Cammed the SS

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a big cam. My definition of big cam doesn't come close to a 3200 stall

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

i liked thatguycruz 228r cam but I'm not sure if that's gonna be the cam size I'm going with

Thanks guys.. sounds like that will be the one.. My understanding is you can get those used right?

yup you can get them over on PT.net. but make sure you send it to circle D to be cleaned. whoever you buy it from couldve blown up their trans and it could be full of crap.

228 is getting big but not outta the question. Pretty popular on here. You really don't need a 228 to get real fast, just do everything right and match the stall. I went 12.8s on a 224 cam because I....well I slightly over did the stall, but I gave it what it wanted. Hard to beat a 224 cam and a 3600 stall, I lost a couple highway races but don't think anyone ever took from stoplight to stoplight. I turned my fastest 60' to date with the truck intake and that 224 cam.

yup you can get them over on PT.net. but make sure you send it to circle D to be cleaned. whoever you buy it from couldve blown up their trans and it could be full of crap.

This, always send it in and have it checked unless you know the seller. I also prefer the triple disk converters so you can lock it on the dyno and track and have no fears.

I love my cam. I have yet to be beat off the line at the track or on the road. I only have a 3k for my stall but I'm pulled some 1.86's 60ft which isn't to shabby.

Ok thanks for the info to be honest we haven't really talked about size yet just about putting a bigger cam in along with push rods,modified oil pump,c5r timing gear and chain, valve seals, high rev valve springs, and he ports the throttle body and installs a new flap along with a new tune for a little under 2000.00 parts and labor. But I kinda want a set of heads to really open up the stock block but funds may not allow the heads this summer.

Ok thanks for the info to be honest we haven't really talked about size yet just about putting a bigger cam in along with push rods,modified oil pump,c5r timing gear and chain, valve seals, high rev valve springs, and he ports the throttle body and installs a new flap along with a new tune for a little under 2000.00 parts and labor. But I kinda want a set of heads to really open up the stock block but funds may not allow the heads this summer.

Don't need the oil pump, another bandwagon. Just adds more parasitic loss. If it has the name c5r in the title odds are you can't afford it. Ls2 stuff will work fine, although I don't know why or how the c5r chain is different, if it costs more, use the ls2. I would do the heads the same time as the cam and forget the converter until you recover the funds. Do the heads the same time as the cam, just works together, pulling the trans doesn't help do a cam. You can replace the lifter trays with ls2, use a thinner head gasket, depending on chamber size, and replace the stock lifters, which at least in my small opinion should be done. You can use the ls7 lifters, which I think zippy said are standard issue now a days, or the cts-vr lifters which are ment for sustained rpm(what I originally used), or the morel drop in lifters if your serous about having the best(what I now use since i noticed a stress point and cracks in my cts-vr lifters). What heads to use is another essay

I love my cam. I have yet to be beat off the line at the track or on the road. I only have a 3k for my stall but I'm pulled some 1.86's 60ft which isn't to shabby.

Although are set ups where a little different, just to show what a converter can do, with a 3800 tcs stall(the tcs out of Canada), I pulled 3 60' times in the 1.6s, best was a 1.633. But that converter was violent, it was chases old converter restalled for my truck, but at the time he ran his best 60 foot on it as well. To bad we both eventually blew it up.....

Yeah that's a great 60ft time. I wanted to go a little bigger but was kinda scared about drivability. I DD my truck and half my drive in the am is 35mph. I'd really have liked a 34 or 3600. But I'm happy with it for know. Hope to do some 243's in a couple months.