Full Transmission Flush vs. Pan Drop and Filter Change

How important do you guys think it is to do a full transmission flush instead of just dropping the pan and changing the filter?

I'd prefer to exchange all my fluid, but I don't trust any shops in the area to do a flush correctly to clear out the tc and everything. (I wouldn't trust a shop in my area to air up a tire properly)

Maybe I'll do a couple pan drops over a few weeks time and keep diluting with new fluid until it's replaced the old? :-) I'd like to go to Dexron 6 anyway.

What do you guys do?

I went to a friends transmission shop owned and operated by him and his transmission flush was a drop pan and filter flush but be prepared with something to clean the pan there is a magnet that collects metal dust he used a parts wash and rag but I'm sure a cleaner spray and rag would work.

I'll definitely change the filter and clean up the pan too, I'm just wondering how vital it is to exchange the other half of the old fluid that doesn't just drain.

There's no problems with the fluid or the transmission, just planning for how I wanna do this.

Thanks for the quick replies too!

Depending on milage. I prefer a flush as long as its using the trans pump to do the flushing and the milage is not to much since the last flush.

This is my own chart I follow:

Over 60k do not flush, pan drop only.

Below 60k look at the old fluid and if it is still red and decently clean, not black then I would flush.

Below 30k fush no questions asked if the fluid checks out.

Daily:

Flush/Pan Drop/Filter Change every 30k

Drag truck:

Flush/Pan Drop/Filter Change every season or 15k

Yes that is probably overkill but in this Texas heat and how I drive my vehicals its cheap insurance.

Edited by jmgak47 (see edit history)

I agree that dropping the pan is more beneficial. By doing a pressure fluid change you not only bring up metal particles and recirculate them thru the trans, but also damage it by this method. I have seen alot of cars have this done and only lead to problems after wards. Replacing new fluid with old fluid as a top off isnt going to do anything but waste money. Do it right and drop the pan and filter, clean the magnet and the bottom of the tranny.

Thanks for the info and opinions guys. It looks like a no brainer now, especially with 80k miles on the truck.

The last 2 posts especially back up my concerns about a high mileage flush.

I'll be dropping and cleaning the pan, changing filter, and then topping off with dex6 this week. I'm sure it needs it, and I just got my tune in also.

Good stuff in this thread. I had my tranny fluid swapped at 51k (this was my weekly driver, not daily). Been in storage for awhile but condensation build up is a serious worry so I more than likely have to flush and will be doing the pan and filter. Im worried about it being a 2nd tranny flush and I am only at 64k and all the metal parts like Blown346 stated. Maybe a built tranny is in my future, that atf fluid acts like a detergent. Just have to get it down to a shop that Aldo went to and see what the trans guy recomends.

Let us know how she runs when you get your service done, I won't be doing mine for a bit.

The pan has a sump in the front that holds an extra quart and keeps fluid flowing better on hard launches, cornering, and off road(hehe). It keeps the fluid from all sloshing to the back or sides.

I'm sure it's overkill for my daily driver, but this is America and I want one.

It couldn't hurt for towing through steep hills too.

The pan has a sump in the front that holds an extra quart and keeps fluid flowing better on hard launches, cornering, and off road(hehe). It keeps the fluid from all sloshing to the back or sides.

I'm sure it's overkill for my daily driver, but this is America and I want one.

It couldn't hurt for towing through steep hills too.

Considering you are in a 5500 lb truck and not a Corvette on the autobahn........not really needed

But touche on being America and wanting one. If the exhaust doesnt get in the way......

Merrrica! Haha... The fit is supposed to be the exact same, except the sump up front, away from the exhaust.

Also I'm in Ohio, so the original pan has taken some weather and salt abuse under there (rusty edges). I might as well upgrade instead of just swapping it this week, since the vette pan is the same price as an oem replacement. I got it for about $70.

I think our trucks would do pretty good on the curves of the autobahn compared to a Corvette, so why not.

Also, the black plasti dip and B&M stickers I'll be putting on the new pan should keep the trans temps down at least 25 degrees.

Merrrica! Haha... The fit is supposed to be the exact same, except the sump up front, away from the exhaust.

Also I'm in Ohio, so the original pan has taken some weather and salt abuse under there (rusty edges). I might as well upgrade instead of just swapping it this week, since the vette pan is the same price as an oem replacement. I got it for about $70.

I think our trucks would do pretty good on the curves of the autobahn compared to a Corvette, so why not.

Also, the black PLASTI DIP and B&M stickers I'll be putting on the new pan should keep the trans temps down at least 25 degrees.

Oh shit! He said it!!! Everybody back up!!!