looking at stall converters

Adding to what I have above, you cant rely on someone on here to tell you what stall speed to get. Everyone is different, everyone uses their truck differently, and everyone lives in different areas of the country.

You need to decide on what you want to use the truck for and how then go from there. Dont start with a 1/4 mile time goal. In my opinion thats the worst thing someone can do with these trucks. I cant count how many guys I have seen on here get butt hurt cause of that. Also dont start with engine mods such as cam or heads. You are getting to many factors in the mix with that. Pick a stall speed you think YOU will like then go from there. Get it done, drive it, and respond with your reviews. Then build on that from there.

Adding to what I have above, you cant rely on someone on here to tell you what stall speed to get. Everyone is different, everyone uses their truck differently, and everyone lives in different areas of the country.

You need to decide on what you want to use the truck for and how then go from there. Dont start with a 1/4 mile time goal. In my opinion thats the worst thing someone can do with these trucks. I cant count how many guys I have seen on here get butt hurt cause of that. Also dont start with engine mods such as cam or heads. You are getting to many factors in the mix with that. Pick a stall speed you think YOU will like then go from there. Get it done, drive it, and respond with your reviews. Then build on that from there.

exactly this is the reason im concidering a smaller stall i drive my truck daily all my driving is done in city below 45 i have never towed yet so looseing some towing capibalitys isnt a huge deal... when i buy my stall i do plan on installing before i put the cam in unless i end up with a bigger stall that would be to much for the stock motor

Good advise Brian. That's about as cut and dry that you can get. If you can find someone close that has one of out trucks with a stall drive it and see. Brian actually told me to go bigger and I prob should have went 3600. But I didn't so my 60ft time suffers at the track. It's not bad but I'd love for it to have been faster. I wanted a fast street truck and I'm pretty happy with it.

exactly this is the reason im concidering a smaller stall i drive my truck daily all my driving is done in city below 45 i have never towed yet so looseing some towing capibalitys isnt a huge deal... when i buy my stall i do plan on installing before i put the cam in unless i end up with a bigger stall that would be to much for the stock motor

Find the stall speed you are comfortable with and if you want to do cam and/or heads match them to the converter you are comfortable with. You will have the best results that way. Unfortunatly I dont think you will get your track time goals but again I think thats what worst way to go about a build.

As far as to much stall for a stock engine, 3200-3400 would still net an improved 60ft for sure.

As far as to much stall for a stock engine, 3200-3400 would still net an improved 60ft for sure.

really?what would the driveablity b like? my main concern is all the vid i see really beside the one you posted (of 1/4 throttle i seen yours shifted at like 2500ish coming out your driveway)the rmp's match the speed meaning the needles on the gauge accelerate the same and dont seem to upshift untill you let off gas or it reaches its stall point and im not sure if it caused by they way that person drives or if its caused by the stall?...idk if that makes sence?

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

So its OK to stall before can and heads are done?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Absolutely

See thats my point im trying to come across here. Everyone always thinks "oh need to do stuff to the engine to go faster" Well, thats not always the case. These are heavy trucks and you have to get them moving. Getting the engine RPM in the engines power band RIGHT NOW is the key to get something this heavy moving. Therfor, when you get it moving quicker that is your seat of the pants performance you get.

If you swap camshafts, all you are doing is moving the engines power band higher because you are changing lift, duration, lobe seperation, overlap, ect. Btw, the choppy sound you here is overlap of the valves. With heads, yes you are moving more air in and out of the cylinders that still isnt going to net you seat of the pants performance as getting the stall speed right.

really?what would the driveablity b like? my main concern is all the vid i see really beside the one you posted (of 1/4 throttle i seen yours shifted at like 2500ish coming out your driveway)the rmp's match the speed meaning the needles on the gauge accelerate the same and dont seem to upshift untill you let off gas or it reaches its stall point and im not sure if it caused by they way that person drives or if its caused by the stall?...idk if that makes sence?

Really

Again, you are asking a question that is mostly opinionated. One stall speed might be comfortable for one but the other not at all.

Modding is trial and error a lot of times man. It just is what it is. Get a 3200 stall speed and see how you like it. Im gonna bet you will

This is true. I'd also say 3200. It's a happy medium. A 3600 prob get you closer to match up to your cam. Like Brian said its all about the Sweet Spot lol.

i started with a quarter mile goal. if not that then you need a hp goal. What other reason is there to mod? If you say you want a fast street truck...you have to define "fast" in either 1/4 mile, 0-60 or HP. pick something and go for it. if its a show truck with tons of hp never used....then i don't get it.

I'm thinking 12's is not the goal you want. Nothing about my truck bothers me, but you have to live with things if you want to hit a hard goal. Live with the stall speed and learn to drive it, live with the city MPG, its all effects of the goal you want.

i think i paid close to a grand for my circle d, are you guys looking at single disks......

i should try to get a vid of my truck just driving around, maybe its me just knowing this is what i needed to hit my goals, but its not bad. I'm driving a 4500.....and it ain't bad. Yeah, under normal driving my trans acts like a cvt, the motor will stay at 3000 and shift through all the gears and never drop rpm...but it doesn't effect the driveablitly of the truck.

you guys gotta make it out here for some racing and dyno runs and i'll show you first hand a high stall isn't bad, once your used to it

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)