C5 Corvette transmission pan for my Silverado SS

I didn't realize jumping out of planes taught you how to work on a truck?

I missed the part where I claimed that.

US Army Airborne Jumpmasters taught me to jump out of planes. I taught myself to work on a truck.

He's not saying "you are dumb for this" he's simply saying money is better spent elsewhere if money is an issue. Everyone is over reacting today holy f.

Yes smoke will work just don't use your wiper blades. Lol.

My wiper blades spray plasti dip instead of washer fluid, so it's all good.

Edited by Airborneninja (see edit history)

I think it's a great find that I have never seen done or talked about. And what I like even more is you were not afraid to put out your cash to try something that might not work. If I replaced my pan, I'd put this on, sure doesn't hurt and only 20 bucks more. I've spent more money on stupider things then this.... and probably will continue to.

Brad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Steve AKA Mr.P did this exact same thing years ago so no... its not new. I know because he had me paint the damn thing and put it on his transmission when we were rebuilding it.

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

To the OP we never said it was pointless... we did see you say that you were doing this on somewhat of a budget which I can totally understand.

We also aren't saying you are an idiot or stupid for doing this... or at least I'm not. I simply said that if you are doing upgrades on a budget the best bang for the buck would have been spent on a cooler.

If you need my experience to justify that I know what I'm doing that is fine I can post my entire history from how I started to what I do for a living now if that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but what I do or know isn't going to change your attitude only you can do that.

The term veteran was used strictly as to the time we have been around this particular forum and these platforms. It was not a knock to any service member and don't think for a second that we don't appreciate your service.

2Bfast said someone got raped on the 700.00 transcooler because that is an insane amount of money to pay for a cooler with installation. We build custom aluminum radiators for under that price and yes that is installed!

Here is a quick picture of a radiator and fan that cost this customer close to what that 700 transmission cooler cost.

CAM00537_zpseba745f8.jpg

calm down ninja go roll a joint and listen to some icp and come back with a better attitude , these guys are trying to help you . and if you think your truck will out perform a c5 vette on a road course you need to put down the crack ... lol.

Steve AKA Mr.P did this exact same thing years ago so no... its not new.

You're right. Zippy and Krambo too, it seems. Look what I found...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/36531-deep-transmission-pan/?hl=24208593&do=findComment&comment=427369

Hmm, interesting UPGRADE idea there, and coming from 'veteran' members with tens of thousands of posts, six years ago! Very nice read, thank you Sprayed99.

I rest my case. I respect the opinions of Zippy over someone who polished their water pump and tells me I'm wasting money any day.

They all loved the C5 Corvette pan and recommend it to everyone. HA! Thanks again, Sprayed99. It took awhile, but I found that thread by searching the part # of the pan.

You're right. Zippy and Krambo too, it seems. Look what I found...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/36531-deep-transmission-pan/?hl=24208593&do=findComment&comment=427369

Hmm, interesting UPGRADE idea there, and coming from 'veteran' members with tens of thousands of posts, six years ago! Very nice read, thank you Sprayed99.

I rest my case. I respect the opinions of Zippy over someone who polished their water pump and tells me I'm wasting money any day.

They all loved the C5 Corvette pan and recommend it to everyone. HA! Thanks again, Sprayed99. It took awhile, but I found that thread by searching the part # of the pan.

Yeah honestly if I could fit it on my truck I'm building I would. Being a street rod the car pan is just about as deep as I want to go or tear the damn thing off on the roads.

Any chance you could lay it flat and get a depth measurement?

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

Your like that bi polar ex girlfriend that never comes to reality. You made this post making it seem like this pan was the next best thing since sliced bread. Puts the filter deep in the fluid, wont suck air, blah blah. Dude, these are 1500 Silverado farm trucks. Not some road race car. Get a grip. Just cause it came on a "corvette" doesnt mean its gonna be just so awesome for our trucks. And by the way, you keep referring to Corvette "servos"....in reality there is only one that is different on the corvette not two which is the 2nd apply and not the fourth apply.

