LT1 A4 Z28(stock) vs Sleeper Truck(not stock)

NW-99SS

Alright, let's start by saying that I knew this wouldn't be a real race or contest, but anyway...

Leading up to the highway run in Mexico....

I am at a gas station with a buddy and notice a very clean 95 or 96 Camaro Z28 at the pumps. Notice an older gentleman filling up the car as I walk inside. At the counter I see him paying for gas at which point I compliment him on his Camaro and ask him if he has had it since new.

Me: Very nice, clean Camaro you have! Did you purchase it new?

Him: No, I bought it last year, it's a US car.

Me: Well it looks to be in great shape, nice Corvette wheels as well (they are the '98 chrome vette wheels I hate, but I'm not one to knock on a guy's car). What year is it?

Him: I think it's an '87 or '88.

Me: (Bewildered look on my face) I'm pretty sure that's a '95 or '96 Camaro with an LT1. Auto or Manual?

Him: Oh I have no idea what year it is, and it's an auto.

End conversation - didn't want to go any further if you own a Camaro but don't know the difference between an '87 IROC and a '96 Z28.

He leaves the store and I load up in the truck with my buddy. We cruise through town on our way to the nearest 4 lane highway. Sure enough, the Z28 is in front of us about 600 feet or so and turns in the same direction we are headed. I remark to my friend, "bet he get's on it to show his passenger what his Camaro can do." Being my buddies first ride in my truck, I was going to do the same.

The highway roll. Old man Z28 turns onto highway some 500 feet before I get a chance to make my right turn on the highway. I notice him accelerate fairly quickly, but not WOT at this point. I turn on the highway and do the same and get the SSS in second gear. At this point he notices me behind him (not gaining at this point) and goes WOT and stays in it. I'm about 6+ cars back at this point and go WOT as well at around 40mph. We close the gap by 80 and pass the Z28 and stay in it until 115 with about 4 or 5 cars on the Z28 by now. Slow down to 75 and set the cruise. Old man Z28 settles in behind me, but won't come up beside.

Was a fun run, but I knew the outcome. My buddy was very surprised, lol. Sorry for the puppy kick, but it's hard to get a clean run around here. And I knew the older gentleman wouldn't know proper highway roll race etiquette anyway. Besides, he had a major advantage in this one, just didn't expect the outcome I'm sure.

Cliff notes: 408 MP122 SSS takes down 96 Z28 A4 stock.

That's funny as hell. I bet that old fella was like WTF when u went by lol

I was thinking the same thing after. I'm sure he was trying to "show off" to his passenger, until the big black SSS blew by him. Add to that the passenger side exit Corsa exhaust from the 408 w/o Cats at WOT - can only imagine how loud that must have been...

That is awesome! NIce kill!

Thanks! :cheers: It was fun just to do the highway pull with my friend, glad the Camaro was around to give him an impression of just how quick the truck is.