a TON from the veterans like ZIPPY,MR.P , KRAMBO,SPRAYED99 ...AND OTHERS I KNOW IM LEAVING OUT but now i em very knowledge able and feel i know these trucks almost inside out now since i have replaced probably 80% of this truck myself. ....

:) Thank you for the gratitude, it is sincerely appreciated. It makes me very happy knowing that you have found some growth and fulfillment through your car crafting pursuits, and I'm privileged hearing that the sharing of my own enthusiasm for my life's hobby was inspiring to you. I'm glad to see that you were able to make your truck your own; a real man tailors his life to suit himself, because he knows that what counts isn't necessarily how "luxurious" an item is, but rather how well it fits him. Kudos. :thumbs:

...BUT, when a newby comes on here saying a 5k lbs truck can out corner a vette ...

Yeah, maybe. Maybe not. (Depends on what year Vette we're discussing?!) OTOH, if I read a member saying their 5300-lb AWD truck beat a Lamborghini Gallardo onto the freeway from a 15-mph roll as they were driving back to the office from lunch with their boss in the passenger's seat... hmmmmmm... personally I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that story! :driving: Speaking for myself, of course. :D

we need Mr. P. back. I feel it went downhill when he disappeared lol.

LOL yeah, all my fault I'm afraid! And I can fix that whole "middle east problem" too! I'm just bustin' on ya, I genuinely thank you for the very kind words. But the reasons I decided to go "off grid" had to do with factors affecting all of us on this site for the many months preceding. My "truck life", as well as Dan's (Sprayed99) got very dysfunctional for lots of reasons and factors - some of our own making, some of others' making; in the end it was necessary for us to detach from that dysfunction. We literally could not go on living the way we were at that time, our "involvement" took a large personal toll.

Probably one of the most helpful people I have ever had help me on this site. Him and Danny just hand out their phone numbers so they could help.

There is so much information on this site. I hope it doesn't all go to waste! Lol

Thanks, I can say with clear conscience that Dan and I did truly try to help, from a good place. About that decision to give you guys my phone number... The breaking point for me, was sitting with my fiancé (at the time) on a Friday night at 11:35pm and the phone ringing, with some random person in Wisconsin (wtf?) on the phone that I have never heard from before (or since!) in a panic: "DUDE *sigh of relief* am I SO GLAD to get you on the phone - I think I just blew the head gaskets on my Yukon, what do I do?!" And I was nice and spent until past midnight explaining that he needed to check the fluids and find a competent local mechanic since this wasn't something I could diagnose from 5 states away.... It was at that time I realized that at midnight there are better things to be doing with my evenings (like making love with my fiancé!) and this also underscored the fact that several folks in the truck hobbiest community were in fact time and resource leaches. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "man, can I give you $100 and a six-pack to help me tune my truck" .... and I'm sorry fellas but a six-pack is a pretty insulting offer to someone that will have to spend the WEEKS living in your project to tune it correctly. I came to quickly realize that there are two kinds of "automotive enthusiasts", those that genuinely LOVE car crafting and grow and learn from it as a life's pursuit and in turn give back, and others that pretend to love car crafting to use as a guise to get free parts and labor to accomplish the 4-wheeled rolling billboard used to advertise their ego. And Dan suffered at least 5x worse than I did (he's a giver in that way).

So to the anonymous person here who passed my phone number to some completely inconsiderate looser in Wisconsin - thanks for the education in personal boundaries, and for freeing me from those who don't have them.

Very good discussion and suggestions as a result of this thread. The intent was to re-establish the site rules, bring to the forefront some issues we (mods) are seeing as well as solicit recommendations for site improvement.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Hi Kevin! :seeya: Just wanted to take the moment here to say Hey!

-----------

Quoting Tony Robbins: the quality of your life is the quality of the people you have in your life. And sss.com might be "virtual" but we all know that before long everyone here has an impact on everyone else, we all become a meaningful part of each others' lives - sometimes positive, sometimes negative - there are folks I've met here I never want to part from for the rest of my life, and there are others I've met here that frankly are so dysfunctional I never care to meet again, a couple even so far as to say virtually. This isn't a biggie, such is life, if nobody hates you then nobody loves you either - but what made the site so special in those first few years was not that we all bought the same truck, or were gearheads, or were all hard-working middle-class men with families - it was because ALL of us GREW personally from our involvement with each other; we were better for being a part of this site and the brotherhood that developed. And we recognized it at the time, but looking back now I think we still took it for granted.

I'm active on FB, but I control my "personal circle" a bit more closely now. Dan (Sprayed99) and I haven't spent as much time together as we used to, but we're still close and he's the closest thing I've had to a brother. We still have our personal automotive projects and tinker at times, and I know that after a while we'll be back in the garage building something loud and seriously scary. I've already made the personal decision to build a Texas Mile car, when life budgets finally allow (it might be a couple years off). But in the meantime - I'm happy living a much more balanced life, and the truck's not for sale. :happy:

If you want to friend me on FB, by all means send me an invite - I find that I enjoy staying in touch that way.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Wow Mr. P is back!

"I'm glad to see that you were able to make your truck your own; a real man tailors his life to suit himself, because he knows that what counts isn't necessarily how "luxurious" an item is, but rather how well it fits him"

Exactly^ this is what I try to explain to people when they ask why I haven't done this or that to my truck. It's cuz it fits me and my goals and priorities and I'm happy with it. Guess I am a real man lol.

Steve great to hear your being responsible in your life and doing what YOU know is right. You know the SS family is always here for you if you ever need to turn to us.

