Upgraded My Transmission Cooler to a B&M 70274

Well yesterday I upgraded my transmission cooler to the B&M 70274 "Supercooler" after finding a thread by dcairns from 2005 when he installed his so I figured I would report my findings! Surprisingly almost 8 years latery they still make the same part number so I purchased it off Amazon.com and bought the fittings required to connect it to the factory lines from the local parker store. It uses 1/2" NPT so I had to convert down to 3/8 swedgelok fittings to connect to the steel lines. I hard plumbed it just as dcairns did as well. As far as mounting it was very simple. I drilled some holes through the factory lower bar and the cooler brackets and used 1" spacer to space it off the angle piece without having to flip the factory lower bar. Then I cutout a aluminum strip and bolted that on for the upper mount again using 1" spacers and 1/4"x1 1/2" bolts and nuts to attach the cooler. Overall a easy install since I gathered all the parts before attempting it, anyways heres the pics!

20130605_182823Large_zps58aa63ad.jpg

Original tiny cooler....

20130605_183008Large_zpsfa1d3135.jpg

20130604_210418Large_zpsf7a05e7f.jpg

New transmission cooler, its 11x11x1 1/2" so its a much much bigger cooler rated at 29,200 BTU

20130605_231624Large_zps48acfdf6.jpg

After install

20130605_231632Large_zps5ef721eb.jpg

20130605_231646Large_zpsfc756c25.jpg

20130605_231654Large_zps2c76e6ba.jpg

20130605_231330Large_zps238300ce.jpg

Finished!

Before the install my trans temps easilly where hitting right over the middle mark which is about 200 degrees or so in 65-70 degree weather which seems hot for just regular driving and they would climb with any towing or hard driving.

Now they seem to be much more controlled and stay a a lower level at all times I will report back and edit this once I do some driving today and commute home tonight.

Lol. Typical Matt. Make us amateurs look bad. I'm just impressed that you took the time to bend the hard lines and flare the ends and all! Very nicely done.

Thanks guys I'm happy with it for sure, today driving around with the Ac on and outside temps around 70 degrees the trans temp never even moved past 140-160 degrees from what I could tell! That is exactly the results I wanted to achieve, normally with the original cooler it would get right to about 200 or more depending.

Lol. Typical Matt. Make us amateurs look bad. I'm just impressed that you took the time to bend the hard lines and flare the ends and all! Very nicely done.

Haha you guys are no amateurs! I definitely wanted hard lines so that I don't get stranded with a blown off hose on my transmission cooler! The lines where easy to connect up with a small pipe cutter and the self flaring fittings I got.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand why my tranny never gets over 200' and I have the stock cooler I think?????? My tranny sits at 175-190' at minnesota temps from 75-90' in the summer... The only time I ever seen 200'+ was when I was rolling in Duluth MN up and down the steep hills liberally giving the gas LOL.... Plus my Alto clutches are good at temps up to 240'

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)