potato land build , 9's@140mph+ goal

idahoBLKss

yep still shooting for it! but i really just want it back on the road as of right now lol.

This I haven't touched mine in 6 months. Life has got crazy busy. so I know how you fill. its been 2 years for me. really missing it for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. So what are the specs? are the heads stock 317s or worked over?

Its a 10.3:1 408 , LSA heads, LS9 gaskets,ARP studs,stage 4 turbo cam from Tooley, melling oil pump , etc... just waiting on a 4"stroke windage tray , valve covers and a 3 bar map.

Nice should be a beast. the power off of boost will be fun to. but with the compression being 10.3:1 it wont have issues building boost. Did you hav ethe cam specd or off the shelf?

Did you assemble the shortblock or buy it done?

As far as the windage tray i've seen guys just spacer the factory one out. is that not a good idea or just cheaper to buy a windage tray? I never looked into it.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Nice should be a beast. the power off of boost will be fun to. but with the compression being 10.3:1 it wont have issues building boost. Did you hav ethe cam specd or off the shelf?

Did you assemble the shortblock or buy it done?

As far as the windage tray i've seen guys just spacer the factory one out. is that not a good idea or just cheaper to buy a windage tray? I never looked into it.

im hoping it will build boost fast and be a monster off the line as i know the top end will be killer. i called tooley to get a cam and they recommended there stage 4 turbo cam off the shelf. they said with the high comp. 408 and this cam that it should lite the turbo fast but he said it was on the smaller side for a 408 but should work out good since its going into a truck so will see how it does, i think ill have more power then i need any way... lol. i bought the short block from ATK out of texas assembled , i dont know the first thing about measuring and assembling a short block so i thought i would leave it to the professionals lol plus for the deal they gave me it was hard to pass up. as far as the windage tray i was going to spacer it but when i was measuring it, it put the oil pick up tube really close to the bottom of the pan which i wasnt happy with because you have to space it like a 1/2 inch at least to clear the rod bolts at the deepest stroke so i figured just get the right part for the job and be done.

Gotcha. Yeah it should be a beast either way. I enjoy putting these motors together. That's why I asked. I can see why you paid to have it put together. I'm the same way when it comes to transmissions. I pay people to do what they are good at and I do what I'm good at. You should have a blast in it. Boost is so much fun. Not sure mine will he going back to boost.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

The machine shop still had to do a little trimming on the 4" windage tray. Something to do with the truck pickup tube. The machinist just told me about it. I didn't see it. I let him out the long block together. Make sure you check it.

Interesting I'll see what they mean on Monday I guess. On a side note I drained the tank yesterday in prep to get some new fuel in there that e85 was in there for over a year. I used the pumps to drain the tank so I know they still work. IM getting excited hoping to get the motor dropped in Monday night. I'll be waiting on push rods and a tune from zippy before I can fire her up.