I never once said it was a bad mod, but to make a thread making it seem like its so crucial for our TRUCKS to have this is going overboard. My point im trying to make is when a newbie gets on reading this thread they dont think "oh wow I really need that or im gonna starve my transmission of fluid"...rather yes this is benificial but a trans cooler is more benificial for the money. But hell if you have the extra cash why not do both?! Like you said for $20 bucks your gonna have the pan off anyhow. Stick this one on with an extra quart of fluid. Def kudos for sharing the mod to some of the new comers that havnt been around.

calm down ninja go roll a joint and listen to some icp and come back with a better attitude , these guys are trying to help you . and if you think your truck will out perform a c5 vette on a road course you need to put down the crack ... lol.

No, the guys in the thread I just posted are helping people.

This here is nothing but negativity and false claims.

I will not be discredited by someone who does not even understand what's going on. Why didn't he discredit all those members like Zippy back in 07, when they made accurate statements as to the purpose and benefit of this pan, just like I TRIED to do here?

You wouldn't race a stock c5 vette through curves??!! It's not crack, buddy it's called confidence. I would put money on my truck (with new tires) against one anytime anywhere.

Here are some facts for you....

'Buyers could purchase the C5 Corvette with a four-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission. Both drivetrains could achieve 345 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 350 lb-ft. of torque at 4,400 rpm. In performance, "Motor Trend" reports that the LS1 could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, hit 109.3 mph in the quarter-mile in 13.2 seconds and reach a top speed of 173.9 mph.'

You see that guys? The angelic C5 Corvette has MATCHING HORSEPOWER and LESS TORQUE than a STOCK Silverado SS. And the 1/4 mile times are easily achievable too (and that's a straight line, not curves). How could a built awd SSS NOT beat a stock, REAR WHEEL DRIVE c5 Corvette in a road race? Fact is, it will. All day. And with just a few hundred bucks added to a stock SSS, it would beat that vette in ANY race, ANYwhere, ANYtime.
And that stock vette, which is slower AND corners worse than my truck, comes with this pan on it straight from Chevrolet, to prevent the trans filter sucking air on launches and curves....... Ummm, my truck launches faster, AND handles curves faster than a stock c5, so to me and several other respected members of this site, this UPGRADE is a no brainer. To others, it seems to be on par with a throttle body spacer for some reason. But again, my faith and trust is in Zippy, Krambo, Mr. P, and GM Performance over someone who doesn't even own the vehicle this pan is for, ANYDAY.
Yea, I think I'll trust the Corvette engineers at GM Performance, thanks. If they deemed this pan necessary on a car that doesn't even need it as badly as my truck, then my truck definitely needs it now.
Again for clarity.... If you race two equal drivers on a road course, one in a less powerful, slower RWD car, and one in an AWD truck which also has more power and torque, who do you think is going to win 9 out of 10 times?! Probably 10 out of 10 actually. A stock c5 Corvette, even a Z06 with a 6 speed, is not even a threat to one of our built trucks on a road course, or even in the 1/4 mile if you spend a few hundred dollars on your stock SSS.
I suppose you're intimidated by Ford Raptors too. Our trucks will leave a stock Raptor choking on exhaust fumes. I do it all the time here in Ford country. I'd even race one of those ugly things in dirt and sand, with mild upgrades and tires on my truck. And beat that Ford again for a 1/4 of the price.... then swap tires and beat a vette on a road course... then tow the vette home!!!
Thanks again everyone who posted here, even to the negative posts about this hidden gem. I am more convinced now than ever that I NEED this pan put on my truck. You all can read the FACTS and make your own decisions.

I think it's a great find that I have never seen done or talked about. And what I like even more is you were not afraid to put out your cash to try something that might not work. If I replaced my pan, I'd put this on, sure doesn't hurt and only 20 bucks more. I've spent more money on stupider things then this.... and probably will continue to.

Brad

Steve AKA Mr.P did this exact same thing years ago so no... its not new. I know because he had me paint the damn thing and put it on his transmission when we were rebuilding it.

I stand corrected.

