Truck Tries to Start when key is Turn to "ON"??

BlueAKSSS

Hey guys my truck started doing a weird thing this morning that I have never seen before. I went to leave for work and went to start my truck with the key and as soon as I turn my key to the ignition ON position (not start) the starter immediately cranks for a couple seconds stops then tries again. So what I have already done is completely removed my remote start system, checked the underhood fuse block, switched starter relays in the fuse block and a couple other things. I can't seem to figure this out and I have never seen this problem before and can't find much on it anywhere when searching. I'll see if I can make a quick video of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Id bet $100 its your ignition tumbler/cylinder. When you turn your key to on, its completing the "start" circuit and powering your signal wire that goes to your starter. Your starter motor has a constant 12V from the battery, and its own ground. Once it sees that little signal wire on the starter solenoid receive voltage, it tries to crank your truck... Thats my best guess.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Id bet $100 its your ignition tumbler/cylinder. When you turn your key to on, its completing the "start" circuit and powering your signal wire that goes to your starter. Your starter motor has a constant 12V from the battery, and its own ground. Once it sees that little signal wire on the starter solenoid receive voltage, it tries to crank your truck... Thats my best guess.

Thanks thats a very good guess! I wonder if there is a way I can test the switch to see if its doing just that (which it probably is)....

I think something's not right inside the ignition switch. When you move it to "on", it thinks its in "start". I can look up a component test for an ignition switch when I get back to work. I'd hate to have you throw a switch in it if its something else. Especially if they're expensive.

No it won't grind because the truck has some kinda built in safety that won't let it grind once the engine is running. I can hold down the switch while its running and it won't engage, and I can also start the truck regularly it I just turn the switch quick enough to sort of skip the ON position and go right to start and it starts right up. But if I leave it in "ON" without the engine running it will continue to try and start. I've got a video uploading of what it does but its taking a bit I'll post the link once its up.

I've got a ignition switch in will call at the dealer so I'll go pick that up. I can't imagine anything else being the problem at this point so I'll give this a try and its pretty cheap. I'll report back once I get it installed.

:thumbs: Let us know!

Well I replaced the switch which was pretty easy and everyone at the dealer said that had to be the problem as well. Problem is it did not fix the problem still does the exact same thing. I will say though that the new ignition switch really tightened up the key feels like a new truck. So my question is where do I go from here... this is such a strange problem!

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Just this morning when I went out to start it. I talked to a guy I know at the dealer and he talked to some service guys and apparently it could be a problem in the underhood fuse block causing the BCM to get power from an incorrect source. He said it could be caused from water getting into the fuse box and maybe corroding some connections. So I'm going to fully take that apart later today and clean everything up super well and check everything that I can and see if that fixes my problem.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Mine was almost the same prob. I changed the switch and put a new starter on and that cured it

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)