C5 Corvette transmission pan for my Silverado SS

I see in your signature that you don't actually own a vehicle that this pan is for, so perhaps not.

Thank you for all your helpful comments though.

You obviously didnt look hard enough........

Like you said, its up to you. What I think is odd is you say you cant afford a trans cooler yet your spending all this money replacing the pan and fluid and not really gaining anything. When for not that much more you can have a trans cooler installed and actually benefit from the cooler temps and make use of the money you are spending. Think about it...you are in a truck, not pulling G's cornering. Again you are in a truck, not pulling 1.4 60ft times. The factory filter is going to be "deep in the fluid" just fine. Heat is what kills transmissions. Radiating the heat from the fluid via a cooler is one of the best ways to pro-long a transmissions life.

What im getting at is this and to everyone who reads this in the future. Im not trying to bash your modding thread you have going here. This mod isnt a bad thing and wouldnt hurt if you are bored and have money burning a hole in your pocket. But if you are wanting to get the best bang for your buck for your truck to help aid in transmission life a cooler is the way to go and im tellin ya its not that much more for one either.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

It's not a cooler. I never claimed I got it to cool the transmission fluid.

Adding this pan while doing my NEEDED fluid and filter change cost me about $20 extra over a stock pan.

I didn't realize that scheduled maintenance on a rare, somewhat high performance vehicle is a waste of time and money, since I'm not "gaining anything".

I recently read that someone paid $700 total for a trans cooler installation. The fluid change I'm doing is required IMO, will take me an hour and cost me $20 extra. Perhaps I should spend my money on getting a polished water pump instead.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post when I install a cooler too.

Edited by Airborneninja (see edit history)

When veteran members post in your thread it isnt only for you, but those that may read it in the future.

Now this pan swap isnt a bad thing at all. Word of advise dont use the drain unless you have a new factory bolt and seal or it will leak. Now as for the "sump" this was designed for a platform that can actually benefit from it as I highly doubt your truck will be taking corners like a road race corvette would. Its not wasted money at all just would have been a much better idea to save that coin for a cooler that has much more benefit.

And 700 on a cooler??? Wow someone got reamed. You can do a moderate cooler upgrade for under 100.00. You dont need the Tru-cool 40K like a lot of peo.ple run. Tru-cool makes smaller units under 100.00 and a few compression fittings and a simple bracket would be just fine.

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

I'm tired of repeating myself to 'veteran' members who claim something is pointless because it doesn't do something that I never even claimed it was for.

C5 Corvette deep sump transmission pan

DISCLAIMER:

This will not cool your transmission. This is a C5 Corvette pan that benefits high performance vehicles on launch and in high speed turns, and it fits our trucks. You may find that interesting, you may not. If you're changing your fluid and your pan needs replaced, this is a nice $20 upcharge. If you would like a cooler, buy a cooler.

That was pretty much it from me from the start, and all I've done is have to repeat myself to 'veterans' since.

Thanks to the 'veteran' members for helping me see the light now. I will now return the Corvette pan, lower my truck 2 inches, buy aftermarket lights, add a transmission cooler, and a radix. Maybe get everything under the hood polished too. Then maybe something I post will be considered valid by the 'veteran' members.

I apologize for finding something rare that I assumed someone might find interesting. I didn't realize it had to be run by the 'veterans' first to make sure they have one on their truck already. Or in some cases perhaps, HAD one.

Also, not a boast, but if you put almost any driver in my SS on a road track, I really think he would run it faster in my AWD SS, than he could in a stock C5 Corvette.

And the stock C5 Corvette came with this pan, along with servos, so why shouldn't I add this to MY truck (yes, my truck) for an additional $20 when doing a fluid, filter, and pan change?

I'll post about how much better it shifts in a few days, if at all. Yes, that was sarcasm earlier about seeing 'the light'. I can make my own decisions without the green Kool Aid.

You're getting overly defensive. You never stated that you were only doing it as an added value during a fluid change. The way I read the thread was this as a planned mod for added value. 2bfasT from what I can see never hinted that your intentions with the pan were to cool fluid...

Run that pan and rip those corners harder then others that can only grasp the sack to go staight maybe through in a couple donuts I would this truck spins like a top if your not scared. yesterday I ripped the off ramp at 60 mph sideways getting it hard so for the money this would be a great upgrade for me thanks for the info OP

Whoever spent $700.00 on a trans cooler is out of their mind

$130 give or take tops

"I recently read that someone paid $700 TOTAL for a trans cooler INSTALLATION."

Ummmm... should I read this aloud for the class?

Here I am again repeating myself to 'veteran' members who seem to just pick and choose parts of my sentences, then reply based on what they concocted.

Thanks again for the extremely helpful and non-repetitive comments from the "veterans" of a website. I'll save my 20 years of self taught mechanical experience on GM trucks for myself and my family.

This is a TRUE veteran (7 years US Army, Sergeant, 82nd Airborne Division. Iraqi Freedom and Afghanistan combat service, now disabled because of surgeries on my destroyed paratrooper knees and a rocket explosion in my ear) signing out.

I will be back with pics and a detailed description of my plasti dipped rims, bumpers, valve covers, intake, hood, steering wheel, dash, and license plate holder. That's going TO BE FAST!!

You're getting overly defensive. You never stated that you were only doing it as an added value during a fluid change. The way I read the thread was this as a planned mod for added value. 2bfasT from what I can see never hinted that your intentions with the pan were to cool fluid...

It was all explained directly to him on another thread. He then got on this thread with the pics and disregarded everything that I already explained. I'm just explaining again. And again. And again.

How is anyone who has "polished water pump" in his list of mods for the SS he HAD, going to seriously say this $20 upcharge transmission pan off of a Corvette does "nothing" and is a waste of money"?

IQs are now based on number of posts someone has on a website? Or can someone have a valid idea who spent their life driving and fixing GM trucks, jumping out of airplanes and getting shot at instead of polishing their fan blades and sitting at a computer?

I didn't realize jumping out of planes taught you how to work on a truck?

He's not saying "you are dumb for this" he's simply saying money is better spent elsewhere if money is an issue. Everyone is over reacting today holy f.

Yes smoke will work just don't use your wiper blades. Lol.

I think it's a great find that I have never seen done or talked about. And what I like even more is you were not afraid to put out your cash to try something that might not work. If I replaced my pan, I'd put this on, sure doesn't hurt and only 20 bucks more. I've spent more money on stupider things then this.... and probably will continue to.

Brad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2