Link2603

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I changed my oil the other day and cut open my oil filter like i always do ( i got this little tool that cuts one open in about 5 secs) and I saw bearing material in it. So I just pulled the engine out to take a look at the damage. Number 3 bearing was shot so was number 2 with a little bit of rubbing on number 4 bearing. Rod bearings and cam bearing looked really good besides the noticeable trash that went through them when the other bearings went out. I'm still trying to figure out with caused only those bearing to go out and not the two end ones. I think my crankshaft was flexing. All my tolerances checked out when i put the crank in. All the damage was done to the bottom side of the bearings. I also never lost oil pressure. Right now I'm just weighing out my options. So really the 408 is a maybe right now. I have to get the wife on board and she doesn't exactly like my truck right now lol.

Dang it!! That sucks! What were your bearing clearances when you assembled the crank? Did you have an aftermarket forged crank? Kind of curious, because don't some aftermarket cranks have the oil ports opened up on the mains?

Well if you do go forward with the 408 it will be a fun build. I am just finally getting ready to assemble my 408 and hope to have it back into the truck by June 1.

This was with the stock crankshaft using the standard p series clevite bearings. The crank and block were checked prior to assembly. The bearing clearance was within allowable tolerances witch I can't remember of the top of my head. I ll have to look in my little build book I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well guys I haven't posted on this in awhile because I was having trouble with my IAT temps getting out of control. The last pass I made was 11.4 at 121 but my IAT reached 190 degrees by the end of the pass!! It cut my timing back to 6 degrees at that air temp. This was on 17 psi pass and a 70 degree day! Thank god for e85. I've discovered my intercooler was not up to par (cheap cx racing intercooler that cost me 180$ lol). I purchased a treadstone trttc9 intercooler and it has been a night and day difference so far but I haven't made a full 1/4 pass yet. I also got some new shoes for the truck because the nitto's I had were about 5 years old and they weren't able to hold any type of boost launching at all. I'm able to do 6-7 psi launch on these hankooks I got now. Hopefully here pretty soon I can make a 10 sec pass that I've wanted for awhile now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any updates on this?

I made 2 passes about a month or so ago and the Truck went 11.1 at 122. This was on about 18 psi. I think I'm going to turn it up to around 23 psi and see what happens. The motor/stock tranny and drive train run flawlessly. I've had no issues with anything really other then an oil pan leak which was my fault. I don't get to play with it much since I'm having to work so much now days. I only get to drive it maybe 1 or 2 times a month and that's just for date night with the wife. I went almost a year without it so I'm in no hurry to push it to the max and risk blowing it up. I just want to enjoy it for a bit lol. I do want to run in the 10's just once because so few of us have done it. This winter I'm going to upgrade the turbos to something nicer,but I Haven't decided which ones I'm going to go with yet.

Interesting. I hope I don't have to go to 18psi to get low 11's. I have had mine running for about 3 weeks. I really haven't had crap for time to get it tuned. Zippy has been helping me with the tuning. I made it down to the track with NO real tuning done and ran the truck at 3-4psi. It wouldn't build boost off the line, and it was shutting down in 3rd gear. LOL! ran a 13.5. After getting the bugs worked out, and I have to boost up to about 6-7psi it now feels about like my old setup did at 14 psi. I am hoping to see low 11's at 14-15psi. The 408 definitely pulls hard!

How are you running 18psi? E-85? Race gas? Pump and Meth? Just curious. I only have access to 90octane and I have a good supply of Meth. So that is my venue. I am hoping I can run 90 and meth up to 15 psi. Then use Race gas for anything higher than that at the track.

Interesting. I hope I don't have to go to 18psi to get low 11's. I have had mine running for about 3 weeks. I really haven't had crap for time to get it tuned. Zippy has been helping me with the tuning. I made it down to the track with NO real tuning done and ran the truck at 3-4psi. It wouldn't build boost off the line, and it was shutting down in 3rd gear. LOL! ran a 13.5. After getting the bugs worked out, and I have to boost up to about 6-7psi it now feels about like my old setup did at 14 psi. I am hoping to see low 11's at 14-15psi. The 408 definitely pulls hard!

How are you running 18psi? E-85? Race gas? Pump and Meth? Just curious. I only have access to 90octane and I have a good supply of Meth. So that is my venue. I am hoping I can run 90 and meth up to 15 psi. Then use Race gas for anything higher than that at the track.

I run E-85. I like E-85 but the only problem now days is that the nearest E-85 station to me stop selling it, so now I have to drive 30 mins to get it which kinda sucks. I bet you can hit low 11's with 14-15 psi. If i had a set of drag radials I bet I could sneak into the 10's as my truck is. I used Zippy at the beginning to get everything set up for me, but after the first few retunes from him and watching everything he changed and then researching why he changed what he did I figured out that I could tune my truck on my own. Do you have Hydroboost on your truck? Before I put hydroboost on my truck I could never really build boost off the line. I can launch now on 8 psi but i just spin out if do that lol.