Transfer case clicking noise

is that the output shaft?? looks like it didnt get reassemblyed correctly

That is the output shaft in the pics. That is what is viewed when looking into the case between the seal and the bearing. It almost looks like the cage for the bearings or the metal backing on the seal has came apart from the seal. Think I'm gonna pull it out and get a better look at it.

That is the output shaft in the pics. That is what is viewed when looking into the case between the seal and the bearing. It almost looks like the cage for the bearings or the metal backing on the seal has came apart from the seal. Think I'm gonna pull it out and get a better look at it.

i wouldn't touch it if you just had a shop install it there should be some WARRENTY with it .....here link to vid of a truck I had in my shop with t-case goin out idk if yours sounds like this

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/blnawayss/IMG_0320_zpse5f3fae0.mp4

Well I pulled out the piece I found hang on the output shaft. Turns out it was not metal but it was plastic. I did some research and found out it is a plastic bearing cage. Looks like it just clips in around the bearings. Now to figure out what I am going to do about it. Might try to clip it back in and see what happens,worst case it falls back out and my bearing click around alittle till I get time to split the case and change the bearing. Everything still feels tight in there. Just some info for ya, alot of the new bearings are going to plastic cages instead of metal. Not sure why.

Well I pulled out the piece I found hang on the output shaft. Turns out it was not metal but it was plastic. I did some research and found out it is a plastic bearing cage. Looks like it just clips in around the bearings. Now to figure out what I am going to do about it. Might try to clip it back in and see what happens,worst case it falls back out and my bearing click around alittle till I get time to split the case and change the bearing. Everything still feels tight in there. Just some info for ya, alot of the new bearings are going to plastic cages instead of metal. Not sure why.

My guess was bearing cage when I first saw your pic's of it. So it sounds like your click could be bearing balls roaming around in the case? (Just guessing).

I think that if it was mine, and I knew for sure that the installer wasn't going to help me, I'd tear it apart immediately. If you've got loose parts moving around in there I'd be afraid something bad is gonna happen soon.

Good luck.

Post a follow up when you get it resolved.

My guess was bearing cage when I first saw your pic's of it. So it sounds like your click could be bearing balls roaming around in the case? (Just guessing).

I think that if it was mine, and I knew for sure that the installer wasn't going to help me, I'd tear it apart immediately. If you've got loose parts moving around in there I'd be afraid something bad is gonna happen soon.

Good luck.

Post a follow up when you get it resolved.

Downeast, your 100% right about the bearing roaming around. The clicking is the bearings making contact with each other. I pulled out the plastic cage out and going to explain to them what happened and hand it to the dealer. The customer service sucks so I really dont expect to much help from them but it is worth a shot. I looked into the tear down for the case if I have to do it and it doesn't look to bad to change that bearing. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the responses

Edited by tanker (see edit history)

i wouldn't touch it if you just had a shop install it there should be some WARRENTY with it .....here link to vid of a truck I had in my shop with t-case goin out idk if yours sounds like this

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii616/blnawayss/IMG_0320_zpse5f3fae0.mp4

Thanks for the vid. Man thank god my transfer case doesn't sound like that. That sounds horrible. Makes me feel better about my issue, a little.