C5 Corvette transmission pan for my Silverado SS

My vette pan and filter came in last night to swap for the stock transmission pan on the SSS. I got under the truck with it, and it's a direct fit.

The exhaust Y pipe is well behind and below the added sump area. The tube on the new trans filter dips down into the sump, where there's about an extra quart of fluid that is always in place. It's a little longer than the oem filters for Silverados.

Pics of the pan. It also has a drain plug added that I didn't notice when I ordered it. Didn't think to get a pic of the filter yet. It's going on tonight if all goes well.

post-25120-0-18950100-1377178286_thumb.jpgpost-25120-0-97449300-1377178741_thumb.jpg

Edited by Airborneninja (see edit history)

What makes this worthwhile. Is it just the extra capacity?

nothing really, just to say you have an extra quart in the pan...which really doesnt do anything more either. I would be looking for ways to cool the oil rather than add

nothing really, just to say you have an extra quart in the pan...which really doesnt do anything more either. I would be looking for ways to cool the oil rather than add

One benefit I see is the drain plug. I know a couple times I've pulled the pan with oil in it while its still in the truck and it would be less of a mess having the option to take a bit out. Kinda have to fanagle mine out from around the exhaust. But I would assume that they make a pan the same size as our stock one with a plug in it, or you could just put one in yourself I guess. Either way wouldn't hurt having an extra quart I guess...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The pan has a sump(deep spot, like a bowl) in the front that holds about an extra quart and keeps fluid flowing better on hard launches, cornering, and off road. It accomplishes this because the filter inside has a slightly longer suction tube that reaches down into the sump, always sucking pure deep fluid. No matter what the situation, I prefer my transmission flowing as well as possible, and without air bubbles. Especially the 1-2 shift at the track for example, if that's your thing. Or towing through hills, with hard shifts on an incline. It keeps the fluid from all sloshing to the back or sides, causing the filter to intermittently suck air.
The C5 Corvette takes the same transmission pan as the Silverado with 4L60E, only in the C5 it is UPGRADED with this pan and filter, servos, etc... so why not?
I'm replacing the pan anyway while I have it off, the cost over oem is minimal. At $76 it is a fraction of the cost of the deeper aftermarket pans which just hold more fluid, but do nothing to always contain the fluid directly under the transmission filter suction tube.
Also this is a way to get a cheap pan that holds an extra quart of fluid, even if your exhaust Y or X pipe is up too close in the back for a full width, deep pan. Along with the other benefits, even if you deem those questionable.
And as I stated myself days ago in another thread... I'm sure it's overkill for my daily driver, but this is America and I want one.

Edited by Airborneninja (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes a caveman could install a plug in a stock pan

Also I would want the plug on the bottom of the pan rather than the side

I would prefer the plug in the bottom also, but I didn't even know it had a plug, so I'll take it.

Might not even use it, never needed to use one before, but it's there.

A trans cooler is definitely more important than just adding a pan, if a trans cooler is in your budget and skillset.

At this time it is not in my budget, time-wise or money-wise (the time and money I would lose researching, buying parts, and doing the project is not worth it to me at this point. I would definitely like to add a transmission cooler in the future though.

This is just an after work trans fluid swap, and I happened to find info on the Corvette pan for now.

Yes a caveman could install a plug in a stock pan

Also I would want the plug on the bottom of the pan rather than the side

So you installed a plug in your stock pan on the bottom then?

I see in your signature that you don't actually own a vehicle that this pan is for, so perhaps not.

Thank you for all your helpful comments though.

I'm going down to Grog's transmission shop now to have him put drain plugs in all 4 corners of my pan. I might even leave the plug out of one hole to help the tranny run cooler.

A trans cooler is definitely more important than just adding a pan, if a trans cooler is in your budget and skillset.

At this time it is not in my budget, time-wise or money-wise (the time and money I would lose researching, buying parts, and doing the project is not worth it to me at this point. I would definitely like to add a transmission cooler in the future though.

This is just an after work trans fluid swap, and I happened to find info on the Corvette pan for now.

this is what you want to get if its in your budget. "Its so easy a cave man can do it!!" Contact time2kill on here, he has a sweet pre-made bracket that fits perfectly on our trucks. I want to say its not more than 20 bones or so extra also, easy install and well worth it.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/31418-tru-cool-max-or-bm-70274-trans-cooler/

this is what you want to get if its in your budget. "Its so easy a cave man can do it!!" Contact time2kill on here, he has a sweet pre-made bracket that fits perfectly on our trucks. I want to say its not more than 20 bones or so extra also, easy install and well worth it.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/31418-tru-cool-max-or-bm-70274-trans-cooler/

Very nice! Thanks man. It's definitely in the future. Definitely.

Pics of the "deep sump" transmission oil filter with extended tube.

The paper included from GM Powertrain states that this filter with extended pick up tube is only to be used in 4L60E transmissions with "deep sump" bottom pan.

AC Delco Corvette parts are always welcome in my vehicles.

post-25120-0-33135600-1377213616_thumb.jpg

post-25120-0-20688400-1377213642_thumb.jpg

post-25120-0-64940000-1377213668_thumb.jpg