This is also a good example on how many of the veterans with knowledge have stepped back from posting on the site. Some give their thoughts when needed and others read the same stuff over and over and shake their heads. Most of the criticism and information that is given to new members is that same information given by someone else with the knowledge. Most of the new people don't like the answers, and think that because someone gives a answer they don't want to hear that those that have been around and have done or know how to do something are just being ignorant. There has been a big swing of members the past few years and few who will help are the ones criticized the most. IMO if you ask a question be ready to get an opinionated answer and if you leave a vague description on which cam is best etc you get what you ask for. If you can't take criticism or aren't prepaired to hear something don't post. You open a can of worms, they come out.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Mr. P

I don't know you since I am fairly new here but just by reading what you post and seeing the info you have shared I can tell that you are sincere. I may not have much planned for my truck now due to other projects I need to complete first but I love to sit and read and do my research and in that sense you have helped me out already. The automotive industry and those of us who haven't been doing this for a long time need people like you who know what they are talking about and aren't afraid to help out or share their knowledge. I am glad to see you back on the forums and hope to continue to learn more about these trucks.

" I came to quickly realize that there are two kinds of "automotive enthusiasts", those that genuinely LOVE car crafting and grow and learn from it as a life's pursuit and in turn give back, and others that pretend to love car crafting to use as a guise to get free parts and labor to accomplish the 4-wheeled rolling billboard used to advertise their ego. "

Myself being apart of a car club I can tell you that I know exactly how people can be. I have seen guys come and go who only use us for what we can provide. The good thing is that there are still plenty of sincere people out there who love this hobby or lifestyle genuinely.

Alex.

Wow Mr. P is back!

"I'm glad to see that you were able to make your truck your own; a real man tailors his life to suit himself, because he knows that what counts isn't necessarily how "luxurious" an item is, but rather how well it fits him"

Exactly^ this is what I try to explain to people when they ask why I haven't done this or that to my truck. It's cuz it fits me and my goals and priorities and I'm happy with it. Guess I am a real man lol.

People will always have an opinion. I know I find myself giving my opinion all the time to people when sometimes I really shouldn't but what counts is that we do what makes us happy. When you do something to please others you aren't pleasing yourself it's a fake sense of satisfaction.

IMO if you ask a question be ready to get an opinionated answer and if you leave a vague description on which cam is best etc you get what you ask for. If you can't take criticism or aren't prepaired to hear something don't post.

The problem with some people that I have noticed is that in their mind some think they already have the answer and when you tell them otherwise they get offended.

I've been a member here since late 2006, a little after i got my SS, i don't frequent the site as much as i use to but personally it's for multiple reasons. the site just didn't seem to have the same sense on community i had grown use to, i also realized a second wave of owners were joining the site and the repetitive questions and senseless bashing by some of the senior members got old.

My SS was the first vehicle i bought, i was also pretty young(19) when i got it so i think i benefited from the site because i majored as a person by seeing how some of the more experienced/knowledgeable members responded to the threads and i learned from that. when i first signed up here and on pt.net i saw some of the greatest builds happen right in front of my eyes(or cpu screen) and i was able to ask some of those memorable members questions and get some much needed knowledge. I watched as some of the guys on here built their trucks and shave 2,3 even 4 seconds off their 1/4 times, it's been great. I've also seen some of the nicest trucks be built and then lost, in accidents, robberies(mine being one of them) and even a few home disasters that claimed some trucks!

I don't claim to be knowledgeable myself but I've learned so much on here and I've also met some great people thru this forum, some that have become great friends to me and that's what i always saw this site as, a community where someone can meet fellow enthusiast and share some good times. pt.net and sss.com were really my intro's to the internet lol, since then I've joined more forums and have found new interests which is also why I don't frequent the site as much but i still like to come in and see what the new members and some of the older members have done to their trucks. I'd like to continue doing that and i hope i can. I'm very happy to see some of the older members commenting on here still as well as new members/owners still enjoying SS's, they're great trucks and this site has helped inspire some FAST trucks, including the fastest SSS's in the nation and that's still pretty awesome if you ask me!

-Rob

I've been a member here since late 2006, a little after i got my SS, i don't frequent the site as much as i use to but personally it's for multiple reasons. the site just didn't seem to have the same sense on community i had grown use to, i also realized a second wave of owners were joining the site and the repetitive questions and senseless bashing by some of the senior members got old.

My SS was the first vehicle i bought, i was also pretty young(19) when i got it so i think i benefited from the site because i majored as a person by seeing how some of the more experienced/knowledgeable members responded to the threads and i learned from that. when i first signed up here and on pt.net i saw some of the greatest builds happen right in front of my eyes(or cpu screen) and i was able to ask some of those memorable members questions and get some much needed knowledge. I watched as some of the guys on here built their trucks and shave 2,3 even 4 seconds off their 1/4 times, it's been great. I've also seen some of the nicest trucks be built and then lost, in accidents, robberies(mine being one of them) and even a few home disasters that claimed some trucks!

I don't claim to be knowledgeable myself but I've learned so much on here and I've also met some great people thru this forum, some that have become great friends to me and that's what i always saw this site as, a community where someone can meet fellow enthusiast and share some good times. pt.net and sss.com were really my intro's to the internet lol, since then I've joined more forums and have found new interests which is also why I don't frequent the site as much but i still like to come in and see what the new members and some of the older members have done to their trucks. I'd like to continue doing that and i hope i can. I'm very happy to see some of the older members commenting on here still as well as new members/owners still enjoying SS's, they're great trucks and this site has helped inspire some FAST trucks, including the fastest SSS's in the nation and that's still pretty awesome if you ask me!

-Rob

well said!