243 or 317 heads?

Im looking for some 243's as well if anyone knows someone trying to get rid of them. Those suckers are hard to come by.

And remember if you get them milled you need new push rods too. Just something to ponder on while youre thinking about it.

If I got the 243 heads, how much do I need to have milled off to fit the 6.0? I have heard any where between .25-.30".

you dont need to have them milled in order to fit if thats what youre asking bro, but you could get them milled to boost up your compression. The most I would go is .030".

You don't need to deck the 243 heads at all, they already have a 65cc chamber which will raise your compression over our stock 71cc heads.

If you deck another .030 off your looking at about another 6cc off the heads bringing you into 5.3l head territory. Unless your chasing max hp with a larger cam just leave the deck alone. Personally I wouldn't waste the time changing heads with out having them ported by a reputable ls shop. But to each their own.

That cam is to small IMO to be worth the time and money involved. But with emissions and your personal opinion....to each their own.

You can also look into 799 heads. They are 243 copies from a different foundry and have a rougher casting but are otherwise the same and go for less money

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

Knowing how difficult it can be to get past emissions I say go for it. There is a side note to that though and that is they will only be worth doing if you are doing the labor yourself. The gain will be there, but not a huge gain. It will be a decent gain for the $700 or so you'll have in them with gaskets and fluids as long as labor isn't in there. If you are paying for labor along with it then I would say don't do it unless they are ported. The downside to ported 243's is that they cost about as much as a good aftermarket head.

The labor would not be done by me. The price quotes I am getting back to do a cam swap head swap and TBSS intake installed are out of this world, and that's with me supplying all the parts. I might be reconsidering my plans. I am being quoted 3000 just to install the cam...Stupid California and your high prices for everything except slurpees...

Holy crap that is rediculous. You need to meet up with some guys from this site and find a better solution to a shop or having one of them do it for you. I know a few guys from Cali that could do the job for way less than that. If you are paying for the install I would really be a bit more picky on the parts you put in there. Call me if you have some time and I can go over your best options for it.

The labor would not be done by me. The price quotes I am getting back to do a cam swap head swap and TBSS intake installed are out of this world, and that's with me supplying all the parts. I might be reconsidering my plans. I am being quoted 3000 just to install the cam...Stupid California and your high prices for everything except slurpees...

3 words...cam install party.

You just need a few things

1. Location

2. Helpers

3. Beer/pizza

4. A date to do the work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Edited by kissfans03ss (see edit history)

You don't have to do any machine work on them to make them fit. And those are not 243 heads.

Those are most likely 706 or 862 based on the cc size

Those are 5.3 heads. 61cc

ls6 = sodium filled valves 243

ls2= regular valved 243

799 also same as 243 ls2 but rougher casting from what i know

have to know the year of the 5.7 to make sure they are not like a 241 casting number or something like that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

An install party might be the way to go it sounds like. I have not met anyone from the site yet. I am still hunting around for some heads, if I even go that route. I would like to go with a cam, springs, push rods, maybe LS2 timing chain, and my TBSS intake and ported throttle body. I am still leaning towards the XR265HR, just not sure what the real difference is between the high lift and low lift versions. It sounds like from what I have read it will be the best for what I am looking for (DD friendly, can pass SMOG) and the trans work I have had done already.