How to: install tbss airbag mod

Akslowroller

After purchasing my airbag

post-24220-137438837613_thumb.jpg

I called my friend who is a body man. Asked him to help with the install. He gave a few very simple instructions over the phone and ten minutes later it was installed.

Step one disconnect your battery

post-24220-137438845745_thumb.jpg

Once disconnected there are two hole on your steering wheel. One on each side.

post-24220-137438850415_thumb.jpg

You will need a small screw driver. Push it in and it will release the tabs inside. You will notice the airbag pop out a little. Repeat the step for the other side and it will come right out.

post-24220-137438860683_thumb.jpg

Next the two electrical plugs shown above, you will need to squeeze the sides and pull them strait out. They are color codes and the same on the tbss airbag. Can't really mess it up.

Once you have removed the old airbag just reinstall and your good to go. The tabs you unlocked will just lock on to the new airbag so no worries.

post-24220-137438878041_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps anyone that plans on doing this. Couldn't find a write up so I figured I would share my experience with it.

Thanks bro I heard it was super easy to do but there is nothing like a write up to back you up in case of any questions, plus you know what the say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

This is my first write up. I hope it was easy to follow and man it was so easy. I was told the most important step is disconnecting the battery. You could get hurt. Lol but I hope this helps anyone who wants to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This is my first write up. I hope it was easy to follow and man it was so easy. I was told the most important step is disconnecting the battery. You could get hurt. Lol but I hope this helps anyone who wants to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

that's correct I was told even if you disconnect the battery you should wait a little while for the charge to dissipate from what I am not sure.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Haha good write up Harley! Looks good!

Yeah. At the dealership we are encouraged to disconnect the battery 20 minutes before repairing any airbag related component/circuit. This allows the capacitor in the airbag to completely discharge. I usually just disconnect the battery and go right to work, but its a risk you take. If you happen to do anything during a repair that could cause the airbag to deploy, there's no stopping it if the capacitor still has a charge. it's never happened to me, but that would sure suck to be installing an airbag and have it deploy right in your face.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

I never even disconnect the battery. I diagnosed a cruise issue in my cobalt once while driving and took the bag off. Dangerous is my middle name.

actually its joseph

• 3 weeks later...

I never even disconnect the battery. I diagnosed a cruise issue in my cobalt once while driving and took the bag off. Dangerous is my middle name.

actually its joseph

:crackup: :crackup: best post of the week here! lol