Ray's Custom Radix Spacer

jeez at the rate you are going I will have mine ordered and installed before you. Sorry you have to miss out on the festivities and the fun of installing your spacer. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Me too

Haha well if you guys can have them installed by NEXT weekend, then post your results. If not, im sure ill have an update for you guys by then. Sorry again for the wait.

hell man I wish I had a spacer to try and install.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the spacer in! Ill head out tomorrow and get some logs.. Well, here's the install!

Before the install. Went ahead and took the grille off so i wouldnt risk damaging it.

24_zps34cc5108.jpg

Pulled the alternator, unplugged injectors and fuel lines, evap hose and other coolant/vacuum hoses...

25_zpsa2373345.jpg

If you dont have wobblie sockets, definitely invest in some. For those that have installed/removed a radix, you know the passenger rear bolts can be a huge pain. Having the right tools makes this job a lot easier.

26_zps2fdab6f6.jpg

After the intake bolts are loosened, out comes the Radix

27_zps39ef6a8d.jpg

28_zps78aff62d.jpg

29_zps807e840b.jpg

Take the remaining bolts loose from the upper head assembly and fuel rails, then pull the upper head assembly off.

Inspect the outside gasket and o-rings.

30_zps1f034c2f.jpg

31_zps62927da3.jpg

32_zpsbb5f6ca3.jpg

Apply an RTV silicone such as this, to ensure a perfect seal.. Any leaks will cause an unmetered air leak causing a lean condition.

35_zps64a6559c.jpg

34_zpsaf2082b6.jpg

Be sure to take a lunch break! Lol.

33_zps4ff11bff.jpg

Set the spacer on top, using the bolts to keep the spacer properly aligned while its seated onto the lower intake.

Put new o-rings and run a new outside gasket in the spacer, trimming the off the excess..

36_zpsf731c29e.jpg

Lay another coat of the RTV on the spacer, making sure to cover the meeting point of the outside gasket

37_zps783d5507.jpg

52_zps3cc65932.jpg

Put the upper head unit onto the spacer. In order to install the provided longer intake bolts, the J-tube will have to be removed.

This is easily done by removing the 4 bolts on the rear and using a spatula or gasket scraper to split the j-tube from the head unit.

51_zps4a19ba8e.jpg

49_zps5658c54b.jpg

After the Radix is all bolted back together, the fuel rails can be put back on. If running 60# injectors and using fuel rail spacers, they will no longer be neccessary.. Or atleast, you wont have to use as big of spacers.

Here's what i was using...

38_zpsa45aeadb.jpg

And what im using now..

47_zps7bf75659.jpg

You could probably get away with not using any spacers, but i wanted the rails to be as close to 90 degrees as possible.

46_zps580dd272.jpg

43_zps3b3797f0.jpg

You'll also need to get shorter bolts (if you were running longer ones for taller injectors)

45_zpsfaeb152b.jpg

In order to reinstall the radix, the accessory drive brackets will need to be loosened and pulled forward. Otherwise the supercharger will not be able to seat fully on the valley. After the radix is seated, retighten the accessory drive.

42_zps99d0102d.jpg

Torque spec of intake bolts. Be very careful not to overtighten and pull the threads from the cylinder head. This is very easy with aluminum heads like ours, and they dont need much torque to fully seat.

41_zpsb8c4acad.jpg

Pic of the spacer installed

40_zps9464b1dd.jpg

The clearance to the firewall will be less, which is no big deal. BUT, other modifications will need to be done to compensate for the 1" raise...

44_zps10cee0f6.jpg

The slots in the nose support will have to be routed down further so the support bracket will be able to slide up to the bottom of the nose. Without expanding the guide slots, there will be a 1" gap between the nose and support. Also, i had to go to the loosest setting on my HD belt tensioner in order to compensate for the extra inch the supercharger pulley raised. Im not sure if you'll need a longer belt if you dont have an adjustable belt tensioner..

50_zps12604a3a.jpg

48_zpse0f170c8.jpg

Well, thats it for now. Sorry it took so long. During my drive to the shop, i had IATs about 60 degrees over ambient, which isnt nearly as bad as ive seen. On certain occasions ive had 150 degree IATs in 85 degree weather.

On the way home, it never broke 25 degrees over ambient. So far, so good. Ill get actual logs tomorrow and get specific results. I already took a pre-install log too so i can compare before and after. But so far, it seems to be more responsive with lower IATs! Looks promising! :thumbs:

2_zps57af6391.jpg

3_zpsf45c6bbf.jpg

:peelout: :peelout: :peelout: :peelout: :peelout: :peelout: :peelout: :peelout: :peelout:

Yeah i wasnt able to take as much time on this as i wanted. I wanted to properly route wires/hoses and repaint the blower. If i can afford to go a few days without the truck, iwanna take it to get it powdercoated. That'll look loads better.

Also, for those who plan on doing this, it wouldnt hurt to order a new set of intake manifold gaskets from Magnacharger. I THINK a 2004 Z06 gasket set will work as well, and the set of 8 is only like $25 at Schucks, rather than the $100 that Magnacharger will want.

I have yet to see any IATs >25 degrees over ambient temp. Looks like its definitely helping. Ill ride it hard later and see if i can feel a difference at WOT. Too bad AK doesnt have a dyno so i could get some hard numbers for you guys.

Awesome job , glad to hear its working.Did you pull the Maggie yourself? Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Well, i did all the work myself if thats what you mean. But physically, its a bit heavy and awkward, so if you can, have a friend help you lift it out and put it back in.

Looks good and great job on the install! That is great to see your IAT's down to a reasonable level just by adding the spacer. Let us know if you can feel a difference! :peelout:

Haha thanks Matt. Its far from as clean as your install would have been!!! Lol. Your work is always show quality. Im definitely gonna get your help with a wire tuck one of these days...

Well, it seems to have held up to my expectations. I ripped the piss out of it yesterday with several WOT runs, and i have yet to see any IATs higher than 27degrees over ambient. And that was my highest! IATs like to stay around 20degrees over ambient when cruising, which is great! This is a huge improvement to the 60+ degrees over ambient IATs that myself and others were seeing before. I definitely approve and think every maggie should have one :thumbs:

Well, i did all the work myself if thats what you mean. But physically, its a bit heavy and awkward, so if you can, have a friend help you lift it out and put it back in.

Haha thanks Matt. Its far from as clean as your install would have been!!! Lol. Your work is always show quality. Im definitely gonna get your help with a wire tuck one of these days...

Well, it seems to have held up to my expectations. I ripped the piss out of it yesterday with several WOT runs, and i have yet to see any IATs higher than 27degrees over ambient. And that was my highest! IATs like to stay around 20degrees over ambient when cruising, which is great! This is a huge improvement to the 60+ degrees over ambient IATs that myself and others were seeing before. I definitely approve and think every maggie should have one :thumbs:

So are you running meth as well or are those IAT's just the spacer at work?