160 thermostat

haynss

so i changed my thermostat this weekend, and when i drive it say from home to work it leaks when i park. Is there a gasket or something that needs to go over it? I compared it with the stock one and they both appear to be the same....

Guess ill have to take it out again and see whats going on as i hate carrying bottles of water with me.

so i changed my thermostat this weekend, and when i drive it say from home to work it leaks when i park.  Is there a gasket or something that needs to go over it?  I compared it with the stock one and they both appear to be the same....

Guess ill have to take it out again and see whats going on as i hate carrying bottles of water with me.

Did you put the o-ring back in?

I had a simlar problem with a 325i BMW, it had a metal to metal fitting, it leaked. You can purchase gasket material, cut one out add some sealer and it will not leak.

so i changed my thermostat this weekend, and when i drive it say from home to work it leaks when i park.  Is there a gasket or something that needs to go over it?  I compared it with the stock one and they both appear to be the same....

Well took the 160 off, and it was metal to metal :banghead: , i did a charlie. So I took the stock gasket off and put it on the 160. hooked her back up. I didnt drive her yet as i carpooled today so when i get home, ill take her for a spin and see if it leaks again. My feeling is that it wont. Its been kinda neat to actually see the thermostat work, my gauge used to hang out at the 210 mark, but is now about the 175ish mark. I just like seeing the engine cooler :ughdance:

Well took the 160 off, and it was metal to metal  :banghead: , i did a charlie.  So I took the stock gasket off and put it on the 160.  hooked her back up.  I didnt drive her yet as i carpooled today so when i get home, ill take her for a spin and see if it leaks again.  My feeling is that it wont.  Its been kinda neat to actually see the thermostat work, my gauge used to hang out at the 210 mark, but is now about the 175ish mark.  I just like seeing the engine cooler  :ughdance:

03's should have an o-ring groove cut into them -- not really metal to metal. I pinched that o-ring reinstalling mine. It helps to coat the bastard in silicon grease (then the o-ring sticks in place).

Well took the 160 off, and it was metal to metal  :banghead: , i did a charlie.  So I took the stock gasket off and put it on the 160.  hooked her back up.  I didnt drive her yet as i carpooled today so when i get home, ill take her for a spin and see if it leaks again.  My feeling is that it wont.  Its been kinda neat to actually see the thermostat work, my gauge used to hang out at the 210 mark, but is now about the 175ish mark.  I just like seeing the engine cooler  :ughdance:

03's should have an o-ring groove cut into them -- not really metal to metal. I pinched that o-ring reinstalling mine. It helps to coat the bastard in silicon grease (then the o-ring sticks in place).

yeah you could say there is an o-ring groove, but that is metal, so hence the metal to metal. Thanks for that recommendation though, you were right about using the rubber :jester:

Archived