looking at stall converters

There's a video with a yank converter in a trans am or firebird on you tube its not an ss but still a 4l60 and LS motor if you wanna see how a yank performed kinda helped me on my choice

you got a video of your truck?

Yeah I know that's true but the video I watched was pointed at the tach and showed how the converter performed under normal driving and then stuffing it right to 3200 then back to cruising at 1000 to 1500 it was good to see how the converter itself performed car verse truck would be different but mainly if you were in the car or truck itself

Right now I'm on a circle d band wagon. Chris was awesome to talk to, even answered emails on a sunday. When I told him I was going to try to break his converter...he literary said...bring it. I had bad luck with pi hitting their stall speed, but it held up to my power at that time. My tcs out of Canada was a god awful violent converter that pulled incredible 60 foot times....it ment business but sent its guts through my trans and cooler, scrapping the cooler and doing $800 damage to the trans. Their customer service kinda sucked. Back when I started yank had a lot of problems, which is why you don't see a lot of the older guys running them, but I can't speak for now of from personal experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

circle d seems to be the best bang for the buck. I found the PATC manga raptor 1 converter which seem to be a very good price for it being built with billet internals and can handle way more power then what i plan...yank is a lil to spendy for me...I see FTL product on here often do they offer a converter? Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

What's the benefits in size I see some 9.5"/10"/11" converter but all still have same available stall...like so in link ones a 9 3/4"other a 10 1/4" same price how do you know what's better suited?

https://www.circledspecialties.com/c-121-pro-series-multi-disk.aspx

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

Did you talk to mr Kelley he tuned your truck he can tell you what would work best for your truck

lil sent him a message the other day....but when he did my tune I gave him a basic run down of my build needs/goals and I told him that I was planning on a bigger stall 3400-3600 like everybody keeps recommending but he thinks that I might not like that high of stall cause my need as a DD. he agrees that stall would be accurate. Just don't think at this point I'd like in my only vehicle....yes I could get used to it if it was a lil lower or perfect match. but if its guna be over kill and to much stall then screwed cause I won't have time or $$$ to be testing stalls....that why I'm taking alot more consideration into a smaller stall Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

I was told 3200 was ok for a daily driver. I don't have a video I dropped it off to get tuned for the arh LT when I get it back Saturday ill try and find a spot to take a video for ya. its a SS3200 yank they said I would lose a little towing but I only tow a jet ski so it didn't matter to me

circle d seems to be the best bang for the buck. I found the PATC manga raptor 1 converter which seem to be a very good price for it being built with billet internals and can handle way more power then what i plan...yank is a lil to spendy for me...I see FTL product on here often do they offer a converter?

thats a good choice, I personally never had one but have friends who do and never heard anything bad about them, when I get mine it will come down to the Yank or Circle D myself!

thats a good choice, I personally never had one but have friends who do and never heard anything bad about them, when I get mine it will come down to the Yank or Circle D myself!

i agree two very good choices

I ran up on a couple old vids I took when I was selling my truck. Ol boy that bought it wanted a few

Here it is cruising and 1/4 throttle

th_MOV03262_zpsca320d2a.jpg

And heres one WOT. If I remember right this was the first WOT I took while I was tuning after the blower install

th_MOV03186.jpg

What's the benefits in size I see some 9.5"/10"/11" converter but all still have same available stall...like so in link ones a 9 3/4"other a 10 1/4" same price how do you know what's better suited?

https://www.circledspecialties.com/c-121-pro-series-multi-disk.aspx

brian can you explain to me the different benfits in these converters link above i seen this quite abit different size convertes same stall speed options,same price, built pretty close to the same as far i know but what makes one better suited that the other?

brian can you explain to me the different benfits in these converters link above i seen this quite abit different size convertes same stall speed options,same price, built pretty close to the same as far i know but what makes one better suited that the other?

Maybe someone can explain it a little better than me but basically, the smaller the converter, the less fluid has to be pumped through it. Less fluid means less drag on the converter internals, which allows it to stall at higher speeds. In general, you want to avoid small converters on a typical street car due to the much higher stall speeds but that depends on what you are using the car/truck for

I know you are stuck as to what stall speed you want because you dont want something to radical but you dont want something thats not gonna get you closer to your goals. To be honest, with your goal you want I dont think you will get there with a mild stall speed. I think you will like it because you have never drove a vehicle with a higher stall speed than factory and it will be a big seat of the pants difference. But I think once you start going for your 60 ft and 1/4 mile times I think you will be disapointed. These trucks are just too damn heavy to get moving without a higher stall speed to get in the power band. Then when you change camshafts, you raise that power band which in turn you need a higher stall speed to get in it to keep the truck moving forward. Thats what a lot of people on here dont understand about cam swaps. I get the feeling they see youtube videos of the choppy sound and rave how great it is..but dont understand the concept of a camshaft and how it works in relation to weight of the vehicle and how it is setup to reap the benefits. With that said, im not saying a cam swap is a waste of money with these trucks at all. But there are a lot of factors in the mix other than sticking a new one in and reflashing with a mail order tune.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)