And that being said, enough is enough guys. Every point has been made

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Your like that bi polar ex girlfriend that never comes to reality. You made this post making it seem like this pan was the next best thing since sliced bread. Puts the filter deep in the fluid, wont suck air, blah blah. Dude, these are 1500 Silverado farm trucks. Not some road race car. Get a grip. Just cause it came on a "corvette" doesnt mean its gonna be just so awesome for our trucks. And by the way, you keep referring to Corvette "servos"....in reality there is only one that is different on the corvette not two which is the 2nd apply and not the fourth apply.

I never once said it was a bad mod, but to make a thread making it seem like its so crucial for our TRUCKS to have this is going overboard. My point im trying to make is when a newbie gets on reading this thread they dont think "oh wow I really need that or im gonna starve my transmission of fluid"...rather yes this is benificial but a trans cooler is more benificial for the money. But hell if you have the extra cash why not do both?! Like you said for $20 bucks your gonna have the pan off anyhow. Stick this one on with an extra quart of fluid. Def kudos for sharing the mod to some of the new comers that havnt been around.

Next best thing since sliced bread? I stated facts. Those are just facts about what it does, and I explained that to you on the other thread days ago. The first thing I said was EXACTLY what it does, and that it is probably overkill. Then you jumped on here and immediately said it's "pointless", and disregarded it because it's not a cooler. Read my previous post for some more facts on our "farm trucks" versus a Corvette. My farm truck seems to need this pan worse than the vaunted corvette does.

I never said just cause something came on a "corvette" its gonna be awesome for our trucks. I sure don't want Goodyear Eagles on my truck. Or a rag top. Or RWD.

You originally said it was a pointless mod and a waste of money, but I'm glad you now see what I'm getting at. Just trying to share this with guys here who have been helpful. I'm not claiming it can do anything that it is not intended for. It is not for cooling, it is for exactly what I stated it is for. And now there is further evidence from highly respected members of this site who have actually already done this, and say it is a great upgrade. Interesting.

And then you're going to harp on an 's' being added to the word 'servo'? Laugh out loud at that last grasp.

That's all you got left, huh. No hard feelings though from me, you helped me research this mod even more and realize that our trucks need it more than the car it was installed on. The more I read about it, the more I justify it's installation.

LMAO! please tell me your drunk or high ! you do know the truck is 2-2500 LBS HEAVIER then a vette and probably be lucky to pull half the G's a vette can in a corner right? our trucks need about 25% more horse power then a vette to keep up with one in a straight line let alone threw the curves . trucks are not designed to take corners at speed like a vette awd or not the vette will stomp you in the corners .

Yeah honestly if I could fit it on my truck I'm building I would. Being a street rod the car pan is just about as deep as I want to go or tear the damn thing off on the roads.

Any chance you could lay it flat and get a depth measurement?

Sure. I also posted pics to make it easier to see how I measured. It's 4 inches total depth, pan with sump. The sump itself hangs 1 1/2 inches below the rest of the pan.

The benefits of the sump are not extra fluid or cooling, just added fluid collection and suction.

post-25120-0-84240200-1377301793_thumb.jpg

post-25120-0-38905700-1377301823_thumb.jpg

LMAO! please tell me your drunk or high ! you do know the truck is 2-2500 LBS HEAVIER then a vette and probably be lucky to pull half the G's a vette can in a corner right? our trucks need about 25% more horse power then a vette to keep up with one in a straight line let alone threw the curves . trucks are not designed to take corners at speed like a vette awd or not the vette will stomp you in the corners .

You don't get it. You must be illiterate or stupid if I'm drunk or high. Don't get personal with me, Internet Rambo. Learn to read.

I know our trucks are heavier than a Corvette. When did I say they're not, Captain Obvious? Most of us here also have WELL over 25% more HP than 345. And I'm pretty sure I said same driver, so whatever the outcome, no one is stomping me.

Illiteracy and assumptions are a serious problem in this country. Transmission pans are not. Get your priorities straight.

SO your truck has 25% more horse power then 345 hp (431hp) with just a cai, exhaust servos and your tune ?? oh wait your trans pan will add at least 50 hp ... your a dumb a$$ and people like you are whats destroying the site.