Truck Tries to Start when key is Turn to "ON"??

BlueAKSSS

Mine was almost the same prob. I changed the switch and put a new starter on and that cured it

I wish it was that simple! My starter seems to be working great and I changed the ignition switch with no cure.

How do these systems work? On older vehicles it would HAVE to be that switch but I know some vehicles work kinda backwards. I remember a Pontiac of some sort had something like 2 relays and if you cut power to both the car starts or something goofy like that. This was when I was going to train to be an audio/alarm installer. I'm really interested in what could be causing this. Has to be faulty bcm or something like that.

How do these systems work? On older vehicles it would HAVE to be that switch but I know some vehicles work kinda backwards. I remember a Pontiac of some sort had something like 2 relays and if you cut power to both the car starts or something goofy like that. This was when I was going to train to be an audio/alarm installer. I'm really interested in what could be causing this. Has to be faulty bcm or something like that.

The dealer told me that the key sends a signal to the BCM then the BCM interprets it then triggers the relay to start the truck. It listens for a signal from the knock sensors to know if the engine is running or not. If the BCM has funky power going to it or faults it can do weird things like what my truck is doing.

So to add to this I completely disconnected all the plugs on my underhood fuse block, checked all the fuses and cleaned everything with contact cleaner. Still has the same problem...

Let me ask around the dealership and see what others think..

Let me know if you find anything out, this problem is driving me nuts! Haha, thinking about going out to the junkyard and finding a different underhood fuse block in case mine is not making some connections its suppose to be making.

*UPDATE! Yesterday I cleaned the fuse block extensively with contact cleaner, compressed air and pretty much found nothing but some dirt. Put everything back together and it still was not fixed still tried to run the starter when on the ignition on position as before. Today I started the truck and didn't check to see if it was still trying to run the starter. Later on I tried it after leaving my final test and work and the problem has corrected itself?? This has to be one of the most craziest problems I have experienced with this truck, I'm just glad it fixed itself and now everything is back to normal.

Good news! May have been moisture somewhere? I hope a problem like this doesnt show up to my shop. Id lose my ass chasing a problem like this. Haha glad to hear it worked itself out. :thumbs:

Oh by the way matt, hows that secret weapon look? The one you were telling me about. :cool: Decide which vehicle to strap it down on?

Matt,

Did you ever try unplugging the battery to see if something might have needed resetting?

It's good that the problem has gone away but I am never satisfied if I don't figure out what the cause was. I just figure it's just a matter of time till it returns.

Good news! May have been moisture somewhere? I hope a problem like this doesnt show up to my shop. Id lose my ass chasing a problem like this. Haha glad to hear it worked itself out. :thumbs:

Oh by the way matt, hows that secret weapon look? The one you were telling me about. :cool: Decide which vehicle to strap it down on?

I'm guessing this was a strange moisture issue. As far as the secret weapon goes, I think I will be putting that on my 1969 C10, unless I find some L92 heads for my truck or 57.... Hahaha

Matt,

Did you ever try unplugging the battery to see if something might have needed resetting?

It's good that the problem has gone away but I am never satisfied if I don't figure out what the cause was. I just figure it's just a matter of time till it returns.

I had the battery disconnected many times, while I had the fuse block all taken apart and out of the truck. I agree with you I am never satisfied either when a problem just disappears but in this case it must have been water somewhere crossing some connections. Hopefully it never returns